Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Who carrys what watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
Factory Colonial case

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
Based on performance to date, I give this movement high marks. Not sure what kind of magic Dave worked on it other than to know he went over all the pieces parts with a fine toothed comb. Replaced two shafts/pinion gears and otherwise tweaked it here and there 'till she succumbed to his standards.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a 16s model 2 with an interesting "spider web" design from the last run in 1896. Keeps very good time. I"ll carry this one "Down under" for a month and let you know how it does when I get back.

Steve

Nov 21: After 26 days on tour in New Zealand and Australia, and only changing the hours, the watch is 27 seconds ahead. I think I'll keep it!!

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
my carry for now on
got this Ball/Ham999 from Buster, COA done by
Dave Abbe runs like Ball/Ham should +15 sec in one week in my pocket.All I did remove the original
Ball case and place it in no name salesman case.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
movement side.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Well not the fanciest watch I have but one I have come attached to . A Hamilton 992 c1929 in a salesman's case . I like the salesman's case easy to show .

Posts: 26 | Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada  | Registered: November 27, 2012
posted
This is the front of the watch

Hamilton 992 c1929

Posts: 26 | Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada  | Registered: November 27, 2012
IHC Member 1110
posted
Running my "new" Hampden, an 18S 15J O.F., one of those kind of scarce "W.J. Johnston" movements.Has a really cool wavy line damaskeen pattern and gilt screws and regulator.Rob Carter did a great job bringing it back to life,looks nice and keeps RR time!

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
I'll throw in a post for the new year, and the first South Bend in the thread, unless I somehow missed another one..

I'm a young guy at 22, and never thought I'd carry a pocket watch.. But I find myself hooking this one on a chain and taking it with me everywhere I go. 1909 South Bend 227 16s 21J.. I'm still "dialing it in", but right now it's losing less than a second a day.

My 229 "The Studebaker" is currently getting overhauled and will be a display cabinet show piece.. But all my other watches, I feel the same about them as I do the dozen or so 50's cars I've owned.. What good are they if you don't use them?

As a new guy here, thanks to everyone who has posted.. I enjoyed reading this thread!

Posts: 16 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2012

posted
Nice looking watch...

Nothing wrong with loving these old works of arts!!!

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
That is an outstanding dial. even with the age cracks. Lets see whats wrong here 22 and a dozen or so 50's cars.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
quote:
Lets see whats wrong here 22 and a dozen or so 50's cars.

Eugene you read my mind! That's a lot of big American steel at a young age.

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
posted
I grew up in a family of Studebaker addicts.. They've always been around in my life. I still have the '59 pickup I drove to high school at 16, and I've had nearly a dozen others. They were all fun cars and trucks. I'd buy one, play with it, fix it up a bit, sell it, and move onto the next one.. I got burnt out spending all of my spare time in the garage twisting wrenches, and got into South Bend watches.. A natural since Studes were also made in South Bend. Still expensive, but they take up a lot less space!

Posts: 16 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2012
IHC Member 1110
posted
Carrying my new Hampden this week, an 18S RR grade lever- set 21J Dueber Watch Co., which I got as a movement only from member Barry Hanstein.Runs great and looks right at home in the Dueber SB&B silverine case I put it in.

IHC Member 1110
posted
16S 19 jewel Hampden Railway model 5.

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
This new member pipes up with the fact that until last week, he was wearing the pocket watch he rec'd upon graduation from high school. That would be a 17j 12s Majestine Incabloc, hc. Heh.

But just lately I got two better watches of my own, one of which I will wear: a clean Waltham '92 17j Riverside because it's real pretty to look at and it held good time on one wind for 36 hours. My display-back 21j Hampden (1919) is sitting on my desk so that I can steal glances at the movement in action.

Ken H.

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
Ken congrads on finding this site. And WELCOME Big Grin

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Thanks, Eugene.

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
posted
Lately I've been wearing an unbuttoned vest on the weekends, ala Daniel Day Lewis in "Lincoln". When I do, I will wear a KW Waltham. Other days when I feel like a "big" watch I will carry an 18s Century, Trenton or Waltham. My favorite carrying 16s are a Bunn Special, a Waltham 645 19j, and a 992. When I wear a wrist watch I try to wear a trench watch so I can sort of enjoy the best of both worlds. When it is time to dress up I will usually wear a Bulova or Benrus wrist watch from the 20's or 30's.

Eric Wells

Posts: 137 | Location: Merrimack, New Hampshire in the USA | Registered: December 18, 2012
IHC Member 1110
posted
This week I'm carrying my newest addition, a 16s 19J Hamilton 996 with a Blind Man Montgomery dial.What a beautiful movement, I'm thrilled to finally get one!

Life Member
posted
this is mine

Posts: 131 | Location: Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas in the USA | Registered: May 11, 2013
posted
This month I'm carrying a '92 Vanguard hunter, in a Dueber case.

Posts: 134 | Location: Blackpool, England | Registered: February 04, 2010
posted
The dial.

Posts: 134 | Location: Blackpool, England | Registered: February 04, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
I'm currently carrying this one, back from the watchmaker about 2 weeks now, it is my daily carry. A Hamilton 992B in a stainless case, with a porcelain montgomery dial. Holding to less than 1 second a day at present.

Hamilton 992B

Posts: 7 | Location: San Francisco, California in the USA | Registered: May 17, 2013
Life Member
posted
Very nice South Bend and the above 992B.

I wear this 12S Elgin GM Wheeler 452 on occasion. It has a 14Kt white gold case with raised, yellow gold numerals, minute marks and hands. The seconds dial is sunk and has the same characteristics. A most elegant piece of art from 1926.

Posts: 85 | Location: North Texas in the USA | Registered: July 28, 2013
Life Member
posted
still very "new"

Life Member
posted
back

Life Member
posted
movement.....6 adjustments, 17j

IHC Member 1856
posted
Still hauling the mail. Hamilton 950B

Posts: 31 | Location: Anniston, Alabama in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
Great pic and theme Geary!

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Thank You Geary, for getting my Priority Mail boxes [watches that I sold] to there destinations.

IHC Member 1856
posted
Thanks guys, that is a hastily arranged pic, looks like just south of Lakeland Fl enroute to Memphis from Miami. About 36000 feet and doing 483 knots across the ground. This one is a daytime but most of our flying is backside of the clock. The mail likes to travel at night. About 130,000 lbs of mail on this one. Gene, keep em coming, plenty of room left. g

Posts: 31 | Location: Anniston, Alabama in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
Since 1 June 1970 (every day) it's been a post-production Hamilton 992B. One internal repair (dropped at airport security a long time ago) and one external repair (original bar and bow self destructed and disappeared - it took quite a search to find a "close enough" replacement)

Before that, a smaller Waltham that I have not yet identified - I recognize my incompetence to remove the back (looks snap on, maybe...). When I got it (handed down) it had a greenish crystal - which I promptly cracked. The replacement is nice and clear.

Looking for hints on how to identify the Waltham without removing the back. The face does not resemble anything I have found online, so far. San-serif numbers, slightly larger 12,3,9, second hand dial has concentric rings: inner ring has 60 divisions and is very narrow, outer ring has 6 divisions, with 10, 20, 30 in the middle of each box and dividing lines at 5, 15, 25,... Just a small "WALTHAM" as a label.

Kenneth Sloan

Posts: 222 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 01, 2014