Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Who carrys what watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Cecil,
I LOVE your watch! Beautiful!

I also love watches that are simple and not too complicated.

I can't say that I don't enjoy a High end, complicated model too, but most of what I own is of a standard "nature'

I also like the chain you use, it's unusual now-a-days, and you sure can't find them like that anymore.

Great Find!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
I forgot to mention that I do use a different watch these days.

I picked up a Beautiful Seth Thomas. It's a size 6s, new for me, and it's actually very clean and much better than the photos.

I had it cleaned locally, only because I had to go there for my mom anyway, and they offered to do it for next to nothing. Came out better than the pictures and runs perfect.

I have never really carried a Pocket Watch for that long, but I use this one all the time now.
I like the size, and since I got it at such a deal, I'm not worried about ruining it.

She's a keeper.

Sheila

113145-2 Seth 50.00

posted
The Movement

Sheila

113145-3 Seth 50.00

posted

Sheila

118145 Seth 50.00

posted

Sheila

113145 Seth 50.00

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Cecil, that is a very nice Waltham, I can see why you carry it....

Sheila, nice Seth, you know, I didn't know Seth Thomas made pocket watches till I became a member here at 185....You sure couldn't carry my Seth Thomas.... it's a mantle clock.... Big Grin

How do you carry the watch, in your purse or on a necklace...?

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Hey Sheila, Nice Seth Thomas. I'm also curious as to how you carry it. I like Seth Watches and have several in my collection. I really like hunter cased watches,but I can't carry them for everyday use,because I'm a truck driver and the cases seem to open in my watch pocket while I am driving.

Jerry, I also have several Seth Thomas mantle clocks,and also was surprised when I started collecting watches,and found Seth Thomas watches.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
I carry it in my purse, in the zippered compartment on the inside of the purse, however I also keep it in a padded pouch that I purchased here. They are great, and I have never had any problems with them, even when I just toss the watch in the "user" part of my purse.

I'm REALLY tough on a purse, so it says a lot about those pouches.

I often used to use a Watch Pin for my watches.

I'd just pin it to my blouse, attach the watch, and that's it!
I must say that I only wear a size 0s, and UNDER when I wear one of those, along with the consideration of the weight of the watch.

I've been looking at all types of ways to carry a watch, and have some really good ideas.

The first time I wore my Bracelet Pocket Watch I got some serious stares!!!

Take a look!

Sheila

Elgin wwholder 4

posted

Sheila

Elgin wwholder3

posted

Sheila

Elgin ww100

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Sheila - where did you get that bracelet? I have never seen anything like that! I have a couple of 0 size and 3/0 size pockets that I could wear if I had something like that bracelet. Neat!

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
Mary Ann,

Isn't it great! I found it on ebay, and I had to fight for it, but it was so worth it.

I had never seen one either, and have never seen another one since this one, and I have been looking too.

Wish I could help, but it looks like it may be pretty rare, but I will let you know if I ever see another one. Unless it's one other that I saw.

It's a Pansy bracelet, that says it's for a watch, but I have not seen it since it sold on ebay a long time ago. HOWEVER, you will have to fight me for that one. Eek Big Grin

Good luck!

PS This is the one that got away. It's actually a watch bracelet with diamonds.

Sheila

Pan Wtch Bracelet Diamz

posted
Another

Sheila

Pan Wtch Bracelet Diamw

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
That diamond watch bracelet is beautiful, but out of my budget, I'm afraid. Frown I'm going to have be to be on the lookout for a bracelet like yours, now that I know there is such an animal. Very clever!

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
That bracelet was too much for my budget too.

However, I sure would love to own it.

I like the old ribbons, used as a watch band, and have also used them, tied as a bow, and used as a pinned watch holder, on a blouse or shirt/dress.

I'm sure I have one shown on the board. I will look for it, and post when I find it.

I also have a Pocket Watch holder made for the wrist, that is crochet <sp? (sorry, that one is on my old computer.

All kinds of ways to wear a watch!

Good luck with the watch holder, I will keep an eye open for it too.

I found it!

Sheila

Ribbon Chain

posted
Another View

Sheila

Ribbon Chain20

posted
Cecil you watch is anything but simple. To me it is elegant and says alot about the person who wears it. Congrats.

IHC Member 1193

Posts: 216 | Location: Key Biscayne, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008
posted
I love to carry a pocket watch. A wrist watch tends to bother my typing at work. I carry a number of different watches. For a while I carried the 17J Illionois Bunn with Canadian dial (see other thred for pics). Its mainspring has broken but I have not gotten the spring replaced yet.

Current I carry a E. Howard 21j lever set watch I had inherited. I also carry some times an Elgin 15j, an IWC Waltham WM Ellery Key Wind Key Set. I just ordered a 4992B for carrying...

Here is the Howard

E Howard 23j LS

Posts: 32 | Location: Issaquah, Washington in the USA | Registered: February 27, 2009
posted
The movement of the Howard

Posts: 32 | Location: Issaquah, Washington in the USA | Registered: February 27, 2009
posted
I just got my 4992B so its my current carry watch..

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Here is one of my favorite to carry as it is thin and lite.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Page 2
Favorite lite, small watch to wear this week. Movement

Bill Carlson

IHC Life Member
Picture of Mitch Markovitz
posted
Here's my oldest and favorite.

I've had it since October 8th of 1965 when I announced to my family that I'd be working as a trainman one day. After the hysterics died down I went on to buy my first straight razor.

This Hamilton 992B has been with me through high school, art school, 3 railroads and a head on train wreck. It's like seeing an old friend every day.

Posts: 464 | Location: Northern Indiana in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2009
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Good photo. Nice watch. I have one just like it that was made in 1941. I bought mine from the original owner in 1977 for $85.00. He wanted what he had paid for it and since I was a railroader he figured that was good for both of us.

Bill Carlson

IHC Life Member
posted
Just got this Doxa, and I'm carrying it to see how well it keeps time.

Bob Murray

Posts: 218 | Location: Oak Harbor, Washington in the USA | Registered: May 21, 2009
posted
I carry a couple from time to time, a South Bend 429, Elgin grade 161 and sometimes this Elgin BWR grade 361.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
Lately, I've been switching off between a 16S 17J Waltham '99 model Royal, and a 978 Hamilton.Both are dead-on accurate, and make great carry watches!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Hi Sheila,
Just wondering if there are any makers marks on this, I'd like to find one for my daughters watch.

Ray

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...Elgin_wwholder_4.jpg

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
I carry this one around every once in a while. Hamilton 992L

Posts: 16 | Location: Cypress, California in the USA | Registered: October 04, 2009
posted
Poor picture but today it's a wristie. Seiko S-wave.

Posts: 57 | Location: Southwest Michigan in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2009
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
This is a great running Illinois. The case back is well worn though.

Bill Carlson

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
picture 2

Bill Carlson

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hard to choose, but most often it's either a Wm. McKinley 21J or a favorite of mine a Molnia 3602 with the standard 18J but very rare regulator from 1968 that keeps railway time and looks pretty used, but it can go places that the others I wouldn't consider. Then again I pocket a range of early 1900 dollar watches too. Like I stated, hard to choose.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010