Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 18
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Who carrys what watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I picked up this 16s, 17 jewel, adjusted Waltham Royal open face for $100 specifically to use as my carry watch. It keeps great time and although not a true "looker" (case back has some surface scratches, case opens just past Smile 90 degrees, bow and crown show wear from service), the dial and hands are mint, case shows no brassing, and the crystal is scratch free making it the perfect watch for me to carry every day. Excellent conversation piece. Folks always ask about it when I take it out to check the time. Just need to have crystal taken out to clean up the case edge between 2-3 o'clock. You can hardly see it in person, but the photos exaggerate it. Gold isn't peeling, just dirty in that area for some reason. I particularly like the movement and demaskeening on this watch.

Posts: 570 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 13, 2015
IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice looking Royal, Keith! You're right, that is a great carry watch,I have one like it, but mine has a center bridge and a separate escape wheel bridge finger.They were supposed to be a 3 -position watch, although not marked.Another under- appreciated but beautiful Waltham!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Thanks, Theodore. Would love to see photos of your Royal if you get a chance to post some. Mine needs to be sent out for a good COA. Not sure why the Royal is so underappreciated. Based on the fine performance it has given me, I'm impressed with the old girl.

Edit: And now that I understand what "brassing" actually is, I have to take back my comment above regarding no brassing on the case. The case is actually probably more brass than gold. Lol.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Keith, unfortunately I don't have a way to photograph it,otherwise I would.I just got mine out to use it, and just my luck, the mainspring let go, I had it serviced two years ago, but didn't have the MS changed,my luck with mainsprings hasn't been too good this year! I read somewhere that the Royal was named after Royal E. Robbins, one of the bigwigs at Waltham early on.They all are a "royal" looking movement!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I have to add that the Waltham "Royal" was named to commemorate that true "savior" of the American (Waltham) Watch Co. So the early R.E. Robbins (18s) and later "Royal" models are especially collectible as higher end "carry" watches.

Mr. Royal E. Robbins funded the company when it was in dire straits and then (most important) respected and absorbed the Nashua Watch Co. as a separate Engineering unit. It was Nashua engineering that put American Waltham Watch Co. in business with designs that remained effective for the next 75 years.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Sorry to hear of your main spring issue, Theodore. Hope you're able to get your watch up and running again.

Interesting information on the history of the Royal, Dave. Thanks. And nice watch. I just read about the Waltham, Nashua, Royal Robbins connection in Mike Harrold's book. Good stuff!!

IHC Life Member
posted
Newly serviced: 1902 Illinois Bunn Special

Kenneth Sloan

Posts: 222 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 01, 2014
IHC Life Member
posted
from the front:

Kenneth Sloan

posted
My most often carried watch is the Patek Philippe Chronometro Gondolo. An amazing timekeeper. Of all the RR timekeepers I own, this one never needs setting if I keep it wound. An intriguing story of this watch and its exclusive group of original raffle entrants can be found on the internet.

Posts: 18 | Location: Huntsvillle, Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2014
posted
Lets see if I can make this work , here is 2 orphans brought back to life , A P/S Bartlett movement in a silveroid case , and a "stick -on " dial ,the original was in poor shape , it needs hands to match the dial but I like it.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 2030
posted
Pretty watch gift for a classy lady. Thanks t my friend. Mark Clark
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Here is how and what I carry
Burlington 3 fingers 19j made by Illinois in display case.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Beautiful watch and fob Peter

Posts: 266 | Location: Wroclaw in Poland | Registered: May 06, 2013
IHC Member 1110
posted
Lately I've been using an 18s 21J 918 Rockford,my only railroad grade Rockford.Kind of a scarce watch.Beautiful damaskeening on these.

posted
I love those burlingtons, Peter!

IHC Member 1824
posted
Picked up this Ill Central last year for 50 bucks because I love the Montgomery dials. Wasn’t expecting much as was not running. Once I got it I found it wound okay so I gave it a slight bump against my palm and it starting running. Been running ever since, Every time I carry it it’s been a pretty darn consistent time keeper, loses about a minute every couple of weeks. Got it on me right now, best $50 I’ve spent in a while, who knew!

Ill Central

Posts: 148 | Location: Davie, Florida in the USA | Registered: March 26, 2013

posted
Nice 3x on your investment - Mr. Swift. Love the dial and 2 tone movement combo, too. Smile

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
posted
Really nice Illinois ! They really built some nice watches , the burlingtons are my favorite

IHC Member 1110
posted
This week, carrying my "new" South Bend, an 18s 15J open face 333.Great running watch!

Picture of Desmond Lundy
posted
This is my companion - serial 500,412

Posts: 785 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 25, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Recased, but still pretty. 1915ish Ball-Hamilton 999P.
First the dial side:

Kenneth Sloan

IHC Life Member
posted
and now, the movement:

Kenneth Sloan

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Ken,

Can you provide the movement number?

Thanks.

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
This week I'm running a 16S South Bend 17J 217, in a Crescent swing-ring silveroid case.A really nice "almost" railroad grade that gets overlooked for some reason.

posted
Nice one Ken , and Theo I have a little southbend I am partial to also ,the 217 is a very well made watch

IHC Member 2030
posted
Carry the three finger Pete today

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Nice,that lager makes me thirsty.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
...and the watch fob perfect! I used to have one.

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 2030
posted
Yes Mark
Your posts about family ties to "nights & weekends"rwy are appreciated.
Served 10 years in the '80s all over the road.
Mostly at Norfolk Terminal Division, coal piers.
Hard work, great memories.
Mike

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I still can't figure out how I let my fob get away from me. Frown

I also have/had a C&O fob, and a Seaboard Coast Line version somewhere.

Too much 'stuff'. Roll Eyes

Once again, my friend, you have good taste in watches and fobs. Wink

Regards! Mark

Wink

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
My first post. Let's see if I can get it
to behave. I'm Keith R... from the green board.
I carry an AT&Co grade key wind and an English
verge 1834. Every now & then, a CH Meylan.
Happy holidays to all.

Keith

Keith R...

Posts: 27 | Location: Raywick, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: December 06, 2015
IHC Member 2030
posted
Welcome Keith
Please show pictures of your carry watches.
Welcome to the exciting world of Internet horology!
Mike

posted
welcome bryan