Reply to Post

Who carrys what watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Thanks guys, just call me Keith. I'll
figure out how to on photos tonight and
post my carry's.

Keith R...

AT&Co

Posts: 27 | Location: Raywick, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: December 06, 2015
posted
And the front (tried 2 photos per post, it did not like that). Keith

I cased this movement in a Dennison case for a carry watch.

You know guys, having been around chapters
for awhile one comes to recognize posts
are few and far between, no matter where
you land. Content is an elusive character. k...

PS, I have several of these, so I typed an oops, this one purchased
cased in this manner. I have another I cased in an ALD case.

Keith R...

AT&Co

Posts: 27 | Location: Raywick, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: December 06, 2015
posted
My latest back home from service. Time to
carry this one from my Civil war era, Wm Ellery
1864. Keith

Keith R...

IHC Member 1110
posted
This week I'm using a 16s 17J Elgin B.W. Raymond in a nickel case made by Wadsworth, marked "Made for Elgin Nat'l Watch Co., has an extra bold "49" dial.Great watch!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1110
posted
This week I'm using my latest Hampden, a 16s 4th. model 19J Railway,fully marked, in its original 20 yr. Dueber case.Have wanted one of these to go along with the 5th. model version I already had.What a beautiful movement these are!

IHC Member 2030
posted
Carry the ol' McDonald today with Wright plane fob.
Elgin in Santa Fe case

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015

posted
LoL - Mike...

Glad to see the old 7j is still kicking up dust!

You made my day... Big Grin

"Rise up this mornin',
Smiled with the risin' sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
Sayin', "This is my message to you-ou-ou:

Singin': "Don't worry about a thing, worry about a thing, oh!
Every little thing gonna be all right. Don't worry! "

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Member 1110
posted
This week I'm switching between an 18s 21J Hampden North American Railway open face, and 19J Waltham 645 model '99 with a Montgomery dial.Both run great and keep RR time.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Finally got a nice 18s Hampden 21J John Hancock open-face railroad watch, running good in my pocket.Cased in its original Dueber silverine SB&B case.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Right now I'm carrying my latest Hampden, a gorgeous 18s 17J New Railway open face, model 3, I got it as movement only with no hands and a junk dial, cased it in a sharp Crescent short stem swing ring, put a nice DS "Canton" dial off a parts John Hancock movement, Rob Carter did a great job on it, COA and new mainspring.This one has a gold Teske regulator on it and is keeping railroad time!Another under rated Hampden RR watch.

IHC Member 2030
posted
Carried a Hampden today, thanks Denise !
Killer Hampden

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Member 2030
posted
Boom in the pocket

IHC Member 1110
posted
Using a new to me Elgin, a 16s 19jewel 455 B.W.Raymond, with a bold Montgomery dial, cased in a really sharp NAWCO RR case I got from Jon Hart,Rob Carter did a great job with a COA and mainspring.Looks and runs like a brand new watch!

posted
I've only started collecting for about the last 6 mos - I carry a these watches from my collection:

Elgin 94 (6s) 2169458 (1887) with Deuber coin silver hinged case

Elgin 220 (16s) 9894760 (1903) with Illinois nickel silver case

Elgin 63 (18s) 343075 (1874) with Philadelphia Silverode hinged case. Can be KW or pendant wind, lever set.

All of them keep great time.

They make excellent conversation pieces - people are amazed that things that old still work well..

William Payne

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: June 20, 2016
IHC Member 2030
posted
Welcome to the conversation William.
Please show pics!
Agreed, when people you meet see an interesting timepiece, they invariably ask- what do you have there?

posted
Aloha members, my carry is an 18 size Elgin 23 jewel VERITAS in an original open face gold filled case. DS dial in perfect condition. The VERITAS has a large thick balance wheel which is a dream to watch vibrate. Mahalo for asking, Mike

Posts: 106 | Location: Honolulu, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: June 12, 2016
IHC Member 1110
posted
Lately I'm using my 16s 23J Riverside Maximus,what a beautiful watch, keeping near perfect time!There are some pics of it in the pocket watch forum.

posted
Aloha, Today I am carrying a Waltham, 18 size 21 jewel Vanguard, Model 1892, Open Face. Keeping pretty good time but I think it is time for a cleaning and oiling!! Mahalo,

Posts: 106 | Location: Honolulu, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: June 12, 2016
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Yesterday I carried a 1982 Bulova Accutron RR Approved quartz pocket watch in stainless steel case for the first time in 28 years. Let me explain.....

In the early 80's I was working at an industrial plant videotaping large pieces of electrical equipment where I could not chance wearing one of my 3 pocket watches I owned at the time. I purchased said Bulova brand new from my local jeweler and carried it for a couple years, when the economy tanked and our area became part of the infamous 'rust belt' in the Ohio River Valley.

I moved my family to Florida for work, and in 1988 I sold my Accutron for grocery money to one of my wife's uncles who lived in South Florida and worked on a short line sugar cane railroad. That was the last time I saw the watch.

Fast forward to last month.....we long ago relocated to Tennessee for work, and last month went up to Kentucky for a visit. My wife's South Florida aunt and uncle had retired and moved back to Kentucky, so we stopped by to see their new house. During that visit, her uncle asked in passing if I remembered that watch, and of course I did. He said he had dropped it in the course of his work years ago and had 'broken the dial', and asked me if I wanted it? He'd be happy to just give it back to me as a keepsake. Of course I said 'YES!'

What was broken was NOT the dial, but the crystal! The back of the case was scratched badly, but otherwise, there was my watch!

I sent it down to Chris Abell to see if there was any hope for the piece, and literally within an hour of him receiving it in the mail, he sent me an email saying 'all done.'!! Huh? All he had to do was replace the crystal, buff out the scratches, and install a new battery! It fired up like brand new!

Yesterday was the first time I wore trousers with a watch pocket, and got to wear it to work again......after a 28 year absence and it actually working on a short line railroad for many of those years, it has returned home and is STILL keeping railroad time.

Nothing like the masterpieces shared here, but one with a REAL personal history. I'm pleased.

I have no photos, but it's exactly like this one, but in a stainless steel case:

https://www.google.com/search?...rc=pNKC29NSV76j5M%3A

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Mark,

Happy to hear the watch is back in your collection and that Chris was able to work his magic! Wink

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
ME too, Dr. Debbie! Carrying it again today! Smile

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1725
posted
Mark, it is really great when we can get back things we once had, it's a good feeling.

Wonderful story!!!
Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Great story Mr.C
Make sure you let your grandson know the story once he get older.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks, and will do, Peter! Smile

Regards! Mark

IHC Member 1110
posted
Right now I'm using my latest Hamilton, beautiful 16s 17j 954L, has it's original DS dial & hands.Lives in a ygf Philadelphia case.These have gold jewel settings and a really cool zig-zag line damaskeening pattern, sharp looking movement!

posted
Today's watch is a Elgin Grade 349. Most of the time a 992 Hamilton. Too many watches...too little time Smile

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Lately it's been a Hamilton 990 from the last run of 990s. A great time keeper, within 20 seconds a week.

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted
For the last week or so it has been a 1892 model Vanguard 23 jewels.

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted
movt.

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
Today I dug out my Waltham 19 jewel 645. Only 1950 made. No photo, but it looks pretty much like the 19j Riverside, with the circular damaskeening. I have a thing for 19 jewel watches. The 19j Crescent street (400 made) has damaskeening like its 21j counterpart.

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Sounds like a beauty, Kevin! Smile

Regards! Mark

posted
Thanks, Mark. I have a 1948 992b which I got as a birth year watch. I don't use it because someone re installed the hairspring 50 degrees off, and it runs like the old "syncopated clock". "ta-tick ta-tick ta-tick".
I'm in luck as I usually wear blue jeans. I have very few slacks with watch pockets, though most of my light weight travel/hiking pants do. One even has a velcro closure, which means I can use a strap and fob instead of a chain.

best,
Kevin

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Kevin, I too have a thing for 19 (and 17) jewel RR watches, also have a 19J 645 with a Montgomery dial,and a 19J Riverside, some of the nicest Walthams .Mine both keep railroad time.I'm getting a 16s 19J Vanguard this week, can't wait to get that one!....Ted.