Reply to Post

Who carrys what watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
and the face

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
And inside the back,Two names : Sydney S Bunting and Aubrey R Bunting.
Father and son I guess.I can find Aubrey Bunting as a 1909 Princeton grad and army officer in 1917, but nothing to say his father was Sydney.
Can anyone else find anymore?

Thanks,
Steve

IHC Member 1110
posted
This week I'm running my "new" Hampden,a 16S 21J open face Wm. McKinley (4th model bridge movement).

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

So far on the Bunting's on your watch, the only Sydney S & Aubrey R. that I can find that are connected were brothers.

Sydney's parents were Josiah & Sarah S.Bunting. Josiah was born July 12,1845 in Pa & was a grocery merchant. Sarah was born about 1850 in Pa. she died June 26, 1888. Of their children there was Sidney S. born July 29,1875 in Pa. They were living in Chester, Delware, Pa. in 1880

It looks like Sydney died on February 19,1897.

After Sara's death Josiah married Elizabeth (born Sept 1845 Pa.)They had a son Aubrey R. Bunting who was born Nov 1889 in Pa. In 1900 they were living in Philadelphia Pa.

Josiah died August 5, 1930.

Josiah, Sarah & Sydney are buried at the Darby Friends Cemetery in Delaware County Pa.

If these are your Buntings, perhaps it explains the two names. That first the watch was given to Sydney but after his early death given to Aubrey.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Tom!
Did you see anything to say the Aubrey you found is the Princeton grad I found ?
Also there is an Aubrey R Bunting in the Darby Friends Cemetery born Nov 29 1887.Maybe a date got entered wrong somewhere. Could be him since his father and brother are there.
I'll keep digging !!

Thanks again Tom!
Steve

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

I think you are right on his dob, I found it listed both ways but several times I have seen that mistake being made in different records.

I also missed seeing him in the records for the cemetery.

I don't find anything about this Aubrey going to Princeton.

In the 1910 census he has married but he & his wife are living with his parents in Philadelphia. Both he & his father are listed as Dry Goods merchants. I don't know if they were both working for John Wanamaker's store in Philadelphia but at one point Josiah was.

Aubrey was married to Mary P. born about 1888 in Pa.

One other note, Josiah was apparently financially well off, in every census I find him in a servant is also listed with the family.

Here is Aubrey's WWII draft card, I found his WWI card but it is mostly unreadable.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

I take that back about Princeton, there was an Aubrey Reeves Bunting that got his BA there sometime around 1909-1910

Apparently there is a scholarship at Princeton in both his & his fathers name. "Josiah and Aubrey Reeves Bunting Memorial Scholarship. Established in 1966 by the will of Madeleine M. Starr, widow of Aubrey Reeves Bunting, Class of 1909, in memory of Josiah and Aubrey Reeves Bunting. For undergraduate and graduate aid."

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
From the June 4, 1909 New York Times

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
NY Times June 24, 1909

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Chester Times 06/07/1930

IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Tom,

Thanks for all your efforts, your knack for detecting is terrific.

Thanks again.

Steve

posted
I'm carrying this Hamilton 946 at the moment.

Posts: 134 | Location: Blackpool, England | Registered: February 04, 2010
posted
2nd photo.

posted
Final photo.

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
This is my favorite for this week. Its nice and thin and light.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
This Hamilton 999,# B614887 will stay warm the rest of the year in my watch pocket.

Bill Carlson

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Here are the innerds,, Pretty !!

Bill Carlson

IHC Member 1110
posted
This week, running a 21 jewel Waltham 845 in a Keystone YGF swing case.Haven't had to reset it all in a whole week!

posted
I'm new to the club and railroad watch collecting. I got started because my Grandfather worked all his life for railroads, mainly the B&o and C&O and his son was track supervisor for the B&O. I couldn't find their RR watches that I remembered as a child, so I began finding my own. I carrying a RR watch every day to honor them. I'm noe carrying a Waltham 'Premier" 23J Vanguard, 1941. I like the ritual of winding your watch in the morning, giving pause to think about past times, and have a good start to the present day. Thanks for 'listening.Will
TomZ

Posts: 1 | Location: Martinez, California in the USA | Registered: January 21, 2011
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Hi and Welcome Tom,

We all like pictures of watches, so how about putting some of yours on here too.

Bill

Bill Carlson

posted
I had been carrying a Elgin 3 finger bridge in a silverode case. But I have started to carry whatever I have serviced last. This week I am carrying a Waltham P.S. Bartlet 18s in a silverode case. I really like silveode type cases.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
I prefer to carry my Hampden 105 when I have a watch pocket to put it in. I first wore this watch in the watch pocket in the bib of my Whitefield overalls when running freight trains in 1964.

Posts: 45 | Location: Maine in the USA | Registered: April 27, 2010
Picture of David A. Vasarab
posted
I'm with Larry. My hampden 105 is one of the best watches that I have carried. If I don't have a watch pocket, my hip pocket with the proper chain is fine!

Posts: 76 | Location: Parma, Northern Ohio USA | Registered: January 02, 2006
posted
Every time I try to carry a pocket watch I break something, or a hand drops off, or SOME dang thing; then of course one has to wind it every day which is a pain if you forget 'cause it has to be reset. I hate the darn things as a carry watch. I wear a Citizen eco-drive wristwatch (minute repeater). It never needs winding, tough as nails, keeps near perfect time. Some day I'm gonna sell all these wimpy pocket watches...I swear I will!

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
posted
Citizen ECO-drive? isn't that on of them watches that when they break you just throw them out? That sure eliminates the servicing hassel. Anyway, I have been using pocket watches for 25 yrs, never had a hand fall off and setting it is not an issue. Never dropped one and I don't use a chain, just hold it really tight when viewing it. I like wrist watches but unfortunately I have a very very skinny wrist and after a few hours of wearing a wrist watch it usually starts to bother me in one way or another, but I still like them and have a few Longines manual wind and automatics for wearing at dinner engagements. For my daily grind I like to rotate through a Hamilton 946, Bunn 161 or Ball 999B / 999. On weekends I'll usually carry a 23j 16s Elgin up/down. Use it or loose it....... pic of my 161 attached

Posts: 311 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2011
posted
Welcome Tom, what a fantastic club you've found. LOL call me when you're ready to get rid of all of those pesky, annoying old pocket watches Tom. I'll take them off your hands. See what great guys are here Tom? Always ready to jump in and help a fellow member.

Bud

quote:
Some day I'm gonna sell all these wimpy pocket watches...I swear I will!

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Tha past week I've been carrying my "new" Hamilton 992L.Has a B.M. Montgomery dial and YGF Crossbar case.Great timekeeper!

IHC Member 1110
posted
This week, using a 16S Hampden 21J Wm. McKinley, like all Hampdens, a strong running excellent timekeeper!

posted
I see this question started back in 2003. The pride inherent in each Reply demonstrates a great respect for the/our hobby/business. I have a bit of a different take on the subject. First and foremost, any collected pocket watch I have could be potentially sold, down the road, a year or a hundred years from now, so I have an absolute rule for myself: I never carry any watch I might sell. I’m just sure you want to buy my abused watch with, ‘man-grease’, all over it! I do test them, but on a table covered by a thick felt cushion, under glass. I never handle them without a felt glove, like coin collectors have shown us is the best way. I am still amazed at how many watches I get with corrosive fingerprints on them. I don’t get it, really.
If I were to carry any PW it would have to be a Hamilton 4992B, rough and tough with a case that could not be crushed. But, since any PW of mine, whether during this generation or ten generations from now, could be sold, I do not carry even the toughest ones. Frankly and besides that, though I like the precious metal cases (who doesn’t), I cannot imagine an actual working man, one who actually did real work, carrying any of the soft cases. To collect, yes. To use and carry, crush and crinkle, smash and cause it to be unusable and/or unsellable, no way. Even back in the day, I would have crushed the heck out of any precious metal case while doing even routine work, doing what I do/did. It would inhibit the actions of my normal movements, those necessary to get jobs done. Watches are now used as accessories in a wardrobe or for different activities, etc. What to carry can vary with the outfit, like jewelry does. I realize that. I grew up in the fifties when, as a kid, if you even had a watch, you had one and only one, never imagining today’s variations in matching a/the watch to what is worn, or matching a/the watch to/with any particular activity, etc.
I know this discussion/question refers specifically to our favorite pocket watches, but I must answer the question: There is only one watch on the planet, easily in first place, to be of practical use to carry as a reasonable and rational, indestructible and functional timekeeper, second place being too far down the realistic list to even mention. That watch, the one to wear, to carry, is the wristwatch: CASIO (3061) GW-8000 ST. STEELBACK MADE IN THAILAND / ST 20BAR SHOCK ABSORBING STRUCTURE. On the front, it says: CASIO MULTIBAND 5 WAVE CEPTER (It receives automatic atomic clock timing updates from five locations throughout the world: two in Japan, one in The USA, one in The UK and one in Germany.). It also, and very importantly says, “TOUGH SOLAR”, with a battery level indicator. Also, when not in use for a period of time it, “SLEEPS”, to save its battery, which has never gone below, “High”, on mine, even though I work inside. It can be set so that, at night, or in the dark, all one has to do is tip it up a bit to see the time, and its light automatically comes on, turning off automatically a short time later.
So, you have atomic clock accuracy, being solar powered, never needing a battery change, no buttons to push to see the time in the dark or for any other function, indestructible, even coming with the latest quick squeeze-and-release band that is a breeze to take off. For everyday practical use I will take function over form, any day. It’s a watch you never touch or adjust, like the lights on my car, never even thinking about what they are doing, being all automatically appropriate for conditions. I study, look at, admire, test and like my pocket watches, but would never wear one.

Not me but could be...

Posts: 3 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
This week, started carrying my new work watch-a 16S 17J Waltham, street railway gr. 637, lever-set, adjusted 3 positions.Keystone SB&B silveroid, so I can't wear it out!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I carry my 992B which got all "correct" thanks to invaluable luck and friendship. This watch must "like me", cause it stays within a second a day when I carry it Wink, but sulks away about 2 seconds a day when I leave it on it's stand Frown.

Took off the back cover so you could see the movement. Pretty nice for a 60 year old.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1110
posted
This week, carrying my "new" Waltham-a 16S '08 model 17J grade 636, a rare street-railway lever set, gold trim 4-position movement.After years of wanting one,finally found a nice onee I could afford.Keeps about perfect time!

IHC Life Member
posted
How about something a little older than these "new" old watches?
Waltham model 1857 11 jewel. After lots of cleaning and a new main spring, it seems to run well and keep good time for almost 150 years old.