Tools
Reply to Post

CANADIAN Private-Label Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hamilton private-label bold Arabic 24-hour dial marked "W.H. Grassie, (in script) VANCOUVER" pocket watch comes in a Hamilton yellow gold filled bar over Crown case

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hamilton 16 size, 21 jewel, Grade 992, lever set, Serial No. 2372653, manufactured 1926, double roller, adjusted 5 positions,

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Walter H. Grassie is listed in the 1891 census for Vancouver as being a watchmaker, he was born about 1861 in Ontario. He was married to a Charlotte Grassie & they had a son who was two months old at the time, he was William Walter Grassie & a daughter Pearl who was 2 years old.

In 1901 they are still in Vancouver, he was born 22 Jan. 1861, his wife 1 Sept. 1861, the son William 6 March 1891 & the daughter Pearl born 5 Oct. 1888.

In 1911 they have an additional son Amot. The son William is also listed as a watchmaker in this census.

The son William also served in the Canadian Military during the 1st WW, on the forms he is listed as a jeweler. Unfortunately he apparently died 22 April 1915. He was in the Canadian Infantry (Alberta Regiment)10th Bn., he is buried in Belgium.

Found where Walter opened the store in 1886. Walter died 3 April 1941 & Charlotte 7 Nov. 1939

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Found this;

"April 3 Walter Henry Grassie, jeweller, died in Vancouver, aged 80. He was born January 22, 1861, in Seaforth, Ontario. Educated in Seaforth, he entered the jewelry business there. Grassie arrived by CPR train in Port Moody in July 1886, came to Vancouver by boat. His first shop was a little wooden building on Cordova. His store was “particularly favored by railway men.”

Here;
http://www.vancouverhistory.ca/chronology1941.htm

IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Larry thank you once more for a vision into my past.My great grandfather only had two children, Pearl and William who was killed at St. Julian in WW 1. Grassies opened in the fall of 1886 in Vancouver. I seek these watches far and wide so far nothing as special as you have located. But as jealous as I might be I am surely grateful that they are in the hands of a person who truly appreciates the history and is willing to share with us.
Walter Grassie Colk

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Walter

Nice to meet a relative of someone I have researched, sorry about the error of three children. I went back & pulled up the 1911 census & it would appear the census taker made an error, they listed the person named Amot as a son but going back & looking again they listed the place of birth as Japan & the occupation as a domestic. So I would guess this person was a servant & not a son.

Tom

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is my latest Canadian private-label a Hamilton Grade 940 private-label.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Dial close-up no hairlines

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Movement

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Movement close-up needs a case screw

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Case back

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Case back inside

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Case Cashier trademark 25 year gold filled from the American Watch Case Co. of Toronto, Ontario

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
This watch Hamilton Grade 940 Serial No. 566416 Finished October 11, 1907 sold October 11, 1907 to the Montréal Watch Case Co., Double sunk Arabic 24 hour dial GM Rioch, Kenora, Ont. I have attached photos of another Hamilton Grade 940 from the Doug Sinclair's collection that is posted on page 4 of this thread

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
It is Serial No. 567084 Finished October 11, 1907 sold October 11, 1907 to the Montréal Watch Case Co. Double sunk Arabic 24 hour dial GM Rioch, Kenora, Ont. while both watches were finished and sold on the same day the Serial numbers have a difference of 668 in the serial number run. Where I have a private-label that was finished and sold with sequential serial numbers, this proves that some of these private-label marked dials were far apart they were finished and sold on the same date.

posted
This is a recent addition to my collection,
I wish the dial did not have that ugly repair to it, but am going to keep as is, as it is a private label. Both Dial and Mvmt have C.S. Mcleod & Co'y., Amherst N.S.

posted
mvmt

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hamilton Grade 924 18 Size, 17 Jewel, Serial No. 130118 private-label single sunk Roman numeral marked J.L. Wilson, Woodstock, Ont. movement marked J.L. Wilson SPECIAL Woodstock, Ont. Date finished August 31, 1900, Date sold September 14, 1900 to the Montréal Watch Case Co. second of the run from 130117-130120 finished and sold that day to the M.W.C.Co.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Dial2

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Dial close up