Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

CANADIAN Private-Label Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
"Hare's SPECIAL" Signed movement! with . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
About a zillion timing service markes inside the nicely used swing case!

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Dave:

Nice Hamilton private-label from Oshawa, Ontario and the dial is like my L.H.Doll Calgary N.W.T. Shown earlier page 2 I believe. Oshawa is located alongside Lake Ontario about 50 miles west of Toronto. It was originally owned to the MacLachlan Carriage Works who manufactured the first Buicks around 1915. it has since become a major manufacturing plant for General Motors. It is serviced by both the Canadian Pacific and Canadian National Railways

IHC Member 1115
posted
HP GARDNER INDIAN HEAD,NWT
single sunk 24 hour dial
Hamilton Salesman sample display case

IHC Member 1115
posted
movement HAMILTON 926 17 jewel GARDNER'S SPECIAL
serial #478711 aproximatly 1904

IHC Member 1115
posted
This worked so well that I just had to show it.Indian Head private label on early Indian motorcycle front fender ornament.Holds it perfectly.

IHC Member 1115
posted
JOHN T STEMSHORN
REGINA NWT

IHC Member 1115
posted
movement
15 jewel Lever set Longines
serial # 1511977
approximatly 1904

The only information I could find was that
JOHN T STEMSHORN was a Dominion Government Immigration agent in Regina in 1890

IHC Member 1115
posted
Very similar to the Dominion Railway Waltham on page 6.
24 hour dial with CPR on tender
Incorrect salesman sample case.

IHC Member 1115
posted
movement
18 size waltham 1883 model
17 jewel adjusted lever set
with Canadian Pacific Railway Sheild
serial # 6008123
approximatly 1892

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Tim here is my Gardner's Special

17 JEWELS 9086085 ADJUSTED SAFETY PINION
GARDENER' S SPECIAL
1899 Grade 250

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Elgin movement

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
21 JEWELS ADJUSTED TO TEMP. AND 6 POSITIONS MADE IN SWITZERLAND
6500 BEDFORDE RAILROAD NON-MAGNETIC 104

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
BEDFORDE MOVEMENT

I found some interesting information about these watches in "Railroaders Corner" evidently these watches were only approved on the Canadian National Railways the reason Canadian Pacific would not approve them is that they were made from eubauce movements and the CPR were concerned that substandard parts could be placed in the watches.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
WATSON BROTHERS CALGARY ALTA

14015215 5 POSITIONS 21 JEWELS ADJUSTED
Crescent St. WALTHAM, MASS. 1904

I found this interesting sidenote in history:

Guide to the Alberta Legislature

The Mace, the ceremonial staff the Sergeant at Arms carries into the Chamber each sitting day, is the symbol the Speaker's authority of for the authority of the Assembly. When the Assembly is sitting, the Sargeant at Arms places the Mace on the table with the orb and cross facing the government side of Chamber. When the Speaker leaves the Chair and the Assembly sits as a committee of whole House, the Mace is moved to brackets on the underside of the table. Although the Mace has no constitutional significance, it is so important as a symbol that the Assembly cannot conduct its business unless the Mace is present. Its history goes back to Medieval England.

Here in Alberta the first Legislature was caught off guard just before the first sitting there was no Mace. Because nobody so much as suggested that a sitting could be held without it. Alexander Rutherford's Liberal Government ordered the rush construction of one from Watson Brothers Jewelry of Calgary

Watson Brothers hired Rufus E. Butterworth to do the job. He came up with Alberta's first Mace, made entirely of scrap, in only a few weeks time. It's shaft was plumbing pipe mounted on a toilet tank float. Ornamental decorations around the orb were made from old shaving mug handles, bits of an old bedstead, and other scraps of wood. A piece of red velvet and a coat of gold paint provided the finishing touches, and the Mace was sent to Edmonton in time for the Legislature's March 15, 1906, opening ceremonies at the Thistle curling rink. Remarkably, the makeshift Mace was used for 50 years. It was finally replaced on February 9, 1956, when the provincial employees union presented a new Mace to the Legislature Assembly on Alberta's 50th anniversary.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
CRESCENT ST. MOVEMENT

Movement made 1904, Alberta became a Province in 1905.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Early Illinois Movement--- NOT--- I am surprised nobody caught me on this, what we have here is an Aurora

Charles Stark No.129891 Safety Pinion
Toronto on the barrel bridge, All in Script

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Charles Stark movement

IHC Member 1115
posted
Hi Larry,

Very nice INDIAN HEAD NWT.
It definatly has the cool factor.
I have done some googleing and found a bit of interesting history.
http://64.17.133.62/historyname.html
Article on the shipping of buffalo bones on the CPR.
http://www.ourroots.ca/e/page.aspx?id=546062

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Tim

Indian Head was on the CPR's main line about 21 miles east of Regina the provincial capital, about 50 miles northwest Indian Head is Fort Qu'Appelle a fur trading outpost pioneering buy my great grand father Charles Fisher a Scottish fur trader, he originally came from Prairie du Chien Wisconsin, but when the settlers started to crowd the first nations people out he moved his family to the Red River settlement in Manitoba, the white settlers came once again and wanted all the rich farmlands. So the Metis (Metis were half breeds as in the case of Charles Fisher who took a full breed Indian as his bride) were bought out by the federal government every man, woman, and child were offered Script which amounted to either $230 or 236 acres of land. Many of the naïve Metis took the money or the land and were soon left penniless from bootleggers and unscrupulous land agents. My great-grandfather moved the family to Fort Qu'Appelle where he was quite successful in establishing a fur trading outpost, and another one in Batoche which became famous during the Riel rebellion in the 1880s, when the uprising was quelled. The federal government once again offered Script to all the Metis living in Saskatchewan the amount offered this time was 190 acres of land or $190 a very interesting I only reason discovered, courtesy of the archives at the Glenbow Museum in Calgary Alberta where all the Script information is on microfilm. And it is available to the public for family genealogy research. The Grand Trunk Pacific Railway ram through Fort Qu' Appelle and Lebret where my mother was born, my grandfather Augustin worked as a Section Foreman at Lebret before World War I

IHC Member 1115
posted
Hi Larry,

Very interesting family history and information on script.

IHC Member 1115
posted
D.E.BLACK & CO.
LIMITED
single sunk 24 hr dial