Tools
Reply to Post

CANADIAN Private-Label Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Nice D.A. Reesor private-label Tom, busy dial, Canadian case, and good looking movement. I'm envious Smile

Larry

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Well that is a 1st for me, someone envious of something I have.

Actually Larry when I saw it on ebay, I thought I should do one or two things. Better buy it now before Larry sees it or better get a hold of Larry & tell him about it in case he wants it. But since I am so jealous of all your great watches I let greed win out.

I like it, I even carried it to work this afternoon.

Tom

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Thanks to David Abbe a Waltham with a Roman Numeral 24-hour dial from a jeweler named Thomas Lees in Hamilton, Ontario.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Waltham 1883 PS Bartlett tu-tone movement.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Larry, how unusual was the use of the dial as seen on the watch in the post above? Specifically roman numerials on the outer chapter ring, and arabic numbers on the inner ring? Were they considered railroad approved in Canada?

I have an Elgin BWR 240 with this kind of dial, and wasn't familiar with this kind of application before until I saw these photos. The only differences between mine and the one above is mine is double sunk and has Elgin in the place where the private label appears.

Regards! Mark

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Mark:

I believe there must have been used extensively on Canadian railways, here is a picture of a Seth Thomas Canadian National Railways World comparison clock with the same type of dial.

Larry

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Back the clock with CNR markings, and my sons cat Gary checking it out.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is another example of a Seth Thomas No. 17 Regulator, it came out of the Locomotive Engineers booking in room at the CPR Calgary (Alyth) Diesel shops, this clock remained in service until around 1986, and it must've fallen through the cracks, as it was not given a more modern aluminum silkscreened dial with the Arabic 24-hour dial that most of the systems comparison clocks were fitted out with in 1969.

Larry

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Interesting! Well, COOL! I have a Canadian BWR railroad watch, and didn't even know it! Smile

I guess one can only wonder about the 'method to the madness' regarding using two different number styles on the outer and inner chapter rings. Confused

Anyway, thanks, Larry!

Regards! Mark

Picture of Mike Rouse
posted
Here is one I picked up today . A C STANNERS TORONTO , 1883 Waltham CPR . Got it from running an add on CRAIGSlist about buying old bottles and watches . It runs great , but will get a service at a later date . Mike

Picture of Mike Rouse
posted
And another shot

Picture of Mike Rouse
posted
one more

Picture of Mike Rouse
posted
close up

Picture of Mike Rouse
posted
final shot .

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Nice 1883 CPR Waltham Mike, would like to see a picture of the dial.

Larry

Picture of Mike Rouse
posted
Larry , here is a shot of the Dial . Do you think this is all original , the case is my only concern. There are no other movement marks I can make out ,but there are other lever cutouts filed in. And this watch didnt need any . Maybe a swap out done at a COA by the jeweler . Mike

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Mike:

Yes this is an original dial, I have a Canadian Railway Time Service Waltham 1883 Serial No. 10033903 with AC Stannners 1138 Queen St. W. Toronto on the dial posted towards the end of page 4 of this thread, thank you for sharing this with us. I have seen other examples of his watches.

Larry

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
In the 1901 Canada Census of Toronto there was a Alx Stanner listed as a watchmaker, he was born Dec 2, 1861 in Scotland.

In the 1891 census he is listed as Alexander C.

In 1880 he was listed as a jeweler in Marinette Wisconsin

On July 19, 1885 he married Sarah Jane Thornton in Ontario

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Thank you Tom for the additional information. Here is an advertisement from a Brotherhood convention souvenir booklet for a Waltham Vanguard wind indicator, he is a CPR Watch Inspector located at 1200 Queen St. W. & 1791 Dundas Street Toronto

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Larry!

Tom

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is another AC Stanners private label dial Roman Numeral 24 hour dial.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Dial close-up