Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

CANADIAN Private-Label Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Nice watches as always Larry, everyone of yours I see I wish was mine.

I think I found Mr. Simpson but I haven't located Mr. Cranna yet.

I found a WWI Canadian Draft for a James Simpson of Merritt BC &he listed his trade as watchmaker. He was born Feb. 9, 1890 in Strichen, Aberdeen Scotland

WWI

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Thanks to Greg Campbell an Illinois A. Lincoln with a nice Montgomery 24-hour dial

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
A. Lincoln movement of Riddell & Venet Point St. Charles private-label

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
This is the dial on my 1911 Elgin 17 jewel,from my old friend Joe Schmid's store,very similar to yours David but private label. Many years ago I bought most of the contents of the watchmakers part of the shop,all but the jewellers regulator which I got outbid on.
I have somewhere a regulator clock advertising dial of E.J.Schmid Rodney Ontario etc.,gold painted on black ,quite lovely really,especially with the Schmid name on it. I also have the original large sun blind from the front window decorated with the name etc in gold. .

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Nice Elgin private label Tom

I read that the community of Rodney was originally named Stewart's Mills after the owner of the first sawmill in the community. From 1842 1865, it was called Centreville, and in 1865 community was renamed Rodney after British naval officer George Brydges Rodney. The center of the village was relocated 2 miles south when the Canadian Southern Railway was built through the area in 1872, originally founded in 1868 as the Erie and Niagara Extension Railway. In 1904 the Canadian Southern was leased to the Michigan Central Railroad, and in 1929 was subleased to the New York Central Railroad and its successor's Penn Central and Conrail. In 1985 the Canadian National Railways and Canadian Pacific Railway jointly purchased the former Canadian Southern Railway from Conrail in order to acquire the Michigan Central Railroad Tunnel and the Suspension Bridge at Niagara Falls.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Rockford 18 size, 17 jewel, private label 24 hour dial marked J. Fleischmann Vancouver BC

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Rockford 18 size, 17 jewel, Grade 938, Serial No. 532825 manufactured 1899, waterfall damaskeened tu-tone movement marked J. Fleischmann Vancouver BC

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Hi Larry; Yes,very interesting information about Rodney Ontario! E.J.Schmid was an official timekeeper for the watches of the Canada Southern Railway , and I believe I remember it said that in the gold leaf on the door glass of his jewelers regulator, as my Seth Thomas #17 Regulator is gold leafed "Grand Trunk Railway System"

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Tom:

Was his jeweler's regulator a Seth Thomas #17 like yours? And what station did your Seth Thomas come from. I have one from the CPR station in Fort William, Ontario. I would like to see a picture of yours.

Larry

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Larry

Back on page 12 you posted a Longines private label for a D.A. Reesor. Today while researching for watch inspectors I found that he was listed as a railroad watch inspector for both the CPR & CNR. The listing was in a 1907 The Railroad trainman, Volume 24 by BofRT

Doing some more searching I found he was born Darious Anson Reesor 14 June 1860 in Ontario & died 27 Sep 1940 in Brandon.

Also;
Reesor, D.A. Native of Co. of York, Ont. Educ. pub sch, supplemented by high schools at Whitby & Oshawa, Ont. Came 1892 Brandon. Establ. jewelry bus. Councillor of Brandon, Mason, Brandon Hospital Board. Owned more property on Rosser Ave. than any other man in the city at that time. Lib. Meth. (taken from History of Manitoba by Geo. Bryce, 1906)

Found they are still in business today;
http://www.reesors.com/reesors/about_us.html

Just in case you are interested.

Tom

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Tom:

Thank you for the information on D.A. Reesor, here is a photo of a watch card cardholder that I took at the Rockford Timekeeping Seminar back in the 1990s. Too bad about the reflection.

Larry

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Your welcome Larry & thanks for all your posts. Because of them I purchased a watch (still waiting for it to arrive) similar to yours, it is a Longines 19j with the double hour hands D.A. Reesor.

Here is a photo of his store I found on line, no date for the photo that I could find.

store

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Tom:

I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your Longines D.A. Reesor private-label pocket watch. Great photo of the jewelry store, I would date it post-1947 from the Dodge automobile parked on the right side of the picture, it is a 1947 Deluxe sedan a car that I grew up with. My father bought a used one in 1949 when I was born, and it was my first car when I turned 16. Many fond memories of it, here is a photo of one showing a rear end view.

Larry

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Sure looks like the same car!

I am hoping the watch comes today, when it does I will post some photos.

Tom

Added this ad for DA Ressor 01/29/2011, put it here just to try to keep in order. This is from the Winnipeg Free Press October 25, 1902

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Larry

Here are some photos of the watch.

The watch seems to be in a great shape other than you will notice at some point in it's life it took a blow near the 50 min mark. This caused a slight dent & a light hairline to the dial just under the dent.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Other than the faint hairline, which might clean up, I couldn't see anything else wrong with teh dial.

just realized I didn't move the hands out of the way of D.A. Ressor.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The case back is not initialed in the shield.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The case is a gold filled hinged Fortune case.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The movement is marked "D.A. Ressor Brandon Man. Longines Express Leader Adjusted in 5 Positions Safety Pinion 19 jewels 2964116. I guess it would date to 1912-1913

It still has a complete & functioning stop works on the barrel.

It is a 16s lever set.

Tom

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
very nice movement Tom!!!

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Tom

Yes, after you sent it to me the 1st time I sent you what I found which wasn't much. When I got your 2nd email I meant to write you & ask you if you got my reply.

I will try to find what I had & try you again.

Tom

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Tom ::::: I just checked my back emails no message from you with information on the movement so it must have gotten lost in cyber-space LOL,so here is the link to the listing,and thank you for any assistance that you can render, regards Tom

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...287852#ht_4314wt_941[/QUOTE]