Tools
Reply to Post

CANADIAN Private-Label Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Rockford Von Guten Bros. Chatham, Ont., double sunk 12 hour Arabic dial.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Rockford 18 size, 17 jewel, Grade 938, Tu-Tone waterfall damaskeened private-label movement, Marked "Von Guten Bros. Railroad Keystone"

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Locomotive engraved on back of Fayhs Montauk case back.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hamilton 16 size private label double sunk 24-hour dial "B.C. Creighton Moose Jaw, Sask."

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hamilton 992 movement

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
From our "LaBelle" province, a Longines 18 size, private label pocket watch with a 12 hour Arabic dial marked "J.A. Bernier, Lake Magantic, P.Q." (Province Québec). Lake Magantic is a town in southeastern Québec, it was founded in 1884 after the Canadian Pacific Railway began construction of the final segment in its transcontinental railway linking Montréal, Québec with the Atlantic Ocean at the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick. Lake Magantic was also situated on the line of the Québec Central Railway, making the town and important junction.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Inscription on Dial;

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Longines 18 size, 21 jewel, Express Monarch, Serial No. 1611619, Adjusted in 5 Positions, Safety Pinion, movement marked "J.A. Bernier Lake Magantic, Official Agent"

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Elgin Private label R. Robertson, Hagersville, Ontario, dial.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Elgin 18 size, 17 jewel movement. The Elgin website says that Serial No. 12102415 is a Grade 336, Model 5, from a run of 2000 watches manufactured in 1905. The arrival of the Canada Southern Railroad in 1870, and the Hamilton and Lake Erie Railway, three years later, made Hagersville a prosperous village.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
South Bend 18 size, 17 jewel, Model 1, Serial No. 489279 movement.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
This South Bend comes equipped with a double sunk, Arabic private label dial marked; G. W. McFarlane, Saskatoon, Sask. Saskatoon is one of Saskatchewan's largest cities, and is serviced by both the Canadian Pacific Railway, and the Canadian National Railways.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Larry

I always enjoy seeing your watches, just want to let you know I don't ignore looking up for more info on yours, I just don't have access to Canadian records. I do look but can not find anything for what I can access.

I did find this image of a parade that is described as being in front of the G. W. McFarlane jewelery store, Saskatoon. It is date July 1, 1906

Tom

parade

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is another that you can see the store front better, it is dated the same.

Also found Henderson's City of Saskatoon Alphabetical Directory for 1910 he is listed as George W. McFarlane and an Optician

Tom

photo

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Thank you Tom for the information, and interesting pictures of George W. McFarlane's store in 1906 during the Canada Day parade. This would be the year after Saskatchewan became a province of Canada. Looking at the muddy streets it has the look of a frontier town. It has come a long way in just over 100 years, and now holds the status of being Saskatchewan's largest city with a population of over 220,000.

Regards,

Larry

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Your welcome Larry.

I did perhaps find more on him. I found in the 1901 Census for The Territories, Assinibois, Moosomin (I have no idea what that means?)

1. Daniel McFarlane Head of household born 2 Sep 1857 in Ontario, Scotoch, Presbyterian, occupation Sabgroph Raper

2. Henrietta wife, 26 Dec 1863 Ontario

3. George 3 Oct 1886 born in Northwest Territory occupation Watch Maker

4. Eddie 14 July 1889 NWT

5. Etta 24 June 1896 NWT

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I think that must be him because I also found the 1906 census for town of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan & it still shows George living with his parents Daniel & Etta. This census was not as detailed & doesn't list occupations.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Found his WWI records, they show he was George Whitlock McFarlane, he was living in Saskatoon at the time, his wife was Lillian May, he was born October 3, 1886, his trade was Jeweler. It shows he served two years in the 105th Dusk Dusiliers (Sp). This form was signed Sept 1, 1914

Tom

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Tom:

In regards to your interesting 1901 census information and your question about; "Assinbois" and "Moosomin"

Here is a map of the North-Western Territory from 1900 it shows " Assinboia" where Saskatoon is located it is on the middle of the northern border of Assinboia. In 1896 parts of the NWT were divided into the following districts, Alberta (Southern Alberta); Assiniboia (Southern Saskatchewan); and Athabasca (Northern Alberta and Saskatchewan) Moosomin is a community in Assiniboia close to the border of Manitoba.

Larry

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thank you for the geography lesson, I have always had trouble with the US but now with Canada & all the others members countries thrown in I am learning new locations everyday.

Tom

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Waltham 18 size, 17 jewel, Grade 1892, Canadian Pacific Railway with a busy double sunk, bold Arabic, 24-hour, Montgomery, private label dial marked; "A.C. Skinner, Sherbrooke, Qué"

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Movement No. 18064145 manufactured circa 1912.