Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12

Closed Topic Closed
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
In Search Of Seth Thomas "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
The movement is an interesting variant of the 17-jewel lever-set Grade 182: a gold-flashed pattern over a matte nickel finish.

posted
Wow, so very cool.

jg

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
That is quite a collection of Seth's thanks for sharing them. You should have that one I have up for sale to add to your collection Big Grin

posted
I just nabbed one off the bay. Always wanted a model 5 and liked this private label one since a jeweler from my hometown had lincoln bucks specials. i doubt i'll ever know if this is one of his too, but its a fitting watch to go witht he rest.

Its an incredible collection you have ammassed here. keep the great pictures coming.

Jared

posted
Nice example, Jared. Double-signed private-label Model 5s are rare indeed, especially two-toned watches.

Thanks Rob, but I've already got one. Smile

The watch in question is a two-toned 21-jewel Model 5, and I'm assuming it's a variant of the Grade 248, even though it's unmarked. All the Seth research I've done only admits to three grades of 21-jewel movements: the 248, the 260, and the Maiden Lane. One catalog I found claimed the 248 came in two-tone, but the 248 is supposed to be Adjusted to 3 Positions, and this variant, along with Rob's and all the others like it, are not marked as such.

Below is a grade chart put together from all the sources I could find so far. Every grade number printed in a catalog or advertisement is listed here.

posted
Based on the chart on the previous page and the lack of company records, I can't assign a grade stamp to this watch, but it seems to be the only 21-jewel two-tone Model 5 that Seth Thomas made.

The brightwork on this piece is exceptional, and I believe the watch to be all original. There are two variants of it that I know of - one has a rosette around the barrel arbor, and the other style does not:

posted
It's fronted by the extremely rare 24-hour Montgomery Arabic dial with matching spade-and-poker hands:

posted
All wrapped up in a nice Philadelphia 20-year case:

posted
With all the nice model 5 Seth Thomas's Eric has been showing, so I had to get my own! I got my "Lincoln Special" in yesterday and got it cleaned up today. The dial does have a couple hairlines, otherwise very clean.

posted
Here is the 2-tone movement, very beautiful as always with these.

posted
The plain back Fahy's Montauk case is in very nice shape too to boot. No extra case screw marks either.

posted
One of Seth's highest-end marked grades was the 260. This example sports a scarce light Arabic dial with traintracks at the outer edge.

posted
21 jewels and adjusted to six positions, it was Seth Thomas's workhorse Rail Road watch. Like it's little brother, the 248, it had two known patterns, a straightline pinstripe and this fancier circles-and-rosettes one:

posted
Ensconced in an unusual 20th Century watch case:

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Eric,

With your camera work you could make a dollar watch look very, very nice. All very nice looking ST movements guys.

Steve

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I love this! I guess I will have to post some of the serial numbers and pictures I have collected on Seths too. Most of mine are from over a year ago and from ebay, but lots of photos and serial numbers!! Let me know if you would like a copy of the numbers or photos. Some are not that good, but most are ok for identification.

I have a pretty nice Seth, but not at all like your gorgeous photos here. Never did figure out how many jewels it has.

Private label Maiden Lane Sn 208810 really nice movement and private label dial, and will post it when my camera charges up.

Great photos and wonderful information too!

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sheila is being too polite. She has a very nice 260 she "saved" when she picked it up from eBay in 2008, and it took awhile but we got it back in order . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
While it may not be as fancy as the others here, it IS a 260, and Sheila rescued it from a sad end. The whole story is at;
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...=230101001#230101001

posted
Yes, post them, I love to see photos of IHC member's watches.

jg

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Eric, and/or Dave, the Fat Book states "A Double Roller grade is identified by a recessed area under the balance wheel", the caption is referring to a Maiden Lane. Sheila's watch appears to have that recessed area, would this indicate a double roller on the 260 as well? Assuming your answer will be yes is a single roller 260 less collectable/valuable?

posted
Lorne, my only sightings of a double roller (with a recessed well under the balance) showed up on Model 5s marked above 350,000 - extremely late in the total run. It's been noted before that no Model 5 with a serial number higher than 352,00 has been seen. As to collectibility, that's in the eye of the beholder. Smile

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Thanks Eric, the recessed area and damaskeening within certainly does add another visual dimension.