• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New Hamilton 992 B "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Attached are pictures of a reciently acquired 992 B. The watch seems original, complete and is very clean except for a deep gouge in the inside of the case back and light scratches on the out side of the case back and one spot on the winding wheel. The serial number is C1006 dating it I think to the end of 1940 or beginning of 1941. I have requested a serial number look up. I think it has a gold center wheel and gold jewel settings. I would appreciate comments on the dial hands etc. Bob Rork

Rancher

Posts: 28 | Location: San Antonio, Texas USA | Registered: December 13, 2005
posted
Dial details

Rancher

Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Welcome to Chapter 185 Robert! Nice early 992B, everything about it looks right as rain IMHO. Being from very early production it has what we call a Signature Type 1 movement.

I got the production date from our on-site 992B Research Forum, which has serial number tables that show your watch to be early 1940 production:

Click here to view IHC 992B serial number table

I think you will find our 992B S/N table to be as authoritative as anything you can find.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Thanks I hope the micro film will show that as well. I am posting three better pictures I am still trying to consistently produce good pictures. Bob

Rancher

posted
back of watch

Rancher

posted
movement

Rancher

posted
oops 4 pictures movement detail

Rancher

posted
detail of case sig

Rancher

posted
BOB,

A VERY FINE 992B EXAMPLE. AN EARLY 4 DIGIT SERIAL NUMBER IS A GREAT WATCH TO HAVE IN YOUR COLLECTION.

NOT MUCH TO COMMENT ON ABOUT THE DIAL AND HANDS OTHER THAN TO SAY THEY ARE CORRECT AND IN FINE CONDITION.

TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR PICTURES READ SOME OF THE POST IN THIS SECTION.
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/7356029761

THE EASIEST AND CHEAPEST WAY TO IMPROVE YOUR IMAGES WOULD BE TO BUILD A LIGHT BOX. THIS WILL BRING OUT THE DETAIL. THE LIGHT IS SO BRIGHT IN YOUR PHOTOS THAT IT DOESN'T SHOW THE FINE DETAIL THAT YOU WOULD SEE IF THE LIGHT WAS FILTERED. YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO SEE THE GOLD CENTER WHEEL IN MUCH CLEARER DETAIL IF THE LIGHT WAS FILTERED DOWN.

SEND ME AN EMAIL OR CALL ME AND I CAN HELP YOU WITH IT.

NICE WATCH!

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I notice that this watch does not appear to have the period-correct beveled ratchet wheel screw. My guess is that a previous screw, perhaps an incorrect one, was what caused the gouge in the back cover. Someone probably replaced it with a later flat-profile screw so that it would not bind with the back. If you try to find a correct replacement be careful that it does not jam the back again.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Jerry thanks there are actually two marks on the back. One light mark near where the case back turns up to form the thread and the other just below the the serial number. Some sort of screw problem must be the answer but if you examin the deep gouge it looks like someone left a crown wheel turned on edge and then pressed the back on and tried to turn it. The main damage looks like it was caused by something with teeth like the edge of the crown wheel. There are not service marks on the case back which makes me wonder if it was used for railroad service. Maybe a railroader bought then went off to war? That might explain how a less skilled or careful repair person caused the damage. I will look into the correct screw. Bob

Rancher

posted
Jim I am going to be out of town for a few days but will get back to you about the light box. Thanks Bob

Rancher

posted
I received the serial number search today. 1006 was completed on 10/25/40 and sold on 11/26/40. the ledger is interesting in hjow many watches were completed and sold per day and the almost random order they were finished. I assume they were also working on many other models and grades which would not be reflected on this ledger which only listed 992B's Bob

Rancher

posted
robert,
the ledgers at this time seem to be grade specific... or groups of grades...

but many ledgers at this time are incomplete.. they did not survive...

posted
Bob,
Thanks for sharing the ledger serial number info.

Would you care to post a copy in the 992B forum?

Thanks,
Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
Robert this is the ledger sheet copy as provided by Don. It seems to me to generate some interesting questions. Bob

Rancher

posted
Bob,
Thank you very much. The "Sold to" numbers are unknown at this time.

No records, to my knowledge, have been found that links these numbers to a specific customer.

Your ledger page lists eight 992B "sold" on Nov. 5, 1940.

It appears the eight 992B's sold on 11-5-40 could very well be part of the initial shipment of 940 watches made on November, 5-6-7, 1940, as shown on the "excerpt" below.

(If we can conclude that the watches "sold" on these 3 specific days are indeed part of the 940 shipment, we can then link these serial numbers to the #11 Hamilton case.)

The "excerpt" below is from the Hamilton Watch Movement History.

Robert

Courtesy Don

posted
Robert it is also interesting to note that all but 1 of the "940" (?) shipment went to one customer. Bob

Rancher

posted
Bob,
I assume you are talking about the 8 watches listed on your ledger page and not the entire 940 watch shipment.

I counted 6 watches going to customer 74-68225 and 2 watches going to customer 51-68206.

Below is a link to the topic that includes the "excerpt" shown in my previous post.

The bottom link is 2 ledgers pages of serial numbers C001 to C050. Notice that most of these movements were finished much later than the ones on your list.

Robert

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/254108073/m/6351023821

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/254108073/m/9261072231

posted
Robert it appears the number 4 is marked out so I did not count it as sold. The earlier ledgers (1-50) almost make it impossible to pick a cut off number for 1940 production with out a watch by watch research effort. Bob

Rancher

posted
Bob,
It appears as production on the 992B started up they encountered problems and set aside these watches, rectified the problem and finished the early serial numbers later on.

Several of the first 50 movements weren't completed until 1941.

This was a new model and I suspect it took a while to get production up to speed.

Robert