Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Anyone into the Russian made Molnija's "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Anyone into the Russian made Molnija's

Just wondering as I've got a few and finally found an older 16s with only 15j from 1951. Most are the later 18j 3602 movement and in a hunter type case, whereas this one is open face and made for their home market with CCCP and not Made in USSR which was for export. I end up using these Molnias or Marathon as they were know over here as a daily pocket watch when I'm doing construction since they are cheap to buy and can take a knock or too.
Thx, Roland.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Here's the 15 jewel movement.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Now here's a later 18j from 1968 with a rare regulator as most later versions from the 60's and 70's have a real dinky star type regulator.

R. Glenn

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
1968 movement

R. Glenn

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
And here's a North America version also from 1968 with Marathon on the dial and USSR and not CCCP in those chrome looking semi-hunter cases that we've all seen over the years.

R. Glenn

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Marathon 3602 movement with standard regulator.

R. Glenn

IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Roland
I have a couple of Russian watches to. The first picture show two identical Molnias except for the dial.

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
And here is the case backs of the same.

IHC Life Member
posted
This is another ruski.

IHC Life Member
posted
Close up.

IHC Life Member
posted
And then comes the Ruco.

IHC Life Member
posted
Closer.

IHC Life Member
posted
Same movement in all of them. The Molnija 3602 with 18 jewels. Or SU 3602 as it says on one of them.

IHC Life Member
posted
And again.
Regards Krister

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Great images Krister. The watches with USSR on the dial are the ones for export and your one with CCCP is for their home market. I found an image of a 1940's Rolex Caliber 5513 that Molnija basically copied. That explains why these Russian pocket watches actually keep very good time for a fraction of the price.

Roland.

R. Glenn

posted
Great images Krister!

I've always been quite impressed with the quality of Russian made watches, the movements not only go well and keep good time, but look good too.
Sekonda stuff is very similar too, although I've only messed around with their wristwatches.

A friend told me a while back that Russian watch manufacturers bought the old machinery from Swiss makers when all their stuff was updated.
No idea if there's any truth in it, but considering the closeness of appearance to Swiss calibres, it has some credence.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
quote:
Rolex Caliber 5513 that Molnija basically copied

Roland, you are sure it´s not the other way round? Wink
Anyway,they are very sturdy and reliable watches and I´ve used them as my day-to-day carry on and off.
BTW thank you and John for the kind words.
Regards Krister

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hard to say Krister. The Molnija factory #2 didn't start up until 1947 and that was the sole factory for just these movements. And this Rolex is older, so again like John mentioned they may have bought the old tooling, much like what became of Hampden. Factory #2 is actually stamped on the earlier Molnija movements. Its part of a stamp that looks like a half gear with a small 3 and large 2 and then small 4. If the movement came from say factory 3 it would be the larger on the stamping.
I almost bought a 1948 15j molnija last week but fell at sleep on the bid button and it went for 25 bucks and was near mint.

Such is life.

Roland.

R. Glenn

IHC Life Member
posted
Roland
Thank you for the additional information on Molnijas. Of course Rolex is the original in this case. I was just kidding, hence the smiley. John is most likely right about the Russians buying tools and machinery. They have done that on other occasions such as the FIAT plant they set up in Togliattigrad.
Regards Krister

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
True enough, who can forget the Lada? I can Wink

R. Glenn

IHC Life Member
Sergeant at Arms
Picture of Scott A. Whittey
posted
I will have to add that these watches are pretty much bullet proof I know of one that was picked up in Turkey about 1991 and has survived numerous excursions through several different washing machines .Each time the water would be drained the movement dried. Neal will just wind her up and she takes off running, still keeping time to Railroad standards.

Posts: 293 | Location: California City, California USA | Registered: May 05, 2005
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hi Scott, they are pretty robust I admit and keep very good time. I use mine as daily drivers on the construction site as they do get knocked around yet keep on running. I have one that the dial is totally worn off as the numbers are just screened on and any form of cleaning will take them right off, so I had to paint markers on it. Not pretty, but till I come across a spare old 1950's dial it'll do and my some carries it. I know that Molnija markets these pocket watches like crazy and for all types of past events. Kind of like what Westclox and Ingersoll did back in their days. I some ways these Russian pocket watches are like a high grade dollar watches of the past 50 years. Their newest types from the 1980's had a low cost brass movement, and then went to quartz with date. Still very similar to the popular 3602 movement, just now with a battery.

Roland

R. Glenn