Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Who carrys what watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a few personalized watches with the jeweler's names from cities near to my home town. If and when I go through these places I like to take the watch that was made for the city jeweler. I like to think that I am walking the same streets where someone purchased the watch a hundred-or-so years ago, the watch keeping time just as well as it did then.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Stephen,
Post pictures or names of your private labels if you could, I collect them as well and try to add them to the various databases being kept. Since you live in Illinois, and Illinois watch company was probably one of the premier "Private Label" producers I'm sure you have no shortage of possibilities.. Smile

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
i love to carry a pocket watch daily. my favorite right now is an 18s waltham with a 4 oz coin silver hunter case. it is really heavy weighing in at 6.41 oz

Posts: 5 | Location: Santa Cruz, California in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2008
posted
This is what I am wearing now. An E. Howard, "Keystone".

IHC Member 1193

Posts: 216 | Location: Key Biscayne, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008
posted

This is what I use when I carry a pocket watch a 992B in a stainless steel case it's one of Hamilton's newer one's made in the 1950's you can see they were trying to save a buck no gold center wheel and I did not pay a lot for it. With this case you are not afraid to carry it and I timed it for a week once and it keeped great time and I just got this new carrying case to put on my belt so I should not drop it I did that once so now I don't use my good pocket watches to use daily this ones my daily beater.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
My current carry on:
Private label Hyman Berg and Co. Chicago
With an Omega 19 movement. 10 Size.
Thanks Guys for helping me identify this baby yesterday.

[IMG]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/Caliper1681/Haymen%20Berg/32d5_12.jpg[/IMG

IHC Member 1193

Posts: 216 | Location: Key Biscayne, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008
posted
I bought this one on eBay not long ago. The case was worn and not original. I recased it in a Fahy's Montauk 20 yr. case that resembled the original "pyramid" cases that were used for the Sangamo Specials.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
I don't guess the dial was the original, but I'm perfectly happy with it. I am convinced that this is one of the finest watches made in America. I'm very attached to it.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hey Mike,
Here is a 10s Elgin circa 1950 that I wear on Sundays only.
It is a 21j Lord Elgin and I think it is really classy.
It generally stays in it's home the display box that it came in when I'm not wearing it.

Regards,
Jerry

These Lord Elgin #543 PW's are 10s with 14s dials....

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Rear Cover....

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Movement:

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Inside Rear Cover:

posted
I carry my Bunn Special (My first pocket watch) on a daily basis since it has a peronell meaning and is my only pocket watch at this moment.

Posts: 12 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: January 19, 2009
posted
Right now I am carrying a Hamilton 992B in a 10K gold-filled case. Whenver I get a new watch I carry it for a few weeks just to see how well it works. I like the feel of any post WW I railroad watch.

Posts: 148 | Location: Seattle, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Its a great looking watch Jerry, I'd like to have one like it. It has a nice case to go with it too.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Jerry,

Any case that fits 10s is a rare item to begin with.!!!! Eek Big Grin

I have a lot of 10s that are only movements, and it is impossible to find a size 10s case.

I also think that the adjustments to different positions is an unusual part of that particular watch too.

Besides, there's nothing like an ELGIN huh? Big Grin

OH! and by the way, I used to actually wear a Lord Elgin!

My 30J Solid Gold Dial in a Solid Gold Case.

The picture is terrible, but I thought I would share it anyway. I don't wear it now, the pendant came out, and it's time to get it repaired as well as cleaned and looked after.

Sheila

30js

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
That is a nice watch Sheila, is it an Automatic...? I can't quite make out the info on the lower portion of the watch....

Well, on a 543, the movement is 10s however it is married to a 14s dial, so the cases are size 14 and I don't think will fit any other watch.

Yes, I agree that the Elgin story is unique in it's own way as there are others that have unique beginnings and endings and some very nice watches that tell that story. I just think Elgin does not get the proper respect it deserves....I am sure that there are others that feel the same way about other manufacturer's as well

Regards,
Jerry

Picture of Michael Valek
posted
Today it happens to be a 21j Sangamo Hunter, 14K solid gold. I found this in rual Arizona a few weeks ago.

21j Sangamo Hunter

Posts: 243 | Location: South Central Arizona in the USA | Registered: October 07, 2006
Picture of Michael Valek
posted
outer cover....I think Leon Harris may get the case for some TLC.

Posts: 243 | Location: South Central Arizona in the USA | Registered: October 07, 2006
Picture of Michael Valek
posted
Da werks!

posted
I am really impressed! Beautiful watch!

posted
Jerry,
OOps yep, I did forget to mention about the case had to be at least a 14s with that dial, but at least you have something to put a 10s in, and I have been hard pressed to find even a 12s with the proper parts to downsize it for a 10s movement. Those spacers seem to only be available with a full watch. Since I would never part out a watch, that leaves me kinda stuck when it comes to "housing" a 10s movement.

Yes, my Lord Elgin is an Automatic, 760, 30J, Solid Gold watch, and it's actually Gorgeous. The photos are the auction photos, and the ones I tried to take are terrible. I'm working on new ones, but that gold is hard to get right.

I couldn't agree more about the respect needed for Elgins. I have always noticed some indifference to them. At first I thought it was just my preference to them, but it is real. They are a fine watch, and made very well, with gorgeous movements, and fine quality. They will always be my favorite.

Michael,
Gorgeous Watch!

Sheila

Picture of Michael Valek
posted
Thank you Sheila and Steve. I have this habit of seaching out obscure areas in hopes of finding that one special item. This last trip paid off! Its the thrill of the hunt that makes this hobby fun!

posted
Michael,
Well, your Sanghmo is sure "that one special item"!!!

Mr George Kapp was indeed a Jeweler in Toledo, Ohio. His son George Kapp Jr. was one too!

Beautiful Watch!

Sheila

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Mike,

Nice one you obtained there!

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5206 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Michael Valek
posted
Thanks Doc! Hi Lin!

Sheila,
Thank you for finding that information for me. I havent had the time to even think of researching that.Where and how did you find him?

IHC Member 665
posted
As I enjoy this thread and as Dr Debbie said she was looking forward to some more Ball Watch comment I thought I should try.

Right now I have in my pocket, in every day use, the 16s Ball-Waltham Official RR Standard time-keeper illustrated in the accompanying images.

The movement number is B0560644 (i.e. Waltham 10560644 dated 1901), it has 19J and it is marked Adjusted. The time-keeping accuracy of the watch in regular use is within about 1 second per week.

The porcelain dial is an example of the Roman 24h ORRS variety in original condition. I am aware of two mentions of this variety of dial in the Bulletins numbered 252 (P.67-8) and 321 (P.493).

The matching Ball style double swell purple hour and minute hands are, I believe correct, and I was fortunate to find a matching and correct purple short tadpole-ended (my appellation) second hand (no modification needed) to suit the smaller than normal seconds bit of the dial.

The hinged Keystone case shows wear commensurate with its age but it is in perfect working order to protect the movement. The outer back of the case inside has the Ball Model marking below the Keystone marking as it should for the period. The outer case back is plain outside but the case center has the Vermicilli pattern of decoration. This arrangement is identified as Design No.20 in the 1902 Ball catalog. The original Ball pattern antique bow is correct for the period as is the hinged construction of the case.

Few watches of this type and age are found complete and original so it is important to study every available clue as to what was original in order to bring about authentic restorations. There was a rapid evolution of the 16s Ball (Waltham) watch arrangements from their introduction very early in the 20th Century until about the end of the first decade. Many options that can be defended as correct are available to restorers but many more that are demonstrably incorrect can be observed in circulation, today.

Posts: 209 | Location: East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: December 31, 2005
IHC Member 665
posted
Movement

Posts: 209 | Location: East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: December 31, 2005
IHC Member 665
posted
Dial

IHC Member 665
posted
Case 1

IHC Member 665
posted
Case 2

posted
My old everyday watch is kinda humbled by the company it keeps in this thread,but I'm a simple person and I carry a simple watch. American Watch Co.(Waltham)18 size PS Bartlett 15 jewel Keywind. I bought it for $35 in very neglected condition. I restored it,myself to it's present condition,and have taken great pains to get it adjusted to the point where it keeps time to within 1 minute a month. I have many nicer watches,but this one just seems to suit me.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
I guess I should have mentioned,it is a model 1857 made in 1873. Here is the key that I use to wind it.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009