Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Who carrys what watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Heres the movement of the 3602

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
This Ball/Hamilton 999 has been keeping warm in my pocket the last couple of weeks.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Good evening folks!

I picked up this beauty recently at a fair price. Swiss made with 17 jewels. It´s been my every day carry for a while now. I know, I know, it´s not gold, it´s not old, it´s not even expensive but I just love this Montgomery wannabe dial.

Regards Krister

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Screw on bezel and back.

IHC Life Member
posted
After some minute adjustments it´s now down to about a minute/week deviation.
Regards Krister

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
It looks like a Unitas movement. Tougher than a pine knot, and the world is awash in spare parts. They sold those in the U. S. during the 70's under the Waltham and Elgin name. I have a 17j Elgin version my wife gave me on our first Christmas in 1976, and it's one of my proudest possessions. Keeps excellent time. As much as I love my watches, if I had to pare down to only one pocket watch, it would be that one. A great many personal memories attached. Anyway, a VERY nice acquisition! Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Mark.
Thank you for the additional information on the watch. You are right about it being a Unitas movement. 6497 to be exact. There are a few more numbers stamped in as well. U6 and then just underneath 3.78. I interpreted that to be a manufacturing date, march 1978. But I could be wrong about that.
Regards
Krister

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Sounds about right. I believe mine is a 17j model 6431, and a few years older than yours, if your 1978 date is correct.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Mark and Krister,
Is this the same type of watch you guys are discussing. I have always wondered about it origin.

Bill Carlson

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
The insides of this "Elgin"...

Bill Carlson

IHC Life Member
posted
Bill
Indeed it is. From the numbers visible under the hairspring I´m quite sure it is a Unitas movement. Furthermore it is Swiss made.
Regards Krister

posted
Hi to-day i am wearing my 1950 Omega Bumper 17 Jewel 342 movement i wear it daily i am new to this site and Love it

Posts: 17 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Welcome Lloyd to our part of the web!
Krister, that date code of 3/78 is more likely 3 quarter of 1978. It seems that the Europeans were happy with marking just the season of the year. What do you think?

Roland.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Roland
I don´t know for sure. It was only an educated (I hope) guess on my part. You could very well be right considering how watches are made. I´ve seen similar markings on Russian movements to. Some people say they are dates of manufacturing but not exactly how.
Thank you for the info.
Regards Krister

posted
Bill, I have one like yours (without the Monty Dial)that was sold by Weiss Jewelers in Warren Arkansas 12/22/72. $69.95 Same movement except it is marked "Elgin 976"
The Elgin site says 976 was the last size 16 marketed by Elgin.
I,ve carried mine ,daily, for years and it is wonderfully consistant. Mike

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi all!
Do you remember my Facit upstairs? While I was going through some old posts I stumbled across this very interesting post.
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...1010082/m/1321074802
Regards Krister

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Interesting stuff about the Elgin and whatever else it maybe named. For a cheap watch they run real well. A bargain for $70.00.
That was an interesting link Krister. Thanks .

Bill Carlson

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
This 992B has accuracy like a quartz watch. It might gain a few seconds in 4 weeks. Its hard to beat it. Its a 1941 Model.

Bill Carlson

IHC Member 1411
posted
I am new to the IHC 185 I carry an Elgin 15 jewel BW Raymond SN 70784. It has a Pennsylvania Railroad Dial and is in a Coin Silver Keystone Hunter Case

Posts: 232 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 26, 2010
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Hi and Welcome Michael,
How about posting a picture of your Elgin. I'm sure we would like to see it.

Bill Carlson

IHC Member 1411
posted
Here is my Elgin BW Raymond

Posts: 232 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 26, 2010
IHC Member 1411
posted
Sorry about the file size. I am new at this. My BW Raymond Movement

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
This week I am wearing the latest watch that I have purchased and serviced.
It is a Very nice Waltham 17 Jewel model 1908 grade 640 open face that was produced in 1926 for use on the trolley system in the US.(so I have been told)
It needed a staff and to be cleaned and now it runs beautifully and keeping great time

Posts: 340 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: September 10, 2009
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Here is a picture of the works.
As you may be able to see it is adjusted to 3 positions.
Cheers
Gary

Posts: 340 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: September 10, 2009
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
These pictures were taken prior to me cleaning and replacing the crystal.
Gary

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Hi Gary,
I'll bet that watch cleaned up nice and it running well. How about a photo or two?

I have been using this Waltham, Mod. 1908, Grade 625, that was made around 1908. It has been running very accurately for 3 days. I was surprised by its accuracy.

Bill Carlson

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Here is a shot of the insides..

Bill Carlson

posted
My watch of the month has been this Appleton Tracy Mdl 92, 17j adj. I have always liked the 18s watches and I think the movements are spectacular, and it almost keeps RR time, being about 1 min a week on my person.

Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
mvmt

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
An up to date photo of the 992B, # C128504. Smile
One of my favorite watches.

Bill Carlson

IHC Life Member
posted
This week it is my newest find.
Elgin model 7 two tone, serial # 19194992.

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
And the face.

Happy July 4 everyone
Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Your watch has a real nice dameskeeping. I don't think I have ever seen this pattern. Is it gold tone as in the photo?

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010