Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Information about my watch is appreciated "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi folks,

a few days ago my father gave me the pocket watch that is passed from father to oldest son in our family.

i would be glad if you could give me some information about this watch since I haven't seen anything similair on the net.

The # in the watch says 3565205 and in the inner part of the back it says 10k Goldfilled and 9770722.

TIA
Kelsey

Front with glass taken off

Posts: 12 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: January 19, 2009
posted
Another image

Complete movement

posted
Another image (2nd)

1st zoom of movement

posted
Another image (3rd)

2nd zoom of movement

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
That is an Illinois 23 jewel Bunn Special made in 1919 and is considered one of the highest performing watches of it's time. It remains one of the most valuable production watches manufactured by Illinois WatchCo.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
That's nice to hear!

I espacially wondered about the missing "163" or similar next to the "Motor Barrel 23 Jewels" since all pictures I saw until now carried something like this.

Could you tell me how many units of this watch went into the market?

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Welcome to the club Kelsey!

The models stamped with 163 did not start being made until about 1930.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Kelsey, Your watch was to Illinois Watch co, what the 163 series was to Illinois-Hamilton Watch Co. To an Illinois Collector, yours has great value because it is 100% Illinois Watch Co.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Are information about manufacturing times and amounts in the watch guide that I'll probably receive in a week or two?

P.S.: It's nice to hear the ticking of a pocket wath laying next to you on your desk ;-)

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Welcome to IHC185, Kelsey! You will find a wealth of information here about anything horological and some very special people with amazing knowledge who freely share their wisdom and experience. It's the absolute best place on the web for learning and sharing about watches and clocks. While RR watches are not my area, I can tell you have an outstanding watch that is highly prized among collectors. We are glad that you joined the club!

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Here are the specifics of your watch; The US$ value is iut of date about 20 years. Total production was 11,470 watches of this type.

posted
Thanks a lot for the information.

Seems as if I just got a new addiction (pocket watches)!

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Kelsey,

Welcome aboard, glad to have you with us. The guide will give you little information on production runs...it is meant to be a price guide mainly but there is a lot of information in there. It covers so many different brands it is hard to get to specific on any one brand.

I can tell you your watch was in a run of 500 produced in 1919 and there were a total of about 13,000 of them produced. Not a high number by any means but considerably less than the 150,000 produced in the 21 jewel variety.

It also looks like your watch is quite original as far as the dial and hands are concerned. It also looks like a very period correct Keystone case and if it is it may have had the bow replaced at some point in time. I may be wrong on that and it may not even be a Keystone case. Still a very nice and highly collectable watch.

Are you a serviceman stationed over there or just live there?

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here is one of my Keystone cases....

posted
I'll try to post some pictures in higher quality tomorrow so you can help me a little bit more.

On the other hand I think that this watch is probably in quite original shape since ist was a piece of familily tradition.

Maybe I have more information about this watch in our family tradition tomorrow!

posted
When did the manufacturer turn from inside pointing triangles to those poining outwards?

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Kelsey,

I wouldn't change a thing on your watch. It is a very nice piece of family history. It is one heirloom that should, and I'm sure will, stay in your family.

Steve

posted
I just live here in Germany as a son of a former serviceman.

My father ended his service several years ago (I think probably in 1970).

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Kelsey the arrows in started phasing out around the middle of the 1920's and was replaced with the arrows out as they were referred to. There were also earliar dials that had the straight line Illinois as opposed to the arched hallmark as yours has. These were discontinued around 1915.

Steve

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
I was stationed just outside of Nurenburg in a town called Furth back in the early to mid 70's.

Steve

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello Kelsey and let me extend my congratulations to you also on your choice to join us here at IHC185. As you have already found out we are a very friendly group and there are many 'experts' that will share their knowledge and expertise with you. All one needs do is ask....

Your watch is very collectible and desireable, thank you for sharing it with us.... and if you will watch for our 'Members only Auctions' we have some really neat things that our members sell from time to time....

Again, WELCOME TO THE 185 EXPRESS....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008