WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Anyone Hear of "Le Jour Time Co." and Railroad Pocketwatch? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
I bought this Railraod Pocket Watch and it says Le Jour Time Co. 17 Jewels. There are two numbers behind the balance wheel. They are 6431 & 6445. I never heard of this Company. Attaching pictures. Can someone identify the watch now? Info/History/Value? Appreciated, thanks

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
The Unitas 6431, 18.5 ligne, built like a tank. This movement and the 6497/8 were the last two iterations of the Swiss movements that replaced the pocket watch built in America. The simplest mechanical handwind that is mass produced. Worth about $20 - $50 on Ebay depending on which way the wind is blowing and whether the watch works.

Oh yes, the question about the DELAWARE Watch Co. It all starts with the Pingouin Co. in NYC back in the 50's. They started their main subsidiary, or, American branch (they were frenchies, shhh) as "Arnex Watch Co." and over time invented other names like "Delaware", "Le Jour", "Paul Picot", etc. Arnex would and did runs of 100 or more of a watch with whatever name you wanted on the dial. Never saw them change the name on the plate for the private runs. American companies Waltham, Hamilton and Elgin all bought these movements and put their own names on them, as did Bulova/Caravelle, and then all gave the 6497/8 their own "grade" number. Some companies went as far as milling out the Unitas stamping from the mainplate. There's a lot of different variations of markings because it was used by so many companies or made up companies or "vanity" runs. Hope that helps.

Frank "407"

P.S.- This is what my watch company does with 6497's.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004