Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Which wristwatch did you wear today? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1955
Picture of Michael P. McNamee
posted
Nice to see you back, Stephanie. I’ve enjoyed reading your posts from “back in the day” over the past couple of years that I’ve been on the site. And thanks for starting this post, which may have more responses than any other!

Seeing Buster’s post above on his Seiko RRA, I had to chip in with my 1969 RRA Bulova Accutron 218. This is one of the quartz-precursor “tuning fork” watches and is super accurate for a non-quartz watch. It’s cased in a 10K YGF back and bezel with original 10K YGF bracelet. If you put it up to your ear it sounds like an industrial plant going on inside the case. This is my current go-to daily wear watch.

Posts: 1088 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: October 15, 2013
IHC Member 1955
posted
Also, my wrist watch “rotation” if you want to call it that. From left to right:

1) The 218;

2) A 60s-era Seiko 17j Automatic Calendar “DX” with stainless bezel and bracelet. Don’t think there’s anything particularly special about this one from a collector’s standpoint, but I like it because of the cool beveled crystal and the gold/rust color of the face, which I’ve never seen combined with stainless. I think this color was more commonly used with gold-plated hardware.

3) A 2007-2008 Swiss Hammy 25j Auto Khaki Scuba with skeleton back, stainless bezel and bracelet, and a virtually indestructible sapphire crystal. No kidding, I’ve accidentally bashed it against doors and walls, and there’s not a mark or scratch on it. I bought it NOS a couple of years ago, because I wanted the version that retained the “Swiss Made” nomenclature on the dial. I understand that after about 2008, Swatch removed “Swiss Made” because they wanted to market these Khaki watches as being more in keeping with Hamilton’s American tradition.

The big problem with this watch is that it doesn’t hold its wind as I’d like it to. Anything more than about 10 hours of rest and it needs to be reset. And that’s not a lot of fun given the crown’s screw-down design.

4) A nice quartz Movado. My mom gave me this watch as a law school graduation present in 1997.

Posts: 1088 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: October 15, 2013
IHC Member 1955
posted
I wear one of two wrist watches for formal occasions, depending on attire. First is this 1954 Hamilton “cld” (read: “sealed”) Automatic, pictured with its original 1954 ad from National Geographic. It has a solid 14K back, bezel and strap hardware, along with its original leather band. I do believe this watch to be 100% original, with the possible exception of the crown.

IHC Member 1955
posted
The second formal watch is this ca. 1930 Hamilton Palisade with 14K WGF back and bezel. This is a very small watch that has been very nicely restored with a leather replacement band. It’s pictured with its original 1930 ad.

IHC Member 1955
posted
Here is my collection of Elgin wrist watches with U.S.-made automatic movements, all with replacement leather bands. From left to right is a 30j 760, a 27j 761, and an 18j 618 “bumper”. Now I just need the 607 to complete the set.

IHC Member 1955
posted
Finally, here’s my fishin’ watch. It’s a 90s-era Cassio Sea-Pathfinder (SPF-40), with just about every function under the sun that a fisherman needs, including day, date, time, back light, compass, barometer and moon-phase functions. I think it may shoot mini-bullets too, for use on those hard to manage 50-inch muskies, but I haven’t tried that function yet. This thing is massive, at least for me, with the dial with bezel measuring more than 2 1/4”. But it has a nice, light titanium band which makes it more than manageable.

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Thanks Michael! It's good to know fellow watch members are enjoying past threads that I started way back when. Smile I certainly did enjoy researching and writing posts as well!
I enjoyed seeing your wristwatches too.

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Wearing my latest creation
44 mm case dome glass with eta 6498 movement
I design the dial, minimalist dial as I call it less is more .
dial was made not for this case as you can see some gaps(waiting for correct case)

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Recycled picture, so wrong date - but the watch is the same. A little souvenir from my visit to Weimar.

Kenneth Sloan

Posts: 222 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 01, 2014
posted
nice minimalist,what size is the case?

IHC Life Member
posted
38mm

Kenneth Sloan

IHC Life Member
posted

IHC Life Member
posted
nice cloudy day

Kenneth Sloan

posted
Classic 2 register chronograph very nice.

IHC Member 2030
posted
Mr. Sloan,
junghans bauhuase is the bomb

Today that means it is a wonderful thing.
Thanks for showing that watch

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Life Member
posted
And now, for something completely different:

Kenneth Sloan

posted
Automatic regulator very nice

IHC Life Member
posted
from the huge to the tiny. 1960ish Smith's cal 602.

Kenneth Sloan

posted
I took the chronomat for a spin on Sunday.

posted
@Dave Turner-- I had one like that 80's Armitron. Do you know what the model number is?

Mine had two batteries side by side in it.

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Donald, Here's a picture of the back. I assume the model number is on it here?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Yeah, it's the 40/6175. Thanks. Does it have two batteries though? Or just one?

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012