Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rail Road Watch Time Inspectors "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
While looking for more inspectors I found this interesting article in the "San Francisco Chronicle" dated Sept. 10, 1920. Exactly 90 years ago yesterday.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
1st part of the article. I found the statements about the balance wheel interesting.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Last part

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Reread your Thread more and found you already have this info. I KNOW: I'm miles or railroad tracks behind you guys. Where do you find all this time on your hands. Good Evening Tom I had bought a book about 2 years ago with railroad watch inspectors. They are compiled by State, Town, Last name, First name, Railroad, And year the first advertisement was found. The Last name State etc.... Not saying you don't have some that he does not.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Eugene

I also have Greg's book, we both have some of the same but he has some where around 1500 names in his & I have about the same number in names he doesn't.

My list is only ones I have found & I have saved the documentation to where I found them along with an image of it. I am trying to make my list all based on my research.

My original plan was to make a similar booklet as his but to also include the image from the original publication. Unfortunately I tend to get side tracked into other things or I get tired of working on this, plus every time I think I have found all I am going to find I find more. I probably have about another 200 names to add to this post.

posted
I see this thread is over 2 years old, but it is a good one! Tom, I have another name for you. I think you can get all you need from an ad in the Jewelers Circular which is below.
Mike

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Mike

As a matter of fact I have been working on my list this evening. I need to update the one on here someday, I am up to around 2000 names now.

I will gladly add Mr. Pierik.

Tom

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Tom --

I recently picked up a Hamilton 939 movement and dial, and just matched it up with an old coin silver case. On the movement reads: Made expressly for Paul C. Puls of Eau Claire Wisconsin.
Googling the name, I saw an ad in the Kodak, which may be an old newspaper or journal with the following:
"Who is it that requires the most accurate time?
Why
THE RAILROAD PEOPLE
Of Course.
Where do they go to to get their time pieces
adjusted when there is need of it? Naturally to
PAUL C. PULS,
Opposite the Eau Claire House, who renders them the service of an expert at a most moderate Cost.

kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ken

Thank you for that information.

Sounds like a nice watch with that dial!

Tom

posted
I hope this pick comes through of the Tennessee Central Railway Company Time Table. My next post will show the approved watch inspectors.

Tracy

Tracy
"Love those railroads"

Time Table

Posts: 3 | Location: Pensacola, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2013
posted
Below shows the 5 approved inspectors for the Tennessee Central in 1955. I have my Dad's watch and time card showing that E. Pugh inspected his Hamilton Ball 999B.

Tracy
"Love those railroads"

Watch Inspectors

Posts: 3 | Location: Pensacola, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2013
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
What make and model is your Dad's watch, Tracy? A photo would be nice, too, if you can do it.

kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
posted
KH,

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't have a pic of Dad's Hamilton Ball 999B, but I'm going to work on that. I also need to take pics of my grandfather's Elgin BWR 472. Both are in great shape and work fine.

Tracy
"Love those railroads"

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
WOW! Fantastic job, Tom.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Tom I came across this at the Fleamarket this weekend. I thought you might like it.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Eugene
Thanks for posting, nice looking holder!

Tom

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Tom, I just went over your data base again!
Great job, a never ending job!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008