Internet Horology Club 185
Rail Road Watch Time Inspectors

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7186009181/m/310106501

September 11, 2010, 16:35
Tom Brown
Rail Road Watch Time Inspectors
While looking for more inspectors I found this interesting article in the "San Francisco Chronicle" dated Sept. 10, 1920. Exactly 90 years ago yesterday.

September 11, 2010, 16:36
Tom Brown
1st part of the article. I found the statements about the balance wheel interesting.

September 11, 2010, 16:36
Tom Brown
Last part

September 11, 2010, 22:26
Eugene Buffard
Reread your Thread more and found you already have this info. I KNOW: I'm miles or railroad tracks behind you guys. Where do you find all this time on your hands. Good Evening Tom I had bought a book about 2 years ago with railroad watch inspectors. They are compiled by State, Town, Last name, First name, Railroad, And year the first advertisement was found. The Last name State etc.... Not saying you don't have some that he does not.
September 11, 2010, 23:07
Tom Brown
Hi Eugene

I also have Greg's book, we both have some of the same but he has some where around 1500 names in his & I have about the same number in names he doesn't.

My list is only ones I have found & I have saved the documentation to where I found them along with an image of it. I am trying to make my list all based on my research.

My original plan was to make a similar booklet as his but to also include the image from the original publication. Unfortunately I tend to get side tracked into other things or I get tired of working on this, plus every time I think I have found all I am going to find I find more. I probably have about another 200 names to add to this post.
January 01, 2013, 22:57
Mike LaForest
I see this thread is over 2 years old, but it is a good one! Tom, I have another name for you. I think you can get all you need from an ad in the Jewelers Circular which is below.
Mike

January 02, 2013, 00:39
Tom Brown
Thanks Mike

As a matter of fact I have been working on my list this evening. I need to update the one on here someday, I am up to around 2000 names now.

I will gladly add Mr. Pierik.

Tom
August 20, 2013, 02:39
Ken Habeeb
Tom --

I recently picked up a Hamilton 939 movement and dial, and just matched it up with an old coin silver case. On the movement reads: Made expressly for Paul C. Puls of Eau Claire Wisconsin.
Googling the name, I saw an ad in the Kodak, which may be an old newspaper or journal with the following:
"Who is it that requires the most accurate time?
Why
THE RAILROAD PEOPLE
Of Course.
Where do they go to to get their time pieces
adjusted when there is need of it? Naturally to
PAUL C. PULS,
Opposite the Eau Claire House, who renders them the service of an expert at a most moderate Cost.

kh
August 20, 2013, 07:51
Tom Brown
Ken

Thank you for that information.

Sounds like a nice watch with that dial!

Tom
August 20, 2013, 16:39
Tracy Day
I hope this pick comes through of the Tennessee Central Railway Company Time Table. My next post will show the approved watch inspectors.

Tracy

Time Table

Tracy
"Love those railroads"
August 20, 2013, 16:41
Tracy Day
Below shows the 5 approved inspectors for the Tennessee Central in 1955. I have my Dad's watch and time card showing that E. Pugh inspected his Hamilton Ball 999B.

Watch Inspectors

Tracy
"Love those railroads"
August 24, 2013, 12:40
Ken Habeeb
What make and model is your Dad's watch, Tracy? A photo would be nice, too, if you can do it.

kh
August 27, 2013, 10:48
Tracy Day
KH,

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't have a pic of Dad's Hamilton Ball 999B, but I'm going to work on that. I also need to take pics of my grandfather's Elgin BWR 472. Both are in great shape and work fine.

Tracy
"Love those railroads"
September 02, 2013, 15:43
Bill Carlson
WOW! Fantastic job, Tom.

Bill Carlson
September 21, 2014, 06:54
Eugene Buffard
Tom I came across this at the Fleamarket this weekend. I thought you might like it.

September 21, 2014, 20:28
Tom Brown
Eugene
Thanks for posting, nice looking holder!

Tom
November 24, 2014, 11:04
Edward Kitner
Tom, I just went over your data base again!
Great job, a never ending job!