Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Update page two

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Tom,
The time book arrived today. Pics of the front and back.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
A little fuzzy!
Top watch is a 992E in a model #2 case. The bottom is a model 974 Traffic Special in a gold case.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Tom,
I also have tried to google John Lewis and came up empty handed. Next week I am going to the city library and attempt to find some information on him.
The last time I was there I attempted to find some information on Myron DuBois but someone was on the micro film machine. I will do a search on both of them.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ed

John E. Lewis born about 1879 in New York, in 1930 census he is in Little Falls listed as owner of jewelry store. He was married to Leta (1884) & had a son Harold N. (1910), son John E (1013), daughter Edith (1920)

Below is his WWI Draft card

Also while I am at it;
Myron Dubois was born July 1854 in New York. In the 1900 census he is living in Little Falls & is listed as a jeweler. He is married to Elizabeth (June 1856), daughter Sara A (dec 1880), son Josiah C (Oct 1882), daughter Mary C (Apr 1885), son Harold J (Oct 1887)

Tom

WWI

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Tom,
You are a great help to us less capable searchers.
Thank you very much!
Ed

posted
Tom
Heres another insepctor Jack G Capehart
Capehart Jeweler Kenova WV , N&W

Larry

Posts: 2 | Location: Kenova, West Virginia in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Larry

I will add him to the main list with the next up date.

Would you happen to know which railroads he inspected for?

Apparently he had another family member in the business. This is from the 1938 city directory for Huntington, Ceredo, Kenova WV.

Tom

posted
Tom
He inspected for the N&W Ry. I will
check on the family member. My dad knows
his son.
Larry

Posts: 2 | Location: Kenova, West Virginia in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Larry, glad to get the info.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is another update to the list, as soon as I think I have the most I am going to find I will replace the entire list with a complete one. In the mean time if you look for someone you will just have to check all the updates.

Thanks
Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Second page of 02/2010 update

posted
I may have a new one for your list Tom, I am still searching but did find this.

Shaeffer and Cassedy, pioneer Cañon City jewelers, conducted business in the pre-1882building at 424 Main Street (5FN720.16). The firm was described as "the leading jewelers inthe city," and included George R. Schaeffer and his brother-in-law, George Cassedy. In1880, the Fremont County Record reported the partners "have opened a magnificent stock ofwatches, clocks, jewelry, specialties, etc.," on Main Street. The building at 430-32 MainStreet (5FN720.19) was also shown on the 1882 bird’s-eye-view map and housed a barbershop and a saloon in the early 1880s. At 610-12 Main Street (5FN720.58) a hotel waspresent by 1882, when the bird’s-eye-view map indicated it was the “R. Turner House,” withW.G. Ready as proprietor. A carriage shop was operating at 618-20 Main (5FN720.59) bythe early 1880s. The two-story building at 618-20 Main Street was also shown on the 1882map. The building had two stores on the first story and apartments and boarding rooms above.

Its a Rockford PL marked Shaeffer & Cassedy, Canon City, Colorado. Serial # 88528.

Seems as though I have something around here that links them to RR Time inspections.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
W.J. Mitchell Imperial valley, el centro, Ca. SP watch inspector. http://chroniclingamerica.loc....07-10-05/ed-1/seq-3/

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Ray, I will add them to the list, I hope I am getting close to putting out the new list again. I ran across another hundred or so names but keep them coming.

Tom

posted
Will do Tom, I just found a list published by SP of Southern Pacific approved time inspectors. I was going to check them against your list for any duplicates.

Here are 2 more though.
R.P Wiggins 7 n. 18th St. St. Louis, Mo (Frisco Line)

Farmer-Cannon Jewelry Co. 318 N. 20th St. Birmingham, Al (Frisco Line)

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ray would you have a link to that list, I am also trying to save a copy of the actual article that lists each inspector. My plan is to someday also add the images & any personal information I can find on each inspector. So far I have 1871 images.

Tom

posted
Here is the link Tom..Official roster for 1894 and 1895, you have to page through to find the "Official certified time inspector" There are maybe 15 or 20 listed and the cities they are from.http://www.archive.org/stream/...o00denvrich_djvu.txt

posted
Tom,
The 2 SP inspectors I listed can be found here.
http://thelibrary.org/lochist/...2/fem_1924_12_51.pdf

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Ray, got it. I thought I had searched there before, but I guess all these sites ad new stuff everyday. I appreciate you letting me know about them.

Tom

posted
Your welcome Tom. I also started a separate topic which has all of the Frisco line magazines from 1902-1935 online and readable. Lots of information.

Ray

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Yeah

I saw that & have already found a couple inspectors I don't have. I have a feeling this is going to be a never ending list.

Tom

posted
Somehow I think your right Smile

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Tom,

Wow, what a Herculean effort! Thanks and congrats!

If I may ask, how are you managing this massive list? Have you got it in an Excel table, an Access database or what?

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Well Ed, I actually have it several different ways, I haven't settled on the best format yet. Generally I enter each new one just in a word document that I keep in alphabetical order.

The I have another one that has their names, dates of birth & death & where they were born along with anything else I find interesting about them. Sometimes I discover they have a son or brother that is also a watchmaker or jeweler.

The images I haven't done anything with, I save each one by their last name, first, publication it was in, date, city & state.

I keep toying with different ideas of maybe eventually publishing a pamphlet broken down with a section by name, kind of what I have done here. The a section in order by State & city. Last a section with each ones personal information that I find & then the image from the publication. None of this may ever happen but it keeps me busy. I would guess I have looked at over 200,000 pages so far.

As I search I keep three lists showing so I can either confirm I have the person already or it is someone new.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mark found a ad for his Inspector Mr. Jarvis on a 1954-1955 NW & BO Time book, so at his suggestion I have included it here.

Tom

Jarvis

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks Tom! I also found a 1964 timebook on eBay, and the ad was exactly the same wording, so apparently he was still selling wallets and radios along with his jewelry and watch work 10 year later. I just don't remember that stuff. I was keyed in on his watches at the time. Big Grin

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Just in case you don't have these images

happy hunting

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
that last wasn't really an image of a person, but this one is.

Of course that picture makes him look more like a burglar Big Grin

happy hunting

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Bill

Tom

IHC Member 1110
posted
Hi Tom; I found a few Central Vermont Railway inspectors, from a 1950 timetable: M.D. Armstrong-St. Albans, Vt.; F.J. Preston & Son-Burlington, Vt.: Phillips & Lucas-Montpelier, Vt.;Bogle Bros.- White River Junction, Vt.;L.O. Covey- Brattleboro, Vt.; and Poudrier's Jewelry Store- New London, Conn.The Central Vermont was owned by Canadian National Railway, now known as New England Central....Thanks, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thank you Ted, I will add them to the list.

I need to redo the entire list, I have found a bunch more new ones too.

Tom

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Tom,

Since you already have the info in MS Word, it shouldn't be too much trouble to combine those into a MS Excel table.

I can do that for you if you like. From then on, working with the data, entering new info, producing reports, etc. should be much easier.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004