Internet Horology Club 185
Who carrys what watch?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/7836094242

May 12, 2015, 15:08
Keith Krugzda
Who carrys what watch?
I picked up this 16s, 17 jewel, adjusted Waltham Royal open face for $100 specifically to use as my carry watch. It keeps great time and although not a true "looker" (case back has some surface scratches, case opens just past Smile 90 degrees, bow and crown show wear from service), the dial and hands are mint, case shows no brassing, and the crystal is scratch free making it the perfect watch for me to carry every day. Excellent conversation piece. Folks always ask about it when I take it out to check the time. Just need to have crystal taken out to clean up the case edge between 2-3 o'clock. You can hardly see it in person, but the photos exaggerate it. Gold isn't peeling, just dirty in that area for some reason. I particularly like the movement and demaskeening on this watch.

May 12, 2015, 19:51
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
Nice looking Royal, Keith! You're right, that is a great carry watch,I have one like it, but mine has a center bridge and a separate escape wheel bridge finger.They were supposed to be a 3 -position watch, although not marked.Another under- appreciated but beautiful Waltham!
May 12, 2015, 21:45
Keith Krugzda
Thanks, Theodore. Would love to see photos of your Royal if you get a chance to post some. Mine needs to be sent out for a good COA. Not sure why the Royal is so underappreciated. Based on the fine performance it has given me, I'm impressed with the old girl.

Edit: And now that I understand what "brassing" actually is, I have to take back my comment above regarding no brassing on the case. The case is actually probably more brass than gold. Lol.
May 13, 2015, 19:30
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
Keith, unfortunately I don't have a way to photograph it,otherwise I would.I just got mine out to use it, and just my luck, the mainspring let go, I had it serviced two years ago, but didn't have the MS changed,my luck with mainsprings hasn't been too good this year! I read somewhere that the Royal was named after Royal E. Robbins, one of the bigwigs at Waltham early on.They all are a "royal" looking movement!
May 13, 2015, 20:31
David Abbe
I have to add that the Waltham "Royal" was named to commemorate that true "savior" of the American (Waltham) Watch Co. So the early R.E. Robbins (18s) and later "Royal" models are especially collectible as higher end "carry" watches.

Mr. Royal E. Robbins funded the company when it was in dire straits and then (most important) respected and absorbed the Nashua Watch Co. as a separate Engineering unit. It was Nashua engineering that put American Waltham Watch Co. in business with designs that remained effective for the next 75 years.

May 13, 2015, 20:44
Keith Krugzda
Sorry to hear of your main spring issue, Theodore. Hope you're able to get your watch up and running again.

Interesting information on the history of the Royal, Dave. Thanks. And nice watch. I just read about the Waltham, Nashua, Royal Robbins connection in Mike Harrold's book. Good stuff!!
May 25, 2015, 16:03
Kenneth R. Sloan
Newly serviced: 1902 Illinois Bunn Special

Kenneth Sloan
May 25, 2015, 16:04
Kenneth R. Sloan
from the front:

Kenneth Sloan
May 27, 2015, 21:28
Walter Byrd Wilson III
My most often carried watch is the Patek Philippe Chronometro Gondolo. An amazing timekeeper. Of all the RR timekeepers I own, this one never needs setting if I keep it wound. An intriguing story of this watch and its exclusive group of original raffle entrants can be found on the internet.
June 11, 2015, 23:06
Kevin Hoffman
Lets see if I can make this work , here is 2 orphans brought back to life , A P/S Bartlett movement in a silveroid case , and a "stick -on " dial ,the original was in poor shape , it needs hands to match the dial but I like it.

July 20, 2015, 21:09
Mike Benda
Pretty watch gift for a classy lady. Thanks t my friend. Mark Clark
Mike

July 21, 2015, 20:11
Peter Kaszubski
Here is how and what I carry
Burlington 3 fingers 19j made by Illinois in display case.

August 07, 2015, 08:28
Rafal Woler
Beautiful watch and fob Peter
August 17, 2015, 20:59
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
Lately I've been using an 18s 21J 918 Rockford,my only railroad grade Rockford.Kind of a scarce watch.Beautiful damaskeening on these.
August 17, 2015, 22:33
Kevin Hoffman
I love those burlingtons, Peter!
August 18, 2015, 08:56
Michael James Swift
Picked up this Ill Central last year for 50 bucks because I love the Montgomery dials. Wasn’t expecting much as was not running. Once I got it I found it wound okay so I gave it a slight bump against my palm and it starting running. Been running ever since, Every time I carry it it’s been a pretty darn consistent time keeper, loses about a minute every couple of weeks. Got it on me right now, best $50 I’ve spent in a while, who knew!

Ill Central

August 18, 2015, 09:10
Jon Hart
Nice 3x on your investment - Mr. Swift. Love the dial and 2 tone movement combo, too. Smile
August 20, 2015, 18:11
Kevin Hoffman
Really nice Illinois ! They really built some nice watches , the burlingtons are my favorite
September 14, 2015, 21:55
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
This week, carrying my "new" South Bend, an 18s 15J open face 333.Great running watch!
October 17, 2015, 21:11
Desmond Lundy
This is my companion - serial 500,412

November 25, 2015, 14:06
Kenneth R. Sloan
Recased, but still pretty. 1915ish Ball-Hamilton 999P.
First the dial side:

Kenneth Sloan
November 25, 2015, 14:06
Kenneth R. Sloan
and now, the movement:

Kenneth Sloan
November 26, 2015, 05:41
Dr. Debbie Irvine

Ken,

Can you provide the movement number?

Thanks.

November 26, 2015, 19:26
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
This week I'm running a 16S South Bend 17J 217, in a Crescent swing-ring silveroid case.A really nice "almost" railroad grade that gets overlooked for some reason.
November 26, 2015, 20:02
Kevin Hoffman
Nice one Ken , and Theo I have a little southbend I am partial to also ,the 217 is a very well made watch
December 03, 2015, 18:58
Mike Benda
Carry the three finger Pete today

December 03, 2015, 19:11
Peter Kaszubski
Nice,that lager makes me thirsty.
December 04, 2015, 10:21
Mark Cross
...and the watch fob perfect! I used to have one.

Regard! Mark
December 04, 2015, 19:11
Mike Benda
Yes Mark
Your posts about family ties to "nights & weekends"rwy are appreciated.
Served 10 years in the '80s all over the road.
Mostly at Norfolk Terminal Division, coal piers.
Hard work, great memories.
Mike
December 05, 2015, 20:33
Mark Cross
I still can't figure out how I let my fob get away from me. Frown

I also have/had a C&O fob, and a Seaboard Coast Line version somewhere.

Too much 'stuff'. Roll Eyes

Once again, my friend, you have good taste in watches and fobs. Wink

Regards! Mark

Wink
December 07, 2015, 19:01
Bryan Keith Richmond
My first post. Let's see if I can get it
to behave. I'm Keith R... from the green board.
I carry an AT&Co grade key wind and an English
verge 1834. Every now & then, a CH Meylan.
Happy holidays to all.

Keith

Keith R...
December 07, 2015, 21:43
Mike Benda
Welcome Keith
Please show pictures of your carry watches.
Welcome to the exciting world of Internet horology!
Mike
December 07, 2015, 22:45
Kevin Hoffman
welcome bryan