Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Show us your Private Label watches!!! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
dial

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
3movt

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I was just starting to search for William Kemp & then I realized I had already posted that for you Ray. Nice watch.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thanks Tom, and thanks again for the part to keep it running.

Ray

posted
How About an Illinois?
"She's Real Fine,My Little 409"
L. W. Suter, Seattle marked movement saved from scrapping of original Factory Gold casing.
Low 1150 production deluxe movement. Diamond, Ruby,Sapphire jewels in raised Gold settings, polished Gold train wheels,Gold balance screws. Double roller, adjusted to 5 positions. Not much originality but a heck of a carry watch for well under $100.

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
posted
Original trashed L.W.Suter dial and replaced dial.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is on Louis Suter from Nome and Seward Peninsula : history, description, biographies and stories

suter

posted
Thanks Tom your reference library is the geatest.
You just reminded me that I promised to post pictures of the Waltham M 1857 private label of J.F. Sargent. Mt. Pleasant, Iowa that you researched for me a while back, so here are a couple pictures and another hearty Thank You!
Keith

posted
Dial, This is a 15 jewel, Adjusted Waltham Watch Company Grade and is keeping great time.

posted
Case.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Nice watch Keith!

I am glad you reminded me I had already searched it, I catch myself looking up watches again only to find out I had already had.

Tom

posted
Nice model 57 Keith,

Love the hands...and that case is a beauty.

Ray

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Keith,
You have a really great looking mdl 57.
Here is one I have from a jeweler that had a store about 25 miles from where I live.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
Nice watch Ed, and only 643 numbers apart from Keiths

Ray

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Here is a Ball Watch marked A.N. Lipold on dial. This is a single roller watch so there is no real place to engrave a name on the movement. There are two names on the rear cover of the pocket watch. This was an ebay find so I dont know if the case had been changed prior to me owning it.

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Here is one of the names on the case back

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
and the other name (passed down father to son?.

The guy I bought the watch from said he thought the Hogans were from Ohio..

Bruce Byrd

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
This is a private label dial I have. It is from a swiss watch with two dial feet. The name on the dial is J. G. Graves Sheffield.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
John George Graves was born in 1866 in Lincolnshire UK & died in 1945.

Sheffield's Graves Art Gallery and Graves Park are named after local businessman John George Graves. Graves was actually born in Lincolnshire but moved to Sheffield to become an apprentice watchmaker. He established one of the country's first mail order businesses, first selling watches then a whole range of goods. At its peak, the company employed 3,000 people in the city and had an annual turnover of £1m. After his death the company was eventually transferred to Great Universal Stores.

Graves was an avid art collector and bought around 3,000 pictures, mainly 19th century English landscapes. He donated £30,000 towards the building of Sheffield's Central Library and Graves Art Gallery, to which he contributed hundreds of pictures from his private collection. He also paid £27,000 for an extension to join the Mappin Art Gallery with the City Museum so that more of his art collection could be housed there.

Graves donated over £1 million to Sheffield, including money to set up Sheffield University's students Union. He became Sheffield's Lord Mayor and Alderman in 1926 and was given Freedom of the City in 1929. He also made gifts of land to the city, including Graves Park, Ecclesall Woods, Tinsley playing fields, Concord Park and Blacka Moor.

graves

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Tom: Wow and Good job, thanks.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Your Welcome.

I am still searching for anything on Bruce's watch.

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Tom --

Here is a private-label Hamilton 974, also just posted in the Hamilton research section.

Serial number 1044261.
The seller said it belonged to his uncle.

kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Charles E. Vail was apparently in business for a long time in Plainfield. It appears he was born in NJ about 1854. I see him listed as a jeweler in the city directories from the 1880's up to the 1930's. He was still listed in the 1940 census as living in Plainfield with his son's family.

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Thank you, Tom. I saw that the Vail family was long-lived, with several members reaching advanced ages at a time when most people didn't.

kh

posted
Here is a recent pick up of mine. From my home state to boot!

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
And movement shot. A harder to find Hammie Big Grin

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
got this one yesterday,E.F.Davis Commercial Standard Tillsonburg ,anyone know the maker???

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Tom Brown, I'd be grateful for any information you could dig up about Jos Coleman, the private label namesake of this Hamilton 935.
kh

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
movement:

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
From the movement I see it is marked Massillon Ohio. There was a Joseph Coleman who was born about 1823 in England that is listed as a jeweler in Massillon Ohio in the census records for 1870, 1880, and 1900. In the registration for the draft during the civil war dated 1 July 1863 he is listed as a jeweler in Massillon.

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Thanks Tom. That sounds like a good match, and he must have been successful in his trade.