Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Show us your Private Label watches!!! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Yes close to 40 years if not over. I found where he apparently passed away either late 1900 or early 1901. I tried to find his obit but no luck, he apparently was very big in the cities government and boards. I found a few books that mention him but they only allow a sentence or two to be viewed.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
here is Will Bashaw from Centerville Iowa

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I dug out this little s/n 2771408 "Bromberg & Gregory signed 16s 17J Hampden model 4 with a spotless Factory signed DS dial which has been languishing in my "disaster watch" pile for about 6 years.

After a quick inspection, it became clear that new hands, a new staff, mainspring and some pivot jewels could easily render it more affable to timekeeping again. After restoring it . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
this Hampden Bridge Model holds within a second or two a day. A "quick Google" shows that Bromberg and Gregory who in the 1910-1912 era of this watch were quite active in Battle Creek Michigan. The basis of their success is certainly because they were at the Junction of Some US and Canadian Trunk Railways supporting Detroit in the East and Chicago in the West from points North of the compass as is seen on the cut of my big vintage RR map included below;

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Pretty nice Dave!
Maybe you better take another look in that pile.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Here is a private label Hamilton showing Fred N Day of Winston, NC (prior to the merger of Winston and Salem in 1913). According to the Hamilton database the watch is a 17 jewel Model 974 from 1903. The 974 Hamilton typically has the "17 Jewels" engraved where this watch has "Special" and not to the right as the later 974s Specials had.

Posts: 98 | Location: Boone, North Carolina USA | Registered: December 16, 2005
posted
Movement 1

posted
Movement 2

posted
Note

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
I have no information on the proprietor of this 18 size private label Elgin, which I had to spring for because it was sold in San Francisco, my city of birth.

Apparently Elgin generally did not put PL names on both dial and movement. And this is the first Elgin PL with a nickel-plated movement I've seen.

I suppose it's possible that the dial came from another timepiece, but if I find out that O.M. Howard was selling to local trainmen, I'll wonder less about that.
kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Here's the 15J railroad-grade movement from 1890.

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Ken, get the loupe, are you sure it is not D.M. Howard?

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ken you have a RR Grade 116 B.W. Raymond movement which is quite valuable. The private label dial which costs more to do than marking the movement shows well for it's provenance too.

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
I don't have it yet, so I'm unsure about the initials. The listing read O.M., but I'll get out the loupe in a few days. Meanwhile, some research turned up the fact that most pre-1890 Elgin PL watches are movement-marked only; after 1890 dial-marked only, with exceptions.
But I understand that in the first place Elgin PLs are not real common.
kh

postscript: For anyone trying to reconcile "private label" with "railroad grade," there is this from a Richard Watkins who did some research and wrote about that: "Private label watches were accepted, a few for quite a long time on some railroads. Private labeling goes back almost to the earliest American watch production and was quite prevalent in the last quarter of the nineteenth century. In the 1860s, the Pennsylvania Rail Road ordered both Appleton, Tracy & Co. and National Watch Co. B.W. Raymond watches furnished with the railroad's name on the dials...by WWI the private labeled standard watches were pretty much done as in no longer being permitted to enter service, although surely a number were grandfathered forward."

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
There was a Oliver M. Howard who was a jeweler in San Francisco in the 1890's-1900's city directories.

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Thanks Tom, I got an email note just a few minutes ago from Lorne indicating a D.M. Howard in the Elgin PL database, but I think that's due to the font style of the label, the O. was mistaken in the Database as a D.
Do you know anything about him -- what street he was on and/or info, photos?
kh

IHC Life Member
posted
Here's a little newer Elgin PL marked on the dial and movement.
Grade 339 1909 serial# 13500064
Looks like I need a correct second hand.

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom already looked this one up.
Looks like he was Gustave J. Kasper according to the 1920 census and he was living in Cleveland OH. It states he was born about 1881 in Ohio & is listed as a jeweler. He is married to Julia (abt 1885).

In the 1930 census he is still in Cleveland with Julia, now he has switched his occupation listing to optician, this appears to be very common in the early part of the century for jewelers to also become opticians.

Also he is listed as August J. in this census.

He & Julia are also in the 1910 Cleveland census, still a jeweler.

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ken

City directory shows for 1901 3294 Mission, residence 221 Duncan.

1903 Mutual Savings Bank, residence 221 Duncan
1907 3294 Mission, residence 717 Waller

So far I can't find him in the census but I will keep looking.

IHC Member 1357
posted
Here is a Hamilton 974 Dial and Movement marked Henry J Howe Syracuse,N.Y. S/N 358603=1905.Sorry dial is not marked Syracuse,N.Y.

a

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted
Movement

z

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Thank you, Tom. Mission is one likely street for a jewelry store in The City.

I have to say that I like the label type fonts for all these PL watches -- all different, all stylish.

kh

IHC Member 1693
posted
Here's one that I like. It's a Hamilton 927 SN 247503
W M Shlaes Special The Head Captain Hancock Mich.
This is the 3rd example that I have seen, but the
2 others just said The Captain Hancock Mich. Not
the Head Captain. I have not been able to find anything on Shlaes. Was he a Jeweler ? A Captain
on the Great Lakes ? I don't know.
I hope that someone can help. Tom Brown perhaps ?
Thank You Jack

Posts: 352 | Location: Southeast Michigan in the USA | Registered: March 22, 2012
IHC Member 1693
posted
Movement

Posts: 352 | Location: Southeast Michigan in the USA | Registered: March 22, 2012
IHC Member 1693
posted
Bridge

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
There was a William M. Shlaes that was a jeweler in Hancock Mich., this ad is from the 1910 city directory.

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
I'm looking for a 927 just that clean looking, Jack. Wink

IHC Member 1693
posted
Thanks Tom. I knew that if anyone could find
Mr Shlaes it would be you. Ken, I brought it home to Michigan a few years back, I think its here to
stay now. ( I still don't get the Captain thing )

IHC Member 1357
posted
A little info. on Mr. Howe a civil war veteran,a courier and body guard to Gen.Burnsides.Opened jewelry store in Syracuse,N.Y. after the war and it stayed in business till the 1970's.
Roger

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Wow. There's some history.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ken

If you search Howe on this site you will find more info on him, he has been researched before.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Henry J. Howe was a major agent for Hamilton watches in central NYS. He also sold PL watches under the name "Central City." Central City is a nickname for Syracuse, NY, because of it's location in the state.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Following up on what Tom Brown said...

"If you search Howe on this site you will find more info on him, he has been researched before"

For those not familiar with utilizing our "Find-Or-Search" feature, typing in "Howe" brings up the following topics:

Click here for: Howe

for 15 topics will show up.

Smile

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002