Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Show us your Private Label watches!!! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
I've always liked private label watches. It seems to set the ordinary watch into a different kind of watch that's no longer just ordinary. I find that it's difficult to find private labels on the dial and the movement and when I find one I'm always interested in seeing one that's marked that way.

So what do you have? Do you collect Private Labels? Do you do research on the ones you might have? Well, let's see some watches people. As for my private watch, I know that Middletown is along the Hudson not too far upstream from NYC. I'm not sure who A.M. Ambler is but I do know that there are quite a few Amblers living there today.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
A.M. Ambler was Arlington M. Ambler, he was born about 1877 in New York & in the 1930 census he was living in Middleton, Orange, New York & was listed as a jeweler with a jewelry business. He was married to Elizabeth born about 1890 & they had a son William 16 & daughter Elizabeth 15 living with them.

In 1900 he was listed as a jeweler in Middleton but was living with his parents, Rufus & Harriet Ambler. This census shows he was born July 1874

His WWI Draft shows he was born July 31, 1874 & his middle name was Mead.

Tom

WWI

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Here is one of mine I like the hart shape regulator on it.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is one of mine, it is a Hamilton 940 Private Label of S. Engwiller marked S. Engwiller Special Mansfield, Ohio.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is the movement.

Samuel Engwiller was born May 30, 1855 in Philadelphia Pa. He died Feb. 2, 1922 in Ohio

posted
Here is my Hamilton PL. Great topic.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Close up of the name and city, hard to see in large pic.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
And the Hamilton marked dial.

posted
Another favorite is this early seth Thomas PL.

posted
and dial

posted
Ray,
What kind of hands are those on your Hamilton? Or should I refer to them as weapons? Nice!
M.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
posted
They are "weapon like" huh Mike. I think they are called umbrella type hands if i'm not mistaken. Someone will have the right answer for us.

Ray

posted
They are umbrella hands and were on E.Howard watches.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hope you all don't mind if I post info I find on these private labels. If so let me know & I will just email the poster.

E. Haverly of Sayre Pa according to the 1900 census for Sayre, Bradford Pa. was Edward Haverly born Jan 1864 in New York, he was listed as a jeweler. He was married to Belle born Jan 1870.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
F.L. Taber

1900 census Holyoke, Hampden, Mass was Frank L. Taber born Oct 1850 in Ma., he is listed as a jeweler. He is living with his wife Fannie M. Dec 1860, daughter Sarah P. July 1878, son Raymond Mar 1882, son Earle Nov 1891.

This image is from the 1884 Holyoke City Directory.
Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Apparently sometime after 1884 he left partnership with Chapman, this is from the 1893 directory

posted
Here is one of my Howards with unbrella hands.

Not a private label.

posted
Tom,
I will take any information you have and keep it with the watches.
Thank you, I didn't have much luck with these two in the past.

Ray

posted
Mike,
The umbrella hands on these two watches are a little bit different in design. Interesting, I'm going to check my watches further
Ray

posted
Ray
Your right they are a little differnt.
Mike

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
The hands on Ray's Hamilton are called crescent. Similar to the Howard hands but the "umbrella" is facing up, not down.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Hamilton-18s-926-sn-38932

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Hamilton movement

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
JOHN F. HORNBERGER, the popular jeweler of Lawrenceburgh was born in the same city in 1845, and is a son of John HORNBERGER. He was educated in the public schools of his native town, and for several years was engaged in the various county offices as clerk or deputy. At the age of twenty-one years he began the jeweler's trade with John Goessler, of Newport, Ky., with whom he remained about two years. He then went to Cincinnati for a time, opening his shop in Lawrenceburgh in 1869. His establishment is located at No. 71 High Street, where he carries a stock of general jewelry valued at about $5,000. He does all kinds of work peculiar to the trade, and has a liberal patronage. Mr. HORNBERGER was married, in 1869 to Buena Vista McCRIGHT, of Lawrenceburgh, daughter of Joseph and Nancy McCRIGHT, well known residents of the place, and they have four children: Katie, Nanna, George and John. Mr. HORNBERGER is a member of the K. of P., and one of the live business men of the town.

"HISTORY OF DEARBORN AND OHIO COUNTIES, INDIANA-1885"

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is my South Bend Grade 215 George Baker watch.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
The George Baker dial

posted
Ernie, beautiful watch with a fantastic dial!

chas

Posts: 63 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: June 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
George Thomas Baker was born October 20, 1878 in Mn. In the 1930 census for Bemidji, Beltrami, Mn he is listed as a proprietor of a jewelry store, he is married to Grace M. & they have an adopted daughter Rose Marie.

Tom

draft

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Charles: Thank you!

Tom: Great work, Thank you!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is an Illinois Railroad Grade 61s that was part of a 100 piece lot made for Mr. W.H. Booth of Souix Falls SD who was listed in 1896 as an Illinois Central Watch Inspector. It is goin on eBay tomorrow.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Willis H. Booth was born April of 1860 in Wisconsin. In the 1900 census he is living in Sioux Falls, Minnehaha, South Dakota & is listed as a jeweler. He is married to Grace, has a 12 year old daughter Margaret, 10 year old Dorothy, a servant & a brother-in-law living with him.

The is from the 1889 city directory for Sioux Falls.

cd

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
History of Dakota Territory, Volume 4

WILLIS HIRAM BOOTH.

It has been frequently said that "there is no more popular man in Sioux Falls than Willis Hiram Booth." This popularity does not depend upon any prominent public position to which he has attained, for he has never sought to figure in any public connections outside of business. That his friends are legion is due to the fact that he has been an honorable and enterprising business man, a progressive and public-spirited citizen and one whose geniality is native and whose cordiality is unfeigned. He was born in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, April 23, 1858, and is a son of Hiram and Sarah G.(Ordway) Booth, the former a native of New York, while the latter came from Boston, Massachusetts.

In the public schools of his native city Willis H. Booth pursued his education and at length put aside his textbooks in order to learn the jeweler's trade. He began in that way at an early age in Beaver Dam and throughout his entire life has been connected with that department of commercial activity. Thinking that the growing northwest offered good business opportunities, he came to Sioux Falls on the 12th of August, 1880, and here worked at his trade until 1884. In that year he established a jewelry store of his own and has since conducted the business. He has enlarged his stock to meet the growing demands of the trade, occasioned by the increased population of the city, and his line of jewelry is carefully selected and his stock tastefully and attractively arranged. His business methods are such as will bear the closest investigation and scrutiny, conforming at all times to the highest standard of commercial ethics. He is obliging, courteous and tactful and in the management of his business displays a spirit of unfaltering energy and of unfailing enterprise.

At Rushmore, Minnesota, in 1886, Mr. Booth was united in marriage to Miss Grace R. Wemple and to them have been born two daughters: Marguerite R., the wife of J. Knapp Brown; and Dorothy Grace, who married Harry N. Aikens.

The parents are members of the Episcopal church and Mr. Booth belongs also to the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. In Masonry, too, he has attained high rank, having taken the degrees of the York and Scottish Rites, while with the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine he has crossed the sands of the desert. His political allegiance has ever been given to the republican party since age conferred upon him the right of franchise, but he has never desired nor sought office, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs. He has ever recognized the fact that intense industry must be counterbalanced by pursuits of recreation and his friendly nature has prompted his cooperation in social events which have made him widely known in his adopted city. Everyone speaks of him in terms of high regard and all are proud to claim his friendship.

posted
Here is a private label Rockford. I was lucky enough to have Tom provide me with a new setting lever recently.