• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Request for Rockford Serial Numbers from 1-543,000 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi All,

Just chasing earlier (and now later production) Rockford Watch Company serial numbers between 1-543,000 range (I have just edited the research-range) for research purposes. These serial ranges are absolutely all over the place and most of the contemporary writings/research are a long way out in some instances (as some of you have already deduced). We have a lot of numbers to date in the database but need more. The portrayed examples of these serial/production runs are based on the normal 1,000 to 2,000 block runs, in early assessment of the numbers, this is clearly not the case. So a lot more work needs to be doneSmile

If you have any numbers you would like to share as well as details on features such as the following;

Plate type :- either nickel or gilt, jewel count (if you know how, as you would be surprised on how people do not now how to count the different configurations), Setting and winding type, case screw count and last but not least if a stem winder, does it wind at the 12 or 3 o'clock positions.

If you are unsure of any of the above please send me a photo of dial side and back plate so we can work it out. The reason I ask this is that the difference between model 2 and 3's is confusing and even sometimes the model 4's. We have already gone through multiple sites including our Forum here looking for examples and have logged those in the database, if you have any in your collections or parts bin it would be great to know.

This Rockford project only originally started out as a look into the 18 size Model 5 production of this Company by myself and my Daughter Erin, but it has now snowballed just a little. All info is highly regarded and appreciated, thank you.

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Bila. I have but one: Serial no. 124497,
Nickle plate,
11 Jwls.,
Key wind and set,
One case screw,
Regards John

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Member 1555
posted
Excellent, Thank You JohnSmile

IHC Member 1555
posted
Soon after this run of Model 1 key-wind watches, they jump into what appears to be a short 500 quantity (on numbers at present) run of Model 2 Transitional's, then immediately back to the Model 1 Key-winds. This is what make these early runs very interesting from a research prospectiveSmile

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Hi Mate,

I used to have some old Rockfords but I sold them both. They were transitional and neither one worked very well. I know the model one is on this site so you may already have it listed #7280, gold flashed and 9 jewel. The other was a model 2
it was guilt and 7j. That's about all I can remember mate.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Harry, I found those, if you see any more in your travels can you point me in their direction. That Gilt damaskeened one you had was interesting only know of 4 othersSmile

posted
Well I just had to see a Gilt damaskeened Rockford, thankfully yours wasn't buried too far in the threads Harry.

Wonderful movement!

Posts: 90 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2019
IHC Member 1610
posted
I sure will mate! Please say hello to Erin.

Rick I am glad you found it.

Harry

IHC Member 1610
posted
Bila here is one on ebay #4486 4486

Harry

IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Harry and I sure willSmile

IHC Member 1555
posted
Just bringing this to the top, as we are still looking for more numbersSmile

IHC Member 1613
posted
Early Rockford serial #2735..

Posts: 2003 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Excellent Gary, Thank You, one we didn't haveSmile

IHC Member 1613
posted
Bila the only thing left of this poor guy is this upper plate..Private label Henry Korf...Serial number is 6577...Either a 9 or 11 jewel but can't be sure which one because original dial plate is missing...Maybe you can use for your research...Gary

Posts: 2003 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
They all help Gary, this one would have been a 9 Jewel Key Wind & Set, as it falls in a run of them, thank you for the numberSmile

IHC Member 1650
posted
Bila

I have a couple of Rockfords in the range you are researching:

15323 is 11 jewel, gilt plates, I have it cased as KWKS, but it has some kind of stem wind conversion (that doesn't work).

90291 is 9 jewel, gilt plates, KWKS

Posts: 370 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Douglas, has that jewel count be verified with the dial off, also can you let me know when you get a chance does that #15323 with the stem-wind conversion have 1 case screw or 2 off them?

Does the lever pull out like a normal lever or rock up or down around the movement edge.

Cheers,
Bila

posted
I worked on one for a customer.#167510,key and stem wind(stem wind didn't work because of broken pinion leaves),lever set,9 jewel, gilt plates.
Ernie

Posts: 42 | Location: Manitoba in Canada | Registered: December 05, 2014
IHC Member 1555
posted
Does it have 1 or 2 cases screws to hold the movement Ernie? Thank you for the numberSmile

posted
I don't remember but I should be able to find out.
Ernie

Posts: 42 | Location: Manitoba in Canada | Registered: December 05, 2014
IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Ernie, if you could that would be greatSmile

IHC Member 1650
posted
Bila

I took the dial off of 15323. It turns out to be 11 jewels. Also, I have attached a photo of the dial side so you can see the stem wind/lever set conversion. The lever is broken - I can't tell what the rest of it would have looked like. It has 2 case screws. Also, it is configured for a hunting case.

Doug

Posts: 370 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Thank you for doing this Douglas, That is the normal Rockford rocking bar set-up. Some of the early models had an Abbott's patent winding mechanism and also another unknown origin type of mechanism fitted.

We have been recording this as we are going, so the records are as correct as we can make them. We have noticed some of the early reporting as well as some recent stuff was been reported incorrectly. This has been due to in some cases movements being fitted to key wind cases due to faults in the winding mechanism.

The early Rockford production runs are so convoluted when it comes to Model 1 & 2's as well as their jewel counts (also in some later runs as well), it borders on the unbelievable. They chopped and changed so much it makes you wonder what the management was thinking. It is like they were changing production every time a new order came inSmile

IHC Member 1610
posted
Bila there is one on ebay 171673 it is gilt. Winds at 3 and has 2 case screws. Looks like a transitional to me tbob45 calls it a convertable and says it is 13j/15j but PWDB says it is 11j.

Harry

IHC Member 1555
posted
Good eyes Harry, thank you. It does not come up in my searches for some reason, can you send me a private email with a link please?

posted
I noticed talk of the stemwinding on these.

A watch friend and myself both agree that these early "transitional" Rockford's are prone to stemwind issues. Is this common? I have two model twos, both skip and jump when winding with the stem.

When I serviced my nickel 11 jewel model 2, I noticed the hole for the stem was much larger than the stem in the case. I made a new stem (sort of crude but functional) that fit the square perfectly, and now it winds much better. My theory is there is too much play in the winding arbor.

Posts: 90 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2019
IHC Member 1555
posted
I have seen plenty of these Rick with worn winding arbor pinion teeth and the associated meshing beveled winding wheel. I think this is due to the fact of the design, it relates to the length of the actual rocking bar mechanism's length which seems to help the retaining screw to come loose. With constant use over the years with it loose it tends to wear the pinion teeth and the beveled winding wheel teeth causing incorrect meshing.

posted
Ah thank you. I haven't had a model two apart in a long time, but next time I will definitely go over what you talked about.

I just received a new one this week. Private label.

Model 1
Gilt
One case screw
15 jewels verified by pulling dial.

I probably already sent you that one, but wanted to share the jewel count especially.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Nah Rick didn't have it mate, must of been one you've missed, good to know about the jewel count we only had 2 others in this block.

Can you enlighten me on the type of jewel settings, they should be true settings, let me know when you get a chance or if unsure please post a photo, thank youSmile

posted
I'm sorry, I know that's important and forgot to add it. Yes it has actual jewel settings, which is one of the reasons I grabbed it.

Unfortunately I found one upper and lower cracked train jewels, one cracked balance hole jewel and a.broken staff and mainspring. Soooo this one will be a fun project! Haha.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Nearly always the way with some of these older ones Rick, at least that one is true jewel setting. I did a very nice Illinois "Wettstein" P/L watch for a friend the other day with 3 stuffed jewels on the back plate, they were bezel set (rubbed in), so a real pain.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Here is another one on EBay Bila...

Rockford movement number: 123796

IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Harry, need plenty more mate if you see them, Rick H is keeping an eye out as well. The production runs of these Rockford's are just all over the place with their early Model 1 & 2'sSmile