Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Boxcar Dial "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Take a look at this dial and let me know what you think of it....

Thanks for all comments, pro & con....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Rear of dial....

IHC Life Member
Picture of Mitch Markovitz
posted
It's an enamel one from what I've read, the Double Sunk Emergency Era during WWII. That's when they were having trouble with double sunk dials and went right to single sunk for a while. I've seen it on a number of 992Bs over the years.

It looks genuine to me account the glazing on the back, and the type on the face appear correct.

Posts: 464 | Location: Northern Indiana in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2009
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thanks Mitchell, I was wondering about the production date of such faces but was concerned also about this one being only a single sunk model....

Regards,

Jerry

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
After checking here on the site:

992B dials

This dial would be approporiate on a 992B with a s/n of C137501 to C199800....and later....

Regards,
Jerry

IHC Life Member
Picture of Mitch Markovitz
posted
I have a notion, and mind you it's merely my conjecture, that the often mentioned "Clipped 10" dial was the first of the resumed double sunk dials. This is the model that has the bottom right corner of the "0" in the numeral "10" clipped off by the edge of the sink.

I imagine that when resumption of double sunk dials began Hamilton used the rim printing die of the single sunk version for the numerals. As the numerals and minutes track had been moved in a little to compensate for the lack of the double sink, the corner of the "10" was clipped off.

Posts: 464 | Location: Northern Indiana in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2009