Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

star case date "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1514
posted
I have a star watch case marked-cased and timed by elgin- stainless steel-3057-0351739.Tried to find a manufacture date but have had no luck.Any one know about how old it is?Would like to put appropriate era dial and movement in.THANKS

Posts: 73 | Location: Columbus, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 29, 2010
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
A photo would help, Tim.... Some as early as the 1920's others as late as the 1950's....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1514
posted
I don't know how to post pictures,maybe my son can help.I'll do it as soon as possible.Thanks!

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Extremely large images cannot be viewed by those with slower internet connections or smaller screens. Due to those considerations and to avoid overloading storage capacity our system is set up to not accept poster size images.

Click here: How to Photograph Your Watches and Clocks

In there you will find information about sizing your images and posting them on our site.

Click these other links:

HELP IN POSTING IMAGES FOR HOSTING ON OUR IHC185 DISCUSSION SITE

PICASA - EXCELLENT FREE IMAGE PROGRAM

Hope this helps,

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1514
posted
still trying to learn the picture thing...always a complication at every step...

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Tim just so you know Almost every one that try to post photos in the beginning have trouble.

Please take the time to link to site above that Dr Debbie has so listed for your help.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Member 1514
posted
test

IHC Member 1514
posted
i think i did it!

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Yes you did Tim, congratulations!

That looks to me like a Elgin-Star Model 3057 Stainless Steel Case which would have been specifically manufactured for the Elgin 571 beginning in 1950 and used through the 1954 end of 571 production.

If I am correct about your case there will be a "crescent-shaped" area cut away where the movement fits into the back of the case-frame, this is to accommodate the unusual regulator design which is peculiar to the 571 movements. This would also explain the lack of a stem and crown in your case because unlike other modern Railroad Watches the folks at Elgin chose to go their own way with a detent system.

An image of the case-frame where the case-screws rest would confirm or deny my theory.

Now I will either look positively brilliant Smile or a bit Confused confused.

Carefully review this topic for additional 571 information...

CLICK: "Elgin 571 A, B and C Variant Questions"

Lindell

Wink

Look for the regulator-screw cut-away shown here...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1514
posted
LINDELL YOUR POSITIVELY BRILLIANT!BUT...WHAT IS THE OTHER LARGE CUT OUT ACROSS FROM IT,WILL IT INTERFERE WITH A CASE SCREW...THANKS!I'VE ASKED ALOT.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
That "other" cut out Eek

Is a very nasty "boo-boo" that someone made later that took away the value and for most purposes, usefullness, for that case Frown

We could speculate all day as to the "why's", but it matters little as the damage negates the value too severely. This case is now nothing more than a "shop case" that one might try a movement out in or a shipping case to ship a movement in.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1514
posted
SO... IS IT USABLE?WILL IT WORK AS A DAILY USER OR WILL THE BOO-BOO HARM THE MOVEMENT SOMEHOW.I'M A BEGINNER BUT THOUGHT THIS WAS COOL LOOKING,IF NOT COLLECTABLE.THANKS!