Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 571 A, B and C Variant Questions "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member
posted
Being one of 185's biggest Elgin fans, I'm always interested in unusual B. W. Raymond watches. I understand from our IHC185 Search (thanks to you, Lindell) that the Elgin B.W. Raymond Model 571 has three variant movement markings: A=no name with 8 adjustments, B= name with 8 adjustments, and C= name with 9 adjustments.

Lindell, since you mentioned the "C" variant might be considered more desirable by some collectors, I will assume (for now) that it is rarer or maybe having more complete markings. Is there any info on how many of these variants were produced? Wayne's site is not always of help even with the advanced search.

I'm having fun tracking this down, but things are coming to a standstill-am I into the "Great Unknown" of pocket watch info? Eek Wink
Thanks for anything you all can add.

Marty

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I've only come across the 3 categories you mention. I carry a 571 on a regular basis from 1950. I believe it would both fall under the 'B' category you list above, as it's marked 8 adjustments.

The unmarked Type A's were more rare, made from '46-'47, and only 17,000 made in total.
8 position marked Type B's were made from '47-'51, with a total of 91,000 produced.
9 position Type C's from 51-'54, and a total of 63,000 made.

There are more of us 'silent Elgin types' than you might realize. Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member
posted
Mark,
Thanks for your help, that really fills in some blanks. There's nothing like searching and getting nowhere.
As for being more active;I wish! I can hardly keep up anymore- But part of that's due to the new members we have. Membership on this site has exploded!

Marty

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Glad to help.
Smile

I've told this story before, but in my families past, they were railroaders on the Norfolk and Western, and kept a running argument between Hamilton owners and Elgin owners as to whose watch was the best. My family members owned Elgins. I'm sure once cars appeared, it moved over to the 'Ford vs Chevy' debate that goes on to this very day. Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I wonder if someone could clarify a question for me. When you say no name, how were these movements marked?

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
The type I had no name other than Elgin printed on the dial, but the type II and III usually had 'B.W.Raymond' printed over the Elgin name.

Regard! Mark

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Guys,

I have always found the 571-A, 571-B and 571-C variant movements very interesting but often confusing. Elgin did some strange things with them, they seem to have alternated between the B and C variants as they did previously with A and B variants, why they did that is a mystery that also confuses our perception of their production numbers. We can agree on an approximately 171,000 total production which is a small percentage of the more than 525,000 of Grade 992B movements that Hamilton sold making a nice Elgin 571 not nearly so easy to find. For simplicity, we use A, B and C designations for the Grade 571 movements because the "Type I" and other numbered "Types" are so commonly associated with researching Illinois movements. Remember, watch manufacturers made no reference to their variants so we as modern-day collectors came up with these distinctions to help sort out the differences.

To help answer Gary's question about names, the earliest movements which we usually refer to as 571-A will have no "B. W. Raymond" signature, hence "no-name" on the movement and some of those will have just Elgin and a star on the dial. That star was part of the "Elgin, timed by the stars" advertising campaign. As mentioned by Mark above the later Grade 571 movements and dials both usually carry "B. W. Raymond" and "Elgin" most often with a stylized "dp" for Elgin's "Dura-Power Mainspring" all featured on the dial. In the three images that follow see examples of the three Grade 571 Movement Variants. Note the early 571-A shown below also has the earlier style winding wheels, this one also fronts a dial with "Elgin" and their "dp" mainspring trademark.

(1946) 571-A without a B. W. Raymond signature...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

(1950) 571-B has the "B. W. Raymond" signature...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

(1954) 571-C has later "9-Adjustments" upgrade...

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you Lindell. Smile

The 571 is one of my favorite carry watches to date, and one of the most accurate and consistant time keepers in my collection.

Regards! Mark

IHC President
Life Member
posted

I agree completely Mark, they are excellent and often unappreciated watches.

The only weak or potentially problematic areas in the 571 are the setting mechanism and their hard to use detent-stem in such an otherwise modern movement. Many who try to remove a 571 movement from the case their first time get into very serious trouble and break the stem. It is absolutely vital to recognize that little screw shown in the image below. Loosen it little-by-little and carefully "rock" the crown and stem out of the movement as an assembly.

Do not ever go more than two full turns out or that screw may disengage under the dial.

Use the greatest caution with that detent screw...

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I've been fortunate to pick up a NOS backup setting mechanism, as well as one of the 'rare' LaRose conversion kits to make a 571 into a pendent set movement should push ever come to shove on one of my watches.

Thanks for the tip on the detent screw. That I did not know.

Regards! Mark

IHC Member
posted
Lindell and Mark,
I had no idea about that either; I sure am glad to find this out...I have every intention of owning a 571 someday.

Nice pic's,Lin-as always!

It seems to me that detent screw and removal of the crown/stem assembly was something I had only come across from watches much older-say 40 plus years older. Is that true? Very strange choice in any case...

Marty

IHC President
Life Member
posted

So you guys see it too!

That is why I commented on... "their hard to use detent-stem in such an otherwise modern movement" ...they were essentially going backwards! Consider this, in 1940 Hamilton set the industry on its ear with 992B introduction allowing them to use it as the basis of an entire product line. And then Elgin had SIX YEARS to develop their answer, in 1946 they brought out the 571 and in my opinion missed their intended target. With the regulator adjustment too bulky for their movement to fit a standard case without special modifications they showed a lack of planning, with their setting problems and illogical choice of a by-then antiquated (had not been used on Lever-Set Hamilton 16s watches for 40 years!) detent system I think Elgin engineers zigged when they should have zagged.

Wink

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
This is a very interesting topic. Smile
As usual Lin is here, with his wonderful pictures and easy to understand explanations. Smile
That mention of the detent-stem and the little screw. Great stuff.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
I am also a fan of the 571- we are more or less contemporaries. Elgin was a favored watch of the old Chicago, Milwaukee, St Paul and Pacific Railway (the Milwaukee Road). I have been told they recommeded Montgomery dials. It has been suggested that the more streamlined Art Deco case design was influenced by the design of this railroad's Hiawatha streamliners. There is a restored Milwaukee Road 4-8-4 steam locomotive (#261)and passenger cars that make up a full train that runs excursions. (in the fall, up and down the Mississippi River valley on old Milwaukee Road rails) I ride it frequently and carry an Elgin 571. After showing it to fellow train riders and some of the crew I have been able to sell a few of these watches after discussing its history and background. So in a way some of these Elgins are (unofficially) back in railroad service!

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
So this one I thought was a Swiss Elgin is a "571C" with an ugly bow and missing gooseneck regulator spring.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Yep. Looks like the bow is stretched out a bit, and the regulator spring is missing.

In looking at the production numbers, and this is ONLY my personal opinion, it appears that if Elgin had continued to produce the 571 for the same time length that Hamilton produced the 992B, they would have been neck and neck in production numbers, if not higher. Considering the 571 was technically a 'post war baby', that's a lot of watches produced and sold in a pretty short period of time, and they sold for the same price at the time!

From 1946 - 1954 they made a total of 171,000 571's. 8 years.
The 992B was made from 1941 - 1969, and around 525,000+- units. 28 years, including one world war with watch use and production! Eek

It's the old 'what if....?'

Regards! Mark

IHC Member 1016
posted
I had one of the unmarked 571's when I first started buying RR watches. Sold it for $175 and wish now I still had it.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
posted

(POST ONE OF TWO IN A ROW)

Mike,

It is amazing how we can later regret selling off something that we originally took for granted.

The earliest variant which we call an Elgin 571-A without "B. W. Raymond" signature is difficult to find in top condition and interestingly some in the earliest runs have shown up with the signature leading to speculation the "B. W. Raymond" may have been added earlier than previously supposed. In fact looking up my early example Click for: U623007 in the Elgin Watch Collectors Database there is yet another reference to that fact with... "This run is nameless but BWR have been seen" ...which is interesting. Consider that U623007 is essentially 3,006 into a run of 5,000 which could lead us to reasonably conclude the "B. W. Raymond" addition was phased in shortly after this movement, right?

Wrong! And here is why...

Let us now go to number U432012 in the Elgin Watch Collectors Database is presumed to be "1,012 of 171,000 in the grade" yet guess what? Well, check this image from eBay in February of 2006 shows it is marked as "B. W. Raymond" on the barrel bridge! Apparently the folks at Elgin must have played games with the "B. W. Raymond" marking in 1946 as they would later with "8-Adjustments" markings toward the end of their Grade 571 production.

This one, number U432012 is very interesting...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

(POST TWO OF TWO)

Problem is we will never know for sure but we do know the "un-marked" meaning what we call "571-A" without "B. W. Raymond" is one of the watches that collectors should be looking for. About that same time an even earlier example with some gold trim showed up, but it could not be authenticated as being original. Unfortunately, the watch companies kept no records of these fine points we so obsess over in our quest for comprehension.

It would take Elgin from 1946 through 1954 to sell a total of 171,000 of their 571 Grade but by 1946 Hamilton had sold already captured the market with 415,000 of the 992B to that point not to mention all the other movements they derived from it. Without question the Hamilton 992B was a very successful entry and in 1940 Hamilton was probably the only American company that could have introduced a completely new 16-size watch. That smart move would be part of what helped Hamilton to live on and you might say attend funerals for both Waltham and Elgin.

Remember, back then there were what we could call the "American Big Three" in watch companies. When Elgin brought out their 571 in 1946 it was a great watch but not as advanced as competition, the term "too little, too late" comes to mind, they tried to catch up but never quite made it, this was true of their entire product line. From 1946 through 1954 every year Hamilton outsold Elgin and by the mid-1950s Waltham was gone, then by the 1960s only Hamilton had survived, what was once three was by then down to only one American watch company.

The correlations between the watch industry in that era and automobile companies today are ringing in my ears.

Be well my friends,

Lindell

Wink

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Can't argue with you there, Lindell, but one small point....and yet again a 'what if'.....what if WW2 hadn't started a year after the introduction of the 992B? Would Hamilton have produced that many 992B's by 1946 if they hadn't been supplying all the 992B', 3992B's and 4992B's required to keep all transporation, armies and airforces going in a world wide conflict, including their allies?

All a moot point, to be sure, and I agree, the 992B is heads and shoulders above the 571 in fit, finish, and quality, but they also had a pretty good hand dealt to them for the time period their new watch design came out of the gate. (Of course, not saying WW2 was a good 'anything' for anyone, but you get my point.)

The 571 was a post war baby, and really had no chance to ever come close to those numbers shown by Hamilton, but what if they had come out in 1940 instead? Even considering the time they did come out, they still sold an enormous number of watches in the short time they were making them.

Thing was, they didn't, and that's where it will ever remain.

Still, it's fun to wonder about what 'could have been'.

HIGH regards! Mark

IHC Member
posted
Mark-Very good game of "What If" you play, my friend. A lot to speculate on...

Marty

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Keeps things interesting. If you dwell too much on what actually happened, you could get depressed. Frown Wink

All I can say is I DO carry my type 571B with me almost everyday, and it's one of the most accurate and dependable watches in my collection. If you don't have one, you should consider looking for one. They're worth the effort and fun to carry to boot. They work!

HIGH regards! Mark

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Talk all you want you guys.

My Elgin PANSY is still the BEST!!!!!!! hehehehe

Most of the watches I own are ELGIN'S and I love every one of them.

Especially the ones I picked up here on the IHC185 board.

I can't seem to decide which one I like the best though. I have tried and tried, but I love them all.

ELGIN ROCKS DUDE!!!!!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
About Hamilton, as good as their watches were, they also diversified into precision (mechanical dial indicator) Gaging systems and other timing and control systems which I believe were the main reason they survived at all after WWII.

All during the war, Elgin continued to produce the "old" (pic's Grade 478) BWR's mainly due (I am sure) to the fact they had to use existing tooling to get as many movements out as possible. We had Railroads to run, Ships to sail and Battles to win. All these things were interlocked into one chaotic system where the "the best timing allows the least mistakes". That said, this 1943 vintage BWR was simply not a press jewel watch, but it is among the best timekeepers I have. It saw service no doubt about that, and probably up through the 50's and 60's too, giving it three "wars" to serve through.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Excellent point David! Hamilton's success with the U.S. Gov't kept them going strong. The published history of Hamilton I think the title is "Time for America" said that yheir latest annual reports circa 1969-70 disdn't bother mentioning the watch operation. They were prosperous and thus a takeover target, which happened around 1970 when the watch business was sold to the Swiss. Great pix too, David,of the case referred to earlier as the style influenced by the CMStP&P Hiawatha trains. (I'm also a big Art Deco fan).

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I have a question about the 571's. Do they run at 18000 beats? I have one that I picked up real cheap but it needed some repair, anyway I have it running at 18056 & yet it is losing time.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Yes 18000BPH is standard for American pocket watches since 1890s. The Elgin 571 conforms to this standard. Since the hairspring is non-magnetic the 571 is a diesel era railroad watch. You would be amazed at the magnetic field around the traction motors.

posted
Since the price of the 571 appears to taken a dip I decided to see if I could pick up all three variants and I finished up the type-A with J3752XX from the J372001 (run of 6000) that is sandwiched between J374063 (marked BWR) and J375563 (marked BWR) and mine is unmarked and has the earlier wheels and the star with dp logo below it. This one looks like it had a good life about the same as my type-C 571, my type-B 571 is back in working order after some repairs. Nice watches for the collection.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Good for you Claude,

Sounds like you made some good choices!

Thanks for "refreshing" this topic about some under-appreciated watches.

Lindell

Wink

posted
I will post some pictures of all three together, type B is being worked on at the moment it is in a stainless steel case and the other two are in the typical streamline cases, both in very good condition. Sometimes new collectors are not sure about these watches and I tend to collect value watches, ones that don't cost body parts to buy so if any new collectors come along I think it is helpful for them to know what is correct and what to look for.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
I only have early BW Raymonds, so never having looked at a 571 in hand, I have 2 questions.It looks like they have gold center wheels, are they gold, or just polished brass? Also, it looks like a cutout notch in the case center, is that to get a screwdriver to the regulator screw?Looks like maybe they should have reversed the whole reg., to face the screw the other way.Nice watches, I want one!Thanks , Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008