Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Howard RR Chronometer Presentation Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I was going to up date an old post of mine about a Howard RR Chronometer but I can not locate the old post no matter how I searched.

Back a few years ago I bought this pocket watch from a member in the for sale section of this site (that maybe why I can't find the post if those are eventually purged).

The reason I purchased it was that I didn't own a Howard at the time but mostly the inscription where it was presented to a Chief of Police in 1923.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Back when I bought this I researched all I could find at the time about the Chief and I did find a lot of information on him.

He was Will S. Knight of Corsicana, Navarro County, Texas. He was born in 1875 and died in 1936.

He began his Law Enforcement career as a deputy in 1897 in Navarro County. In 1900 he was appointed City Marshall of Blooming Grove Texas.

In 1902 he resigned and returned to Corsicana to as a deputy Sheriff for two years.

In 1904 he became a patrolman on the Corsicana police force & in 1906 was appointed to Chief of Police a position he held for the next 30 years.

Other information I found at the time included a photo of him and census records and other government records.

Well last night I though I would see if I could locate any new information that might have been added to the web after the last few years.

I was able to locate the newspaper article about the Chief being presented the watch for Christmas 1923. The article is posted below and the articles description of the watch & the engravings match it perfectly.

I thought I would post this as a reminder for those of us who are history buffs that you need to every so often go see what else might be out there today that wasn't there yesterday.

Tom

posted
NICE watch and nice provenance, Tom.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Mike, it makes it hard for me to ever think of getting rid of something like that. I always think it strange how families do.

Tom

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Tom,

Great provenance on your Corsicana, Tx. Howard and fascinating to think that one can find info later, as you did, that wasn't there in earlier searches.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Bravo Tom! I have both of my Grandfathers pocket watches, my Father in Laws pocket watch and my Dads wristwatch and I wouldn't take any amount for them. I understood exactly what you were saying Mike

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Tom,

When checking the Find-or-Search feature on our site, I find the following the following topics...

Howard Series 11 Rail Road Chronometer Serial Numbers Database

Howard Series 11 Railroad Chronometer

Hope one of these links were what you were looking for.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5232 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks for looking, it isn't any of those. I think I had added information on the post when the watch was offered for sale. I am guessing those eventually go away since I can no longer find it there. No problem on my end, I should have just started a new topic like I did now instead of adding to a for sale listing.

Thanks
Tom