• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Lancaster Keystone "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I would like to see some other Lancaster Watch Co. movements. They interest me because they were a forerunner to the Hamilton Company.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
I suppose the Aurora Company has as much claim as Lancaster, but neither of them resemble the later Hamiltons at all.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
This seems like pretty humble origins for what the Hamilton Company was to become. I would like to see some other Lancaster watches, though, if someone could post them.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I have always liked the little window they made in those movements, I have yet to own one but am always tempted when I see them for sale.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is a Lancaster "New Era" KWKS that I did rercently and posted

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The movement has the "beginnings" of Hamilton stuff with a "full circle" Pallet Bridge

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
That is a cool watch, Dave!

posted
Back to the roots of hamilton.

Has someone a photo of an "Adams & Perry" Lancaster watch?

Regards Gerald

Patent Bitner-regulator

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
"Now ya Done it", I remembered I had a couple of these "Dustproof" things, so after about an hour of rummage I found 1 and it is trying to run! So, mebbe I can do a pictorial restoration . . .

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
All right, David! Your pictorial restorations are a great teaching tool.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
These are very interesting watches, I think. In the days before paved roads it was probably even more important to make them dust proof.

Steve G.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The SPL of a Steam Locomotive was about 80 - 100 dBa. At 15 PSI, 100 dBa of 20 Hz sound is about a 50% SPL shockwave or about 7.5 PSI. With that "pumping" both the front and back covers of an engineers watch in a Locomotive cab, it is Gonna Get Dirty just by breathing volumes of air and coal dust and other crud through the winding stem.

posted
Hmmmm! I suppose that's why they had to have frequent periodic inspections and service. That makes sense. Thanks.

Steve G.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Well . . Tonight I got this disassembly going of the "Dustproof" Keystone.

When Steve posted his pictures of the "Dustproof", he mused; "I suppose the Aurora Company has as much claim as Lancaster, but neither of them resemble the later Hamiltons at all."

Steve, there are a couple common points with this to the Hamiltons after all. First . . . The Dust Ring is Fully Machined the same as Hamiltons were. This is quite unique to these watches as most dust rings were cheaper stamped and rolled method parts . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The other most obvious "signature" part of the family to become "Hamilton" is the Pallet Bridge (or "cock") which is a full circle ring, quite uniquely Keystone/Lancaster/Hamilton . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Swing out Dust Cap for the Balance wheel has a Cold Solderd in Mica "Window', Cute, Expensive and fundamentally a waste of money except to advertise it is there.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
As the Pallet Staff is Not Jeweled, this is a ten (10) Jewel movement, with 1 Roller Pin, 2 Balance staff Pivots, 2 Balance Staff Caps, two Pallet Stones, and 3 pressed in "Swiss" friction Jewels (mostly for show).

That said, it still has 4 Mean Time Screws!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Oh, I found a couple other things left inside the movement by the last service person. Eek Maybe they were reassembling it during lunch time.

I expect to report the reassembly later this week, but have no plans to re-use these two "parts". Cool

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Dave,

That is too funny - those "additional" items! Smile

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
This is a fascinating analysis of the general, and personal character of this watch. I think you should publish a weekly column like this and take a different watch apart each week. It could be like the Tappit Brothers on the radio!

Steve G.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Now comes the "Put Together" part . . .

Firstly, more odd notes, a three-piece "SCREW-TOGETHER" Pallet Fork!(first one for me that actually used a screw!)

Then there is the strange Balance Cock Regulator that is actually "just like the pictures" in the Patent! Ugly and complicated!

In re-assembly, the wheel train turns out to actually be a 16 size. About the only "big part" is the motor.

Oddly in this watch it is safer to place and assemble the Pallet Fork/Bridge set before putting down the top plate!

All in all, I would bet that there were many watch makers who charge a premium cleaning fee for the Keystone "dustless! It takes about twice the time as "normal".

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
On the "wind and set side" it is completely different from any other I have seen, and easier to reassemble. It uses a very unique "Teeter-Totter" rocking bar mounted transfer wheel to engage the time setting.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It goes together very nicely in the (what looks to be) original "Daisy" Hunter Case

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Don't ask me how, but two years ago, I got this (somewhere Confused) for $38.00.

A swell deal after a couple hours work to clean it up and get it running.

posted
What a beautiful watch! I'd bet that was the highest grade they made. What do you think?

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Dave, what turns out to be a super looking watch....As they say....

From out of the ashes comes....

Great job on another restoration piece....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Steve and Jerry, I agree, it turned out beautifully and will remain with my personal "stash" as representative of that phase of watch evolution. A watch that had all the disadvantages of an early full plate movement including full disassembly to replace the mainspring. Plus added design features that made the "3/4 plate" design laborious and hazardous to service.
That must explain the short life of this particular watch movement.

All that said, it keeps darn good time and is reeeeeel purdy!