Internet Horology Club 185
Lancaster Keystone

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/23510695

April 04, 2009, 18:55
Steve Gossard
Lancaster Keystone
I would like to see some other Lancaster Watch Co. movements. They interest me because they were a forerunner to the Hamilton Company.

April 04, 2009, 18:58
Steve Gossard
I suppose the Aurora Company has as much claim as Lancaster, but neither of them resemble the later Hamiltons at all.

April 04, 2009, 19:01
Steve Gossard
This seems like pretty humble origins for what the Hamilton Company was to become. I would like to see some other Lancaster watches, though, if someone could post them.

April 04, 2009, 19:02
Tom Brown
I have always liked the little window they made in those movements, I have yet to own one but am always tempted when I see them for sale.

Tom
April 04, 2009, 20:06
David Abbe
This is a Lancaster "New Era" KWKS that I did rercently and posted

April 04, 2009, 20:08
David Abbe
The movement has the "beginnings" of Hamilton stuff with a "full circle" Pallet Bridge

April 05, 2009, 09:29
Steve Gossard
That is a cool watch, Dave!
April 05, 2009, 16:59
Gerald Zimmermann
Back to the roots of hamilton.

Has someone a photo of an "Adams & Perry" Lancaster watch?

Regards Gerald

Patent Bitner-regulator

April 06, 2009, 20:23
David Abbe
"Now ya Done it", I remembered I had a couple of these "Dustproof" things, so after about an hour of rummage I found 1 and it is trying to run! So, mebbe I can do a pictorial restoration . . .

April 06, 2009, 21:23
Edward Kitner
All right, David! Your pictorial restorations are a great teaching tool.
April 06, 2009, 22:16
Steve Gossard
These are very interesting watches, I think. In the days before paved roads it was probably even more important to make them dust proof.

Steve G.
April 07, 2009, 14:27
David Abbe
The SPL of a Steam Locomotive was about 80 - 100 dBa. At 15 PSI, 100 dBa of 20 Hz sound is about a 50% SPL shockwave or about 7.5 PSI. With that "pumping" both the front and back covers of an engineers watch in a Locomotive cab, it is Gonna Get Dirty just by breathing volumes of air and coal dust and other crud through the winding stem.

April 08, 2009, 07:08
Steve Gossard
Hmmmm! I suppose that's why they had to have frequent periodic inspections and service. That makes sense. Thanks.

Steve G.
April 08, 2009, 23:52
David Abbe
Well . . Tonight I got this disassembly going of the "Dustproof" Keystone.

When Steve posted his pictures of the "Dustproof", he mused; "I suppose the Aurora Company has as much claim as Lancaster, but neither of them resemble the later Hamiltons at all."

Steve, there are a couple common points with this to the Hamiltons after all. First . . . The Dust Ring is Fully Machined the same as Hamiltons were. This is quite unique to these watches as most dust rings were cheaper stamped and rolled method parts . . .

April 08, 2009, 23:55
David Abbe
The other most obvious "signature" part of the family to become "Hamilton" is the Pallet Bridge (or "cock") which is a full circle ring, quite uniquely Keystone/Lancaster/Hamilton . . .

April 08, 2009, 23:57
David Abbe
Swing out Dust Cap for the Balance wheel has a Cold Solderd in Mica "Window', Cute, Expensive and fundamentally a waste of money except to advertise it is there.

April 09, 2009, 00:05
David Abbe
As the Pallet Staff is Not Jeweled, this is a ten (10) Jewel movement, with 1 Roller Pin, 2 Balance staff Pivots, 2 Balance Staff Caps, two Pallet Stones, and 3 pressed in "Swiss" friction Jewels (mostly for show).

That said, it still has 4 Mean Time Screws!

April 09, 2009, 00:09
David Abbe
Oh, I found a couple other things left inside the movement by the last service person. Eek Maybe they were reassembling it during lunch time.

I expect to report the reassembly later this week, but have no plans to re-use these two "parts". Cool

April 09, 2009, 05:45
Dr. Debbie Irvine

Dave,

That is too funny - those "additional" items! Smile

Debbie

Smile

April 09, 2009, 09:08
Steve Gossard
This is a fascinating analysis of the general, and personal character of this watch. I think you should publish a weekly column like this and take a different watch apart each week. It could be like the Tappit Brothers on the radio!

Steve G.
April 12, 2009, 18:48
David Abbe
Now comes the "Put Together" part . . .

Firstly, more odd notes, a three-piece "SCREW-TOGETHER" Pallet Fork!(first one for me that actually used a screw!)

Then there is the strange Balance Cock Regulator that is actually "just like the pictures" in the Patent! Ugly and complicated!

In re-assembly, the wheel train turns out to actually be a 16 size. About the only "big part" is the motor.

Oddly in this watch it is safer to place and assemble the Pallet Fork/Bridge set before putting down the top plate!

All in all, I would bet that there were many watch makers who charge a premium cleaning fee for the Keystone "dustless! It takes about twice the time as "normal".

April 12, 2009, 18:51
David Abbe
On the "wind and set side" it is completely different from any other I have seen, and easier to reassemble. It uses a very unique "Teeter-Totter" rocking bar mounted transfer wheel to engage the time setting.

April 12, 2009, 18:53
David Abbe
It goes together very nicely in the (what looks to be) original "Daisy" Hunter Case

April 12, 2009, 18:55
David Abbe
Don't ask me how, but two years ago, I got this (somewhere Confused) for $38.00.

A swell deal after a couple hours work to clean it up and get it running.

April 13, 2009, 12:38
Steve Gossard
What a beautiful watch! I'd bet that was the highest grade they made. What do you think?
April 13, 2009, 12:58
Jerry King
Dave, what turns out to be a super looking watch....As they say....

From out of the ashes comes....

Great job on another restoration piece....

Regards,
Jerry
April 13, 2009, 14:40
David Abbe
Steve and Jerry, I agree, it turned out beautifully and will remain with my personal "stash" as representative of that phase of watch evolution. A watch that had all the disadvantages of an early full plate movement including full disassembly to replace the mainspring. Plus added design features that made the "3/4 plate" design laborious and hazardous to service.
That must explain the short life of this particular watch movement.

All that said, it keeps darn good time and is reeeeeel purdy!