WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

McClintock clock Second hand does not turn consistently "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
My McClintock clock works great except the second hand won't turn consistently.
This picture shows the second hand gear on top (still attached to the second hand) and the hour hand below.
I can see that the gear shows a wear pattern circle that indicates that the 3 pronged retainer has been turning against.
I've never had one of these apart and don't know how to get this one apart.

Can someone advise me how to proceed?
Should the retainer and the gear be locked together or should they turn?
How do I take it apart to clean it?

Thanks,

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Here's another picture showing both sides.
The large flat gear turns somewhat freely on the shaft. (And I don't think it should?)
How can I tighten it up?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Didn't get an answer here, so I experimented a little.

I wrapped one turn of dental floss under the 3 prong retainer to tighten it up. (For anyone who might experience the same problem.) I'm sure this is not a proper repair, but it works! Smile

Clock now working fine and keeping good time. Not bad for a 1946 clock!

Dave Turner

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Ingenuity Big Grin will never let you down.

What you did is along the line of tightening the cannon pinion on a pocket watch by winding a human hair in the same manner as you used the dental floss. That was often done in repairing watches back when getting it operational counted most. You performed a simple repair that simply works.

Congratulations on repairing a good looking clock.

What is the overall diameter?

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Don,
She's still running strong on the wall above the stove.
It's a 5 1/2" dial - 1946 McClintock. I picked it up out of a dumpster probably 20 years ago.
I think it's the same company that made the old clocks like you used to see in front of banks, depots, etc.

http://www.chapter124.org/acti...ck_clock_restore.pdf

Dave Turner

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Saving interesting items is what defines this hobby.

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005