WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  All Wristwatches Discussion Forum    Accutron 218 - Second hand sweeps but minute and hour hand do not move
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Accutron 218 - Second hand sweeps but minute and hour hand do not move "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a 218 that the minute hand and hour hand do not move. When setting the watch the date and the hands appear to move fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Clint

Posts: 4 | Location: Plano, Texas in the USA | Registered: March 11, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
My first guess would be slipping center wheel assy.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
I have a 219 with the same problem, what is involved in repairing it ? is it worth it ?

John

Posts: 16 | Location: Minerva, Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

It is a reasonably easy repair and is definitely worth doing or having done. Consider the age of these watches and how long it may have been since they were last serviced. Tuning-Fork Accutrons are high quality jeweled movements that are an important part of Horological and American History.

Check this... "Find-Or-Search" for "Accutron"

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
There are a few things you can do to the cannon pinion to extend the life for a litle while longer before having to find another part.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
I live in ohio and the local jewlry store that sells Accutrons wont work on it. With all I have heard about watch makers not knowing how to fi Accutrons, How do I find someone that has the knowledge to do this work ?

John

Posts: 16 | Location: Minerva, Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi John,

Most jewelry stores simply take in work and pass it on to someone they know who does the work, as with the jewelry repairs etc a tiny percentage have a real trained watchmaker anymore, I have two store of the better stores I do work for in town and I can get anything from simple crown , quartz watches to fix, crystal, stem replacement to complicated wrist watches & pocket watches presented to you which is fun to keep hand in all these types and very profitable work, the jewelers simple marks up the job often 100% or more for handling it work and dont forget sales tax to often the cost of shipping to a watchmaker out of state Wink Big Grin Smile, so you always need to find the guy doing the job if possible. here is a link Scott was taking a few of these on, I just don’t like them myself so avoid them, you problem should be a easy repair.

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Hi Everyone,
This is a very common problem with Accutrons.

Could be a blockage on the dial side gear train.

Could be that someone removed the hour and minute hand and lifted the cannon pinion and hour wheel out of the train. Then you would only need to take off the dial and push the hour wheel and cannon pinion back down. Then put a dial washer on if there isn't one. Always pull the stem out when messing with the hands.

If the second hand is still going around, you know that the index wheel,second wheel, and third wheel are moving. If you take a good look and can see that the fourth wheel is moving too, then you know that the problem is under the dial or with the arbor or pinion that joins the fourth wheel to the dial side wheels.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
here is a picture of the trouble maker Smileyou have to remove way to much stuff to get to it, tighten, rebuild it all test and find you didnt tighten enough Roll Eyes or to much Mad then go back in and do it all again , or worse still you tighten it and seems fine then a few weeks later it starts slipping again on the customer and you have the embarrassment of a return,The date models are even more twitchy my friend holds them for a month to make sure. They can run great for a few weeks then stop! some of the reasons I avoid them Smile