Tools
Reply to Post

Accutron 214 and 218 Index Wheel Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know if a 214 index wheel and a 218 index wheel are interchangeable? I can't find my book and can't remember. Thanks.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Scott,

I have a NOS 214 index wheel here, email me if of use I was going to eBay it.
After doing a training course on Accutrons I decided not to work on these just don’t like them at all so had a few parts I have been selling off.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the offer, but I have an index wheel coming. The problem is is that the marking on the package is worn off and doesn't say if it is 214 or 218. I would think that they are probably interchangeable, but I am not sure. I'll figure it out, but if anyone knows for sure, please let me know.

I felt the same way about Accutrons, but have reconsidered. I don't have parts in stock right now, but consider that there can only be so many things wrong with a broken Accutron. Bad coil, demagnetized fork, incorrectly adjusted pawl and index or a bad index wheel, or dead battery are the common problems. It only takes one issue to stop the watch. That means that if only one part is bad, you have all those other good parts to work with. That means that there are tons of good parts out there for many more years of Accutron servicing.

They really aren't so bad to work on.

I have not found the same situation with Hamilton Electrics. If you get a bad contact, good luck trying to find parts.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Scott,

There not to bad to work on, they have a lot of little tricks to set up and get working correctly same as any mechanical watch, I simply took a dislike to them I still take the odd one in but only when I really have to get a bunch of good watches with it or regular customers, my jewelers accounts I tell them to send off elsewhere, and basically the only parts you can get are mostly from other watches. A lot of watchmakers have with declining numbers (of watchmakers & new parts) stopped working on them, however those few left are in demand one I know one caps off at 6 month backlog! A good friend an fellow watchmakers charges a flat rate of $300 + parts he says that’s just about makes it worth while and always says to keep them a month to six weeks to test due to date advance issues that are common. There is also a huge myth about the cells and many hours of discussions to be found they actually now sell a special once with a voltage regulator built in I have a list somewhere of which moderd cell to use and works fine will see if I can find it. Check your email just sent you a couple of books that should be of interest give me a call anytime any questions, as for the 500 & 505, I have one good 505 parts watch left with good balance complete & dial, I found they where a bit more fun to work on interesting cross between a mechanical and first electric concepts.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
I seem to recall different tooth counts between 214 & 218.

Posts: 52 | Location: Richland, Washington USA | Registered: April 19, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I got some more information on the index wheel
214 the pinion is on the bottom.
218 the pinion is on the top.

They both have 300 teeth

On the 214, look at the round disc in the center part of the wheel where the arms of the wheel start. The outside diameter of the pinion will be almost to the edge of that disk.

On the 218 the pinion is not nearly as close to the edge in fact it is about 2/3 of the way to that edge.

The Radius of the 214 index wheel is .0475 inch.
Do not try to measure this with any mechanical device you will destroy it Eek!(maybe with a microscope and a optical gauge)not sure of the radius of the 218 index wheel.

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Thanks everyone for all the help. Chris, you know your stuff and thanks again.
Scott