Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Which wristwatch did you wear today? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
This is a fun watch to wear. I have a fondness for chronographs.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
That is a neat and different dial on the Wakmann. This is a nice small watch that I like to wear. Great time keeper and presentable too.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
posted
Today I wore my Girard Perregaux 18k rose gold vintage 1945.

Posts: 1 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: February 23, 2008
posted
Today I'm wearing my trusty Accutron Spaceview 214 1966 - M6(well not really a Spaceview - I believe it was converted by a jeweler or the back was replaced but you have to take the back off too know - works great) in gold plate that I wear most of the time.
Clint Kleen

Posts: 4 | Location: Plano, Texas in the USA | Registered: March 11, 2008
posted
today, well Yesterday now, I wore this little pink gold number

Posts: 106 | Location: Widnes, United Kingdom | Registered: April 02, 2008
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
1958 Rolex Air-King, cal. 1530.

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
posted
Today, I have been mostly wearing:-

Intrestingly (or not) the 17 Jewel movmentis marked with Omega(ish) symbol for 1940, but the strap, which looks orginal:-

IHC Member 302
posted
The watch I wore today is (I believe) a Hamilton “Sectometer”. It was a yard sale find that took a lot of work to restore. It’s a bit of a marriage as I had to combine several watch movements to get this one. The movement is a 987S which has a hack function, in other words it stops when the crown is pulled out for setting. The original movement was missing the gear that drives the second hand. This gear sits on top of the movement and is driven by an extra long shaft from the forth wheel. After finding another movement and replacing the gear, the watch would run for well for short periods and then stop. After many long hours I finally realized the top of the shaft of the fourth wheel was bent giving the gear a slight bit of runout. After straitening the shaft the watch ran great. The dial as found was in horrible condition, it was refinished at International Dial.

One problem remained; the watch did not come with a sweep second hand. After all the work I did to get the watch running I despaired at the prospect of finding an original second hand. I just happened to have a red second hand from an old Elgin that was about the correct size. In a fit of impropriety I coldheartedly substituted the red second hand. I'm glad I did it. I actually like the result and wear this watch rather often. I hope the red second hand doesn’t offend the other Hamilton aficionados too much.

Posts: 62 | Location: Cochranville, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Today I have been mostly wearing this 'cranberry' coloured dial (shock horror!) tank, between the wars, Bulova

I just love that font on the numbers! Razz and the way the dial shimmers purple in the sunlight.

I'm just going off to pick my mum up from the airport, and I've changed watches to this monster!

I think modern watches are too big, or it could be my little girly wrists I suppose...

posted
Omega Seamaster Electric Blue Smile

John F. Murray

Posts: 48 | Location: Palm Beach, Florida in the USA | Registered: April 28, 2008
posted
Does anyone know anthing about this watch? I think it is from the 1930s.
The case has Star Watch Case engraved on it and the face of the watch has Pontain above the dial.
Thank you,
Connie

Posts: 2 | Location: Mission Viejo, California in the USA | Registered: May 18, 2008
posted
Close up of the face.

Posts: 2 | Location: Mission Viejo, California in the USA | Registered: May 18, 2008
Watchmaker
Picture of Gene Furry
posted
Wearing this one today. I'll bet Lindell can tell us what's not quite right about this watch from a collecting perspective.

Gene

Posts: 54 | Location: Southeastern Texas in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Never saw a watch like Connie's but it sure is great looking! Gene's Accutron, the hands? Eek And here's what I wore today to remind me when to take my blood pressure medication!

All Russian-Made Poljot looks cool and is a super runner...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Watchmaker
Picture of Gene Furry
posted
Lindell,

Yep, I knew you'd spot it. They're from the later model Spaceview, but it so happens I like them better. Since I kind of consider this one mine to keep, I keep it looking the way I prefer.

Gene

Posts: 54 | Location: Southeastern Texas in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
posted
Gene,

I have never owned a Spaceview... but I should!

How old is his Poljot, BTW? New, I think....

Regards,

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005
Picture of Michelle Kaser
posted
I wore my cheap but reliable g-shock. I can throw that watch against the wall and it will still work perfectly!

I have a watch with the co. name of: Robot Watch Co. It was produced between 1888-1927; TXU on balance cock. I have read and own 100+ books on I.D. and price guides as well as learning books. I cannot find it. Please help!

Michelle

mkaser

Posts: 4 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: May 16, 2008
Watchmaker
Picture of Gene Furry
posted
Rick,

I agree. I think the Poljot is pretty new. Nice looking watch to wear while sipping vodka!

Gene

IHC President
Life Member
posted

My Poljot is from the late 1990s and it piqued my interest because it was made in the "First Moscow Watch Factory" which was set up by former Hampden employees after the 1928 move to Moscow from Canton. The fact is may have been produced using Hampden tooling or at the very least shares that colorful "Springfield to Moscow" history meant I just had to have it! It's an interesting and very accurate timekeeper.

Back on the topic, today I'm wearing my stainless Seiko Perpetual Calendar, a modern quartz watch I like for its simplicity of design along with the fact both the time and date are always correct even if the watch has been sitting unused for a period of time. Even the "quick-set" date watches can be a problem if you don't remember that old... "Thirty days has September, April, June and November" ...rhyme and re-set the date occasionally. In fact this one even knows what to do at the end of February!

Seiko's "Perpetual Calendar" adjusts the date correctly...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Watchmaker
Picture of Gene Furry
posted
Lindell,

That's a nice looking Seiko. I'm with you. I like simplicity, especially in the dial layout of a watch. Remember the Seiko "5" series of watches? They are an automatic watch equipped with what is a pretty decent mechanical. They are still available new today, but one has to snag one from an overseas dealer. Many of them are less than $200.00, and most of the designs somewhat resemble the elegant/simple styling of the above Seiko.

Gene

Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
“The Citizen”, made by Citizen, is the flagship of their quartz line, and only available to the Japanese market. It is the most accurate non-radio receiver watch in production. It has an accuracy rating of +- 5 seconds per year. It is a thermal compensated A660 movement. This watch replaced my radio signal regulator since I was unable to receive the signal in Hawaii.

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Beautiful example Matt, amazing accuracy too!

Today I wore one that is special to me, it is the watch that convinced me that I should become a collector. This is also the first quality watch I ever owned, solid-gold case and jeweled movement add to its appeal, but the design is what sold me forty years ago and brings an approving smile even today. I was very young and it wasn't always easy making those time payments at that point in my life but I'm glad I did.

Bulova 218 Accutron, still charming me after 40 years...