Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Which wristwatch did you wear today? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Here is the watch with which I went to work this morning: a 1931 Illinois Beau Monde (21J movement) in white gf. That's the original dial. This was one of the many wonderful purchases I've made from Bryan Girouard over the past couple of years.

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Another view of the Beau Monde.

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
WOW Big Grin

I wonder what he wears to the Cubs Game? Confused

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Bill, would you believe I've never been to a Cubs game? To a Sox game, once, though.

Here's one of my newer acquisitions, worn today: a ca.1930 Longines tank in yellow gf (marked 10K rolled gold plate on the reverse of the case). Bryan G. told me he believes this case is pretty much identical in shape to that used for the contemporaneous Hamilton Andrews. The dial appears to be original, with only slight wear to the luminous.

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Here's another view.

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
And the movement. It has the same occasional "stuttering" of the seconds hand that the rectangular Hamilton 401 apparently engenders (I am not yet privileged to own one of those).

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Okay, for doing Saturday chores I need to wear something different...This is a Canterbury Swiss-made military style watch which I bought from a dealer in the UK. It's a real work-horse and keeps very accurate time. I just put on it this new Hirsch Liberty strap.

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Here's another view. I assume it is from the late '40s or '50s. There is wear to the SS case, but it's not too noticeble without the magnification of these photos. It was my second vintage watch purchase, back in 1999 or so. I've always had a soft spot for it!

posted
Wore this one today. 14K Solid Gold Mido Bumper Automatic. Love the dial on this one. Plain and simple.

Posts: 311 | Location: Near Youngstown, Ohio USA | Registered: January 11, 2006
posted
Back of case.

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Adam, that's a beautiful Mido. I had been considering purchasing a Multifort in recent months...

Here is the one I have on today -- the early '90s Piping Rock reissue with the reproduction of the 1928 Yankees engraving on the back of the case. This one is the 17J manual wind version, which is much less common than those with the quartz movement.

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Here's the engraving. It's too bad these were made with plated base metal case and lugs; I've heard from Rene Rondeau that there have been some issues with wear of the plating material. I will be treating this gingerly!

posted
A $20.00 Timex with Twist-o-flex band.

Posts: 160 | Location: Hartville, Ohio in the USA | Registered: August 18, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Nice looking watches in this thread. I usually wear my good old faithful Seiko. I might wear a watch out of a collection I buy to resell just for something different, like this one I wore today but will be up on the auction block soon.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Okay, here's today's watch. I bought this new in October, 2004 in Lugano (Switzerland), just over the border from Lake Como. The same model in Como and Milan had the days in Italian, interestingly. I don't believe Tudors are sold directly in the USA, but I have subsequently found European dealers who will ship to the States. This is a pretty uncommon model, but I think it has been in production off and on for decades.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Adam Interesting dial with the roman numerals at the top half and arabic on the bottom. Never seen one like that.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Robert, that's the Arabic-Roman numeral ("California") dial originally popularized by Rolex in the '30s, and continued officially now (and that infrequently) only by Tudor. Of course one sees many, many more redials in this style (on both Tudor and Rolex watches, particularly bubblebacks) than original dials.

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Very cool Cool watch Adam. Thanks for showing!

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
I wore this great 19 jewel Elgin that I will be putting on eBay tonight

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Movement

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Back
This one is like it just came from new old stock I got it at a yard sale on Sunday all it needed was a cleaning and a band. I could not live with the expantion band that was on it even though it is like new.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

posted
Adam, Rich, Rob,

Nice Watches! I wore this Gruen today. Very unusual. Most of the spots in the pic are from glare but it is just gold plated with a stainless back, so there is some minor wear.

Adam