Tools
Reply to Post

DUDLEY MASONIC MODEL 2 RESTORATION "Click" to Login or Register

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Dudley Masonic Model 2 Restoration

I recently got this basket case. I will put the full restoration in the Time on My Hands area as I go through the process.

First I have to find out a few things. I know Dudley Models 2 and 3 used Hamilton parts. For this project I need a complete balance and an escape wheel. Can anyone tell me what 12 size Hamilton this was based on? I am thinking a model 910. If this is the case are the balances the same and did they use the same escape wheel.
When you look at the pictures you will see why I am asking.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
picture 2

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
picture 3

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
picture 4

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
picture 5

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
It would seem I have answered my own question. All the measurements match up to a 910. I have disassembled the watch and now know I need a pallet fork and banking pins as well. This will be a project. I first have to find a good 910 parts watch. I will ask Lin to transfer this to the Time On My Hands topics.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Rich,

Was the corrosion caused by moisture intrusion or a plastic crystal?

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Hi John,
We are talking major rust it could only have been moisture. I have the movement appart and soaking in oil. It will be awhile before I know much more.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
A quick update. I now have the major grudge off the movement. I have been able to save the second, third and forth wheels. I am happy about that. I soaked the entire movement in Break Free. The next step was a quick clean. Using a fiberglass pencil I worked the remaining rust of the gear train components. Cleaned the parts and did a quick assembly to make sure every thing free. So far so good!
The other area I have concentrated on is the setting and winding mechanism. That area also had a lot of rusted components. I have that working smoothly now also. In the attached pictures I show the train assembled and the dial side of the watch. I also show a picture of the missing banking pin. Does anybody know what model Hamilton this banking pin comes from? I am now thinking 912 however I don’t have any Hamilton pocket watch books that show this area. The other components I still need are a complete balance, pallet fork and escape wheel. These parts I could not save.
It appears I will be able to save all the screws with the exception of the dial screws. They are toast.
While I am looking for a donor watch for parts I will go back and polish the pivots on the gear train. Disassemble the dial plate and boil out the dial screws. (I got lucky hear again they were not screwed down tight. Thus the dial came off easily). I will also polish the plate so that it looks as good as possible.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
picture 2

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
picture 3

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
I found another 910 parts movement and now have the escape wheel and pallet fork. Still looking for the banking pin and a complete balance. Lots more work to do but here it is so far. I think I will be able to make this one live again.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Picture of Jeffery Hann
posted
Rich, I wish I could find a Basket case, this is one watch that I really would like to have but is out of my price range, I am a Master Mason Greentown Lodge #341, Greentown Indiana, I will be intrested when this is done.

Jeffery

Posts: 192 | Location: Crawfordsville, Indiana U.S.A. | Registered: January 18, 2004
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Jeffery,
Thank you for looking and commenting. I have not had time to do anything further on the watch. At this point I think it will be sometime in Jan. Before I can get back to the project.
A special thanks to Jim Cope. Jim has sent me a complete balance for the project. I still have the banking pin to figure out. Some times I wonder why I take these type of things on.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Over the past few months I have gotten to know Frank Kusumoto. I have not had time to go futher on this project and just do not know when I will, so Frank has agreed to give it a go.I have sent the watch to him. We will post more as things progress. He has some ideas I did not think of and considerably more pocket watch material.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
The Dudley Masonic is running! Now onto the restoration work....

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Frank,
It is great to see it running
Rich

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Great work guys!

If you need to get a watch running again, just send it West of the Mississippi! Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
John,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Frank has done a great job so far. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the resoration. Big Grin Mad Wink

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Well Rich & Frank.

Well done!

A "Masterful" project!

What would a fully restored masonic "Dudley" likely fetch?

Will it eventually be for sale?

Will keep in touch with much interest.

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Roy,

I can't read Rich's mind but I don't think he's going to sell this one. Big Grin

The current low "book" on this is $2k but I don't think you can pick one up that is running for that price.

With a sound gear train and escapement/balance, now the fun begins. I really love the detailing work on a challenging piece like this and per Rich's suggestion I'll post pictures of incremental changes and explain what's been done.

Best regards,

Frank "407" Kusumoto

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Roy,
I think Dudley #2s are fetching in the $3000.00 range. Maybe one of the pocket watch guys can shed more light on value. I have no idea what this one will be worth when it is completed. I do not plan to sell it at any price. John Duvall and I did a similer thing a while ago with a 6 size Elgin PW converted to a wrist watch. I did the case and John did the movement. We called it a North coast West coast project and it is still probably in this Time on My hands thread. I still wear the Elgin often and will make use of the Dudley when it is completed.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Frank.
Look forward to seeing pictures and how the "work" is going!

Rich.
Do'nt blame you, I would not sell anyway!

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
This "Dudley" is one of approximately 4000. These produced in Lancester PA.

Creator William Wallace Dudley a Mason created the "Dudley" for Masons between 1922 through to 1925.

Three types were produce "1", "2" & "3".

Of the 4,000 produced, 2,600 were Masonic!

These are obviously very rare and most collectable.

Rich is a very lucky man!

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

posted
Hello Roy,
I know little of the non-masonic variety. Could you elaborate?

I have seen a lady's rectangular
model in a book by C.Clarke Julias(my apologies if I misspelled his name).
A mason/watch collector pal of mine has had several of these over the years and has offerred them to me for 18oo-2ooo. I do have a Dudley guarantee certificate for a pretty low number. It's around 6 or700. It'd be be great to find out if the watch is existing somewhere.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Hello Cort.

I must admit I am also a little in the dark regarding the "non Masonic" element of the "Dudley" brand.

I can only "read" into the history and come to the conclusion that the pocket watch interest was waning (1920's) this due to the wrist watch explosion and the company then produced "ordinary" PW (movements) to try and "lift" sales! As explained this is my conclusion if anyone has any other idea, or indeed knowledge, kindly advise.

The "Dudley" is truly a glorious work of "Masonic" art.

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
I decided to start tackling the screws first. They are not the standard Hamilton screws that the gear train is based on. After some searching I found perfect matches for the barrel bridge screws. Unfortunately they were very rough and took some time to polish. Doing the "flat finish" polish is a demanding job and I'm not completely happy with the results but they turned out good. The screw on the top left is what the replacement screw looked like and the others are the screws after polishing.

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Next job is blueing the screws. I put the old original screws in the picture for some contrast. The original ones are the brown rusty ones on the right. Smile

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Frank, I bow to your expertise.

I read about these process's and WOW.

Excellent.

Look forward to the next pictures / instalment!

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
And then back goes on the barrel bridge with the nice new blued screws. Certainly does make a difference to my eyes. Now to find some matching plate screws. Roll Eyes

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
As I said when we talked on the phone I think they look great. It just keeps getting better
Thanks Frank

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
The watch is looking a bit better today, although a little scattered. Big Grin

IHC Life Member
South-Bend