Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

CANADIAN Private-Label Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1856
posted
The missing link? From the tenth Province. It fronts a 15J Omega so probably doesn't meet the RR standards although I haven't been able to find anything on Newfoundland RR standards prior to 1948. The Newfie Bullet operated for over 60 years prior to becoming part of CN. Note the term Newfie Bullet was from WW2 when it transported US troops across the Island.

IHC Member 1856
posted
R H Trapnell, Water Street in St. John's. Thirties, maybe?

IHC Member 1856
posted
RH Trapnell in 2004, its gone now I think. In the above pic its almost obscured on the far right.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Geary:

That is the first example of a private label from Newfoundland that I have seen, Newfoundland (now called Newfoundland and Labrador) joined Canadian Confederation. 65 years ago today, and 20 days before my birthday on April 20th. I've been searching trying to find some old rulebooks or timetables from the Newfoundland Railway that might shed some light on the railway timekeeping. They used before CN took over.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Geary:

Here are some pages from my timetable collection showing Winnipeg Terminal Division from April 1947, it shows Fort Rouge, and some of the passenger trains that were running in that era

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
More passenger trains. I count 23 a day

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Winnipeg Terminal Division Timetable, April 27, 1947, Eastward Trains. Another 23, for 46 trains a day, , and that's just CN, with the CPR, the number of trains must have been phenomenal. Compared today with Via Rail running their transcontinental three times a week.

IHC Member 1856
posted
The names of many of those stations are are still being used on the city bus lines. I never knew Transcona was a yard but it looks like the biggest in the city.
If you google Rolly Martin Country you will find some of the timetables for the NL railway, I can't reduce them enough to get them on here.
There are some good pics of snow removal operations and equipment. Looks kind of like you in April 75.

IHC Member 1856
posted
Could it be that since the NL railroad was built to British colonial standards ( 42 inch) and that NL was in and out of British guidance throughout the period 1891-1948 that it adopted British standards?
Britain had adopted GMT for the railroads by 1850 but I haven't found anything on approved watches.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Geary:

It stands to reason that Newfoundland would adopt the British narrow gauge system for its railway, they definitely had close ties with the British Commonwealth, looking at their postage stamps. I see ones for three pence, and ones of Queen Victoria, King Edward VII, Queen Mary, Prince of Wales, Prince George, King George and Queen Mary, King George V, and King George VI. here is a stamp of a Express crossing Newfoundland 1929-1931

Larry

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
American Waltham 16 size, 17 jewel, pendant set, private-label double sunk Roman numeral 24-hour dial marked " Patenaude, Bros. Nelson, BC"

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Dial

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Serial No. 198002154 Manufactured 1915.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Movement close up

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Case back

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Keystone Victory 10K Rolled Plate screw back and bezel case.

IHC Life Member
posted
Hamilton 924 Serial #188320 from 1902.
R.E. Plaxton, Moose Jaw, in coin silver case.

IHC Life Member
posted
Plaxton's Special

IHC Life Member
posted
Seconds bit was soldered in wrong, 50 at the top!
The red 18 is under the glaze, so it was made that way.
I wonder if he got that one free?

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
On Page 9 of this thread is my Rockford 18 size, 17 jewel, Grade 935, private-label single sunk 24-hour dial marked "R.E. Plaxton Watchmaker and Jeweler Moose Jaw, N.W.T." (North West Territories) predating 1905, when Saskatchewan became a province. Serial No. 538454, manufactured 1899. Movement marked "Plaxton's Special"

Steve I see that your Hamilton, private-label Serial No. 188320 and it's predecessor 188319 were finished March 12, 1902, and both were sold March 26, 1902 to the Montréal Watch Case Company of Montréal, Québec , so it predates Saskatchewan when Moose Jaw was still in the North West Territories.

Larry

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Rockford 18 size, 17 jewel, private-label single sunk Arabic dial marked "Jacob Fleischman, Vancouver & Revelstoke, B.C."

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Dial