CANADIAN Private-Label Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
And a dial close-up.

Buddy who grew up in Kamsack told me Canora SK took it's name from CAnadian NOrthern RAilway.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Great-looking Canadian Northern Special South Bend Lorne and interesting footnote about the railway naming Canora, Saskatchewan on the line to Kamsack, I have posted a private-label from a jeweler WH McIntyre, who had stores in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba and Kamsack, Saskatchewan it is on page 2 of this thread. Another important CPR divisional point is Kenora, Ontario that I have posted some private-labels from it is located East of Winnipeg, Manitoba just inside the Ontario border in the Keewatin district, it was originally called "Rat Portage" what was changed to represent Ke ewatin, no rthern, ra t portage.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
A photo of the Business people of Hamiota, Manitoba 1908 showing RE Hunter in the top right corner above 1908.

posted
I have a couple of Canadian private label watches. This dial is signed A.C. MacNicol of Port Arthur. Ont.

posted
With an Omega movement.

posted
This one is signed Harwood Bros, Pembroke. Ont.

posted
This one also has an Omega movement.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Peter:

Interesting Regina (Omega) Canadian private label pocket watches, the Harwood Brothers is interesting. I am aware of one other example of a Canadian private-label. I wonder if he was one of the brothers, maybe Tom Brown could add some more light on this topic with his research talents.

Elgin 18 size, Serial No. 10737050 Manufactured 1903 movement private-label single sunk dial marked PJ Harwood, Jeweler Portage La Prairie, Man. Movement marked Harwood's Special I also have a photo of his newer store in Calgary, Alberta, circa 1905, where he is listed as a CPR watch inspector.

Larry

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
E.F.Davis Tillsonburg Commercial Standard

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
One the Harwood Brothers in Pembroke. I found there was a Edward Harwood in the 1891 census for there that is listed as a jeweler & watchmaker.

In 1901 he is still listed as a jeweler & one of his son's Henry, who was born about 1878 is also listed as a jeweler.

He had a 2nd son, George, born about 1885. In 1901 he is only 15 & listed as a student. It might be possible he also became a jeweler & was part of the Harwood Brothers but I have yet to find them after 1901.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Thank you Tom:

Great information about the Harwood Brothers, I know that Watson brothers had their jewelry store in downtown Calgary around the turn of the 20th century. From the private labels I have found from them, it looks like P Harwood took over their location later around World War I.

Larry

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Photos of my private-label from London, Ontario, identical to Tom's dial from Tillsonburg, Ontario

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Photo of Swiss movement

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Larry
PJ Harwood was a Percy J. Harwood, born about Jan 1877 in Ontario according to the 1911 census. He is listed as living in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba. He is listed as a Presbyterian and a jeweler.

On Edward Harwood in Pembroke, he was born about 1845 in Quebec & listed as a Roman Catholic.

If any of that helps on determining if they are related.

Tom

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
A close-up picture of the private-label dial on the Regina Swiss movement CH Ward Commercial Standard London, Ont.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Close-up of the Regina (Omega) 16 size movement

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Case Back

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Keystone case trademark.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Thanks to Robert Jones my Elgin 18 size, 23 jewel, Veritas with a private-label 12 hour Arabic dial marked "LH Doll, Calgary, Alta."

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Another view of the dial with the bezel off.