Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11

Closed Topic Closed
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Meet Me On Crescent Street "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Great movement, Derek. If you ever think of selling it drop me a note. What dial goes with it?

Odin was a Norse god in mythology. The name was corrupted by the English into "Woden" in Saxony legend, from which comes our modern Wednesday - or Day of Woden.

Odin was the father of Thor, god of thunder - and the etymology behind our Thursday, or Day of Thor.

posted
An absolutely beautiful piece of watchmaking Eric. It is indeed one of the finest of the Crescent Streets.

Bud

quote:
The most dazzling of the Crescent Streets, a 17-jewel straight nickel 18-size Model '83:

IHC Member 525
posted
Here is "Odin" face - nice dial but nothing special. Would have been better with a painting of a Viking" long boat" coming down a fjord.

IHC Member 525
posted
And "Odin" case. A heavy 4oz Illinois Sterling silver with gold stag.

IHC Member 525
posted
One of my favorite "92s" An early Crescent St two tone with a Santa Fe dial. I think they were matched together for that railway, sorry -railroad.

IHC Member 525
posted
And the Santa Fe dial.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is my Waltham 18 size, 23 jewel Vanguard

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Movement close-up

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
And Derek it comes equipped with a Santa Fe "RAILWAY" System Standard Dial, while many systems in the United States were called railroad some like the Santa Fe, were railways, like we have here in Canada.

Larry

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Santa Fe dial close-up

posted
Beautiful examples, gentlemen.

IHC Member 525
posted
Larry, your Vanguard movement looks new.

The first public steam railway was opened in 1825 - the Stockton & Darlington Railway which is about 10 miles from where I live. You boys followed a few years later. In those days A. Dennison would be wondering what to do with his life before starting to work.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Derek, in the spring of 1980 I visited Britain, and spent a week in London, then I traveled with a British Rail pass that I have bought in Canada before leaving, I traveled first class on the Inner-City 125's going northward stopping at York for an overnight stay to see the British Railway Museum, I then went to Middlesborogh, and took a side trip to Whitby, and road the Yorkshire Moors Railway between Grosmont and Pickering, continuing northward I stopped overnight Edinborough, then on to Aberdeen, Elgin, and Nairn my father's birthplace, where I stayed a few days then on to Inverness and back to London via Glascow, a great adventure.

A photo from the North Yorkshire Moors Railway

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
North Yorkshire Moors Railway station at Pickering

IHC Member 525
posted
Well Larry, you`ve just made my day. A lot of the places you mentioned are my home ground. My wife & I get to Whitby & York every couple of months.My wife`s ancestors, the Walkers, were shipbuilders in Whitby many ,many years ago & went on to sail with Capt.Cook -the man who discovered Australia & other bits & pieces. Scotland - if you get the weather, is the most beautiful place on Earth(after Yorkshire). Grosmont- a railway run by volunteers has many old steamers including "Mallard" the fastest steam locomotive. Anyway, I digress, your Vanguard still looks like new.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Derek, it's a small world isn't it, I enjoyed my stay in Whitby, fascinating history, I read Bram Stoker's novel Dracula in junior high school, and when I arrived the scene there was just as described in the novel. Thank you for your compliment on my watch, and I hope I'm not offending anyone cluttering up this Crescent Street thread, with these postings.

IHC Member 1411
posted
My Model 83 Appleton and Tracy 2 Tone

IHC Member 1411
posted
The Dial

IHC Member 1411
posted
Here is my Model 92 Crescent St

IHC Member 1411
posted
Model 57 made in 1860

posted
The name "Appleton Tracy" just rolls off the tongue, and came in many patterns within the 18-size models.

The AT&Co is another one of the seven named grades in the Model 92 family, and is one of my favorites:

posted
This one is fronted by the standard Arabic dial: