Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Dueber Special case trademark

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
My Pennsylvania Railroad calendar from 1949, showing their GG-1 electric locomotive, and a modern steam locomotive at one time they were called "The Standard Railroad of the World" with their innovative designs and standardization.

IHC Member 525
posted
Wow ! Pennsylvania Special. You certainly kept that one quiet Larry. This must be the most sought after grade in the 92 models. I would give my fang teeth for one of those. In the guide book it tells us that one of the 21j grades had a gold train, which is a touch extravagant when the train can`t be seen.
Was that railroad company the foremost in the US ?

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Derek:

In its heyday during World War I and in the 1920s Pennsylvania Railroad system, hauled more freight and passengers then it's rival the New York Central, and at that time out hauled both the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe, and the Union Pacific two of the largest railroad systems in the west.

Hard times caught up with the eastern seaboard carriers in the late 1960s, and the two rivals merged together to become the Penn Central, it didn't last long as there were two styles of management, but didn't see eye to eye and they ended up in bankruptcy, the US government took over and turn the system into Conrail, and merged many other failing east coast carriers into the system at the time, in the 1990s it was sold off, and divided between the Norfork Southern, and CSX, which were both large systems of other troubled railroad companies. On the west coast there was also large mergers, with the Santa Fe merging with the Burlington Northern to form Burlington Northern Santa Fe, and the Union Pacific absorbed many other carriers so the United States is left with four big systems, along with the Canadian National. That was a Canadian Crown corporation run by the federal government from after World War I when many other Canadian carriers tried to compete with Canadian Pacific and all went bankrupt, Canadian National Railways was finally offered up for sale by the federal government in the late 1980s at fire price sales, it was brought up by a bunch of smart investors who merged the system with the Illinois Central, that is now one of the five biggest carriers in North America. My company the Canadian Pacific was bought out with a shared take over by Bill Ackman of New York City, we now have Hunter Harrison, the former CN CEO and Illinois Central man, that perform the miracle with CN and recently retired, Bill Ackman hired him and he is now running the show up here in Canada from Calgary, Alberta, and is definitely making some big changes to make the shareholders happy. I have mixed feelings, and only hope it doesn't affect my pension, only time will tell.

Larry

posted
The Royal is the next of the named grades that make up the M92 family:

posted
Pendant-set and 17 jewels make it gorgeous carry watch.

Fronting it is a train-tracked Arabic dial:

posted
HOLY SMOKES!!! on the Mdl. 1892 Pennsylvania Special! Just WOW! Thanks for posting, Larry!

posted
Eric, Maybe I will be lucky one day like Gene Bouffard and run across a rare M92, or even a Royal. Your watches always look 'the best that they can be".

IHC Member 525
posted
I just had to show this ---- a street sign showing THE Crescent Street in Waltham, Mass.

Crescent Street

posted
Another Model 99, and this time it's a 17-jewel Grade 636 with all the gilt hardware:

posted
Fronting it is an excellent Arabic dial with matching spade-and-javelin hands:

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Waltham 18 size Bold Arabic 24 hour dial

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Another view of dial with bezel removed.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Photo of 18 size, 17 jewel movement

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Waltham 18 size, 17 jewel, Model 1892, Serial No. 17,188,443 manufactured 1908, Adjusted 5 Positions, movement marked "MADE FOR Canadian Railway Time Service." The Waltham serial number list indicate this watch came from a run of 1000 from 17187501 to 17188500 and shows as a Grade of ***'t Spec. (Assorted Specials.)

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Case back

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Inside case back

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Case trademark CASHIER EXTRA yellow gold filled case made by the American Watch Case Co. of Toronto, Ontario.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is a photo of my Waltham 16 size, 17 jewel, Model 1908, Grade Canadian Railway Time Service 24-hour dial

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Another view:

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Movement