Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
In Search Of Seth Thomas "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
All nicely wrapped up in a Crescent case:

posted
An ad for the Grade 281:

Notice those miserable half-headed case screws?

posted
The above print advertises the pendant-set variant of the 281, whereas my example is lever-set and has an outboard regulator:

This movement is one of the most pristine in my collection, and is nearly untouched after over a century.

posted
Fronting it is one of my favorite dials, the radial 24-hour red/black double-Arabic:

My thanks to Brian Cavanaugh for supplying NOS hands for this watch.

posted
The beautiful Wadsworth 20yr case was supplied by my friend Phil Sanchez:

posted
Any Seth Thomas fancy dial is difficult to find; it's nearly impossible to run across flawless ones ...

posted
... and this example certainly qualifies.

Just stop for a moment and look at the delicate tracery woven into the numerals, and the silver dots at the minute marks.

posted
Backing that gorgeous dial is a pendant-set 15-jewel two-tone Grade 159:

posted
All wrapped up in another bezel-less internal thread gold-filled case:

posted
Here is an 1896 ad for the Maiden Lane. Note the serial number, 205528 ...

posted
... is only six numbers away from this example, SN 205536 - and note the pattern change. I believe the patterns may have changed with every run of 10 or 20 movements.

posted
Paired with this Maiden Lane is the fabled Gothic dial:

posted
Protected by an excellent B&B case with a blank cartouche supplied by IHC185's own Rob Jones:

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Eric this is really a fantastic post....Thanks for all the work you have put in and I agree with Phil Eek, the photography is superb....

I knew you had Seth's but I had no idea of the extent....if you have more lets see them....

The very best regards,

Jerry

posted
Thanks, Jerry Smile

Seth Thomas, as far as I can tell, had two plate signatures for the Model 5 - the blocky font shown on previous examples, and this one, a more flowing script, on this early (SN 203398) 17-jewel Grade 182:

posted
The movement is paired with this Roman 24-hour dial with open-kite hands:

posted
Fitted into a gorgeous white-gold Illinois case:

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Bravo Eric, once again kudos for your great photographs, this thread will be a great reference for members in the future, and will not get buried, like the individual pocketwatch postings, a fantastic collection you have concentrated on.

Larry

posted
Thanks, Larry Smile

Compiling any kind of list is difficult; there's just no records. Below is an excerpt from Chris Bailey in a 1980 article about the company:

Note the watercourse that ran directly under the factory.

posted
This Model 5 is fronted by the black-only variant of the 24-hour double-Arabic radial dial:

Again, thanks to our own Brian Cavanaugh for supplying NOS hands for this watch. Smile

posted
It's another variant of the Grade 182. Notice the gilt "volcano" style plate screws:

posted
It's housed in a truly gargantuan Philadelphia Silverode case ...