Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
In Search Of Seth Thomas "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Shiela's s/n 350264 Seth Thomas 260 is a double roller. We had to replace the Staff and we used a Illinois staff with no difficulty.

posted
The 382 may have been a late addition to the Model 5 family, as the ones I have seen have all been above the 300,000 range. This example sports a 3-foot genuine porcelain-enamel double-sunk dial.

My thanks to John Grennan for letting this one leave Arizona.

posted
With a serial number nearly at the end of the Model 5 run, this two-tone 382 is a rare double-roller. The tip-off is the recessed well under the balance wheel. Double-roller escapes have two roller tables and no raised guide pin on the pallet fork.

Note the relocating of Safety Pinion to the edge of the balance away from the center pinion.

posted
Another Model 2 in magnificent condition with a flawless Roman-numeral dial and matching hands:

posted
A straight-nickel 15-jewel lever-set movement:

posted
The beautiful Crescent 20-year case appears to be original to the watch:

posted
A segment of the Model 5 parts list, showing some of the most sought-after pieces:

posted
One of the more scarce named Model 5s is the Chautauqua. This example is fronted by a pale blue marked dial with pie-crust scallops where the inner sink would be if it had one, and a matching set of fleur-de-lis hands.

My thanks to our own William White for supplying the porthole. Smile

posted
The movement is a lever-set unadjusted 15-jewel Grade 59 in excellent shape:

posted
The Edgemere is another marked grade found in both Models 8 and 9, open-faced and hunter, respectively. What makes the Edgemere interesting is the number of variants found in this New Eagle grade. Examples came in both nickel and two-tone patterns, from 7-jewel up to 17-jewel.

Here is a Model 9 Edgemere showing the marked dial:

posted
Backing that correct dial is an unusual 12-jewel two-tone variant. There are no jewels at all on the dial side, but the entire train is jewelled on the top plate.

I have not been able to find the connection between Seth Thomas and the name Edgemere. These can be found in both Edgemere, Chicago and Edgemere, USA markings. My thanks to our own Keith Klimkowicz for the movement.

posted
All wrapped up in a nice Illinois hunter case:

posted
The Trainmen's Special is another of the lesser marked grades, and can be found with or without the train on the dial.

posted
It's a two-tone Model 12, and again has all those fake glass cap jewels.

My thanks to fellow New Yorker Roger Nolfe for his work on the hairspring.

posted
All wrapped up in a nice Illinois case:

IHC Life Member
posted
You are welcome Eric. That is a beauty of a case.

Roger

posted
In the 1904 catalog Models 6 through 9 were referred to as Old and New Eagle series respectively, two for open-face and two for hunter movements.

An advert for a what appears to be a two-tone Model 8. Note the lack of a dust ring:

posted
Here's my example of the same unusual two-tone 15-jewel lever-set Model 8:

posted
It's fronted by a lesser Arabic dial, set off by light spade hands:

posted
A recent addition is yet another variant of a 182, but this is a little different - it's not a two-tone, but an engine-turned gilt finish, with the pattern milled into the plates.

Thanks to Phil Sanchez for seeing this example safely home.

posted
It's fronted by an excellent Roman dial with matching light spade hands:

posted
Nicely tucked into a Champion watch case with a floral pattern: