Tools
Reply to Post

Show us your Columbus "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Recent pickup--Columbus 18s-adjusted

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Dial

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Serial number--this watch was recently serviced by Chris Abell

posted
Nice to know I'm not the only one collecting Columbi Wink.

My Log Dial:

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
In a Log Case:

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
Powered by a 15j Grade 302:

posted
That log dial is unbelievably beautiful! I saw one like it in pictures once. That dial is on a level all its own! I might even bookmark this page so I can return and drool from time to time. I didn't even mention those unique hands! What a watch!

I wonder if Columbus made that dial for the Woodmen of the World organization?
Mike

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Nice watch Eric, I also agree that the dial is fantastic. I would think it was a WOW dial, Elgin made some that look just like that & some where I saw an ad once that they were for the WOW.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
I've never heard of the Woodsmen of the World. Who can tell me more?

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is the link to their web page of their history;
http://www.woodmen.org/inside....e_Id=126&hhn_id=6406

I don't know if you like going to cemeteries but their members have some rather unique tomstones in the shape of trees or logs.

Tom

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is one of Columus size 18 watches. The serial number is only 202 away from Eric's

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the dial of 238808

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is another 18s Columbus with serial number 38385.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
the dial of Columbus 18s 38385

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
This is a size 6 Columbus.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
this is the dial of the size 6 #249807

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the size 6 case back.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is the lead off picture of some of my columbus pieces from a historical bit linking the evolution of Columbus Watch Co. to South Bend Watch Co. that I posted at;

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...?r=81610243#81610243

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Choo Choo Dial

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
Columbus movement

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Dial

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Movement

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
Nice dials, Jerry and Bruce. I didn't know Columbus made a 24hr dial.

I didn't realize the Log Dial had two variants: notice that mine has the seconds arranged radially, while Dave's are horizontal.

posted
Have a Columbus Hunter, I finally found the missing regulator (they tended to break I think) and I need to send it in for clean/oil but the private label double sunk dial is near mint.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Claude,
What does your private label Columbus dial say?
Tony

posted
C.H. Thompson
Marshall, Mich

I think C.H. Thompson was a businessman in Michigan at least that is something I think I dug up at one time.
The serial number is 178280 and it is marked adjusted and safety pinion along with Columbus Watch Co., Columbus Ohio. That would put it around 1891-92 and I think it is grade 34, 15J movement if my memory is correct. And from the RR guide book it was RR approved which most decent 15j adjusted watches were. It has a very nice brass case, it's not gold but as you can see it has shine on the inside so I am not quite sure what it is. It isn't worn out because the detail is nearly unharmed with age/wear so the watch does not look like it was abused over the years but during servicing someone took the regulator spring off and did not put it back or even put the two screws back so I had to track the spring and the screws down.

posted
I realize this cannot compete with the previous entries, nevertheless here is a bad picture of my one and only Columbus P.W.
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
posted
You pictures look much better than mine, looks like it has the same dial as mine with the exception of the private label, nice looking watch.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Claude

If you are interested, you watch is from C. Herbert Thompson, according to the 1900 census for Marshall, Calhoun Michigan he was born in March of 1848. His wife (Cornelia) & son (Herbert E.) were living with him along with his 30 year old brother-in-law Floyd Bassett. Both CH & Floyd were listed as jewelers.

1883 C. Herbert Thompson bought the vacant lot near the old post office and built a two-story brick building. Mr. Thompson was a watchmaker and jeweler.

Sights and scenes along the Michigan Central Line

C. Herbert Thompson is a jeweler, born and bred. He has been associated with the business all his life. Born in 1848, he has lived in Marshall since 1860, and has been very successful in his undertakings.

Had another son, Louis B. Thompson who was an engraver.

Tom

thompson

posted
I guess it makes sense that he was a jeweler and probably sold some watches with his own business logo. I have not seen any other watches with the same labeling, it is a nice watch and needs to be cleaned/oiled, it does run but who knows how long it has been since the last service. Thanks I will print that out and put it with the watch for the future.

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Decent two-tone movement, although the plates are a little washed out.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Columbus 16s. For some reason I haven't seen many of these.

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Uncommon Private Label movement. The dial that came with the watch is just a typical fancy style Columbus dial. The case, which looks original, is sterling silver.