Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Anyone have a pic of the South Bend 180 "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jeffrey Tibbs
posted
Hello

Just wanted to ask a favor of the South Bend Community. I have never seen a 180 movement.
If anyone has a 180 , could you post a pic of the movement? Thanks in advance, and thanks to all here who add to the continuing education of us newbies.

Posts: 166 | Location: Dublin, Ohio in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2005
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Jeffrey,

I've never seen a complete 180. I have this "piece" of a 180 that I found in a junk pile.

Best,

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The Grade 180 was South-Bend's top 6-size movement.

We believe production of the 6-size which was based upon a Columbus Watch Company design and used their tooling began in 1902 at the Columbus facility. There were only 1,000 numbers blocked for the 17-Jewel 180 so today they can be a very difficult item to find. I look forward to seeing Brian's and any others that may be around. Please post an image or at least the movement number of any of these you might have or be aware of.

Here is 180 number 389071 from my collection...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jeffrey Tibbs
posted
Thanks Frank , Lin , Brian for the pics. Not a lot of difference from the 160. I have toggled back and forth, so I'll post a pic to compare.

Thanks again for the Education guys

Jeff

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Here are some pics of mine. Sorry for the bad pictures, I'd rather try and straighten a hair spring than take pictures.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Pic 2

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Pic 3

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Pic 4

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Another one shows up!

Picture of Jeffrey Tibbs
posted
Thanks to Lindell , Brian and Frank for posting these pics. I had seen the 160 and 170, but not this watch.

Jeff

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
And yet another one. Picked up pretty cheap because the seller refused to open up the back of the case and list the serial number.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is my 180 number 388403.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the dial. The watch came in an oversized open face silveroid case. I don't know if it had been recased but there are no other case screw marks.

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Ernie, that's most likely a recase. I'm fairly certain that it was originally in a hunter case. The outstanding feature of your watch is the dial. From the script style on it is original and a very nice example.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Hi Frank:

I have a real nice Hunter case I got with a parts Columbus watch. I tried to put the movement into it but the stem diamter is too large and it will not slide into the watch. That reallty surprised me because I thought the SB 180 was basically made from Columbus left over parts.

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Weeeeeeeell, yes it was but some/many parts were modified.

Now one big caveat here is that all 6S Columbus' are NOT created equal. Some are set up for positive stems and some for negative. The gear train is pretty much the same but many of the other parts have slight variations through the years.

Anyways, I would have just filed down the stem until it fit the SB. Problem solved. :-)

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Frank:

I decided that I could file down the stem as you suggested but when I opened the hunter case the stem was laying on the bottom of the case. I have not seen a stem like this before. It appears that the stem fits into another sleeve at the crown. It fits into the crwon only one way. What do you say?

At least it should not be a problem filing down if I get the right end.

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
From your description it sounds like it is modifiable. Are there any particular problems you forsee? I've never seen one like that before either, at least that I can recollect.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Frank:

My first inclination was that the stem was broken. But after examination it appears that it was made that way. When I put it back in the sleeve it only fit in one direction. When I turned the crown the stem turned so I am assuming it should work.

I have been too busy to try reducing it down right now. When I get it done I will post the results again.