Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Assembly of full plate watches. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bulent Ogel
posted
During assembly of full plate watches I am using a simple tool that I made in my company.

Some mainspring part with one end cut on a wire EDM machine. This help to hold the lever.

Is there a better solution?
Thank you.
Bulent Ogel

Posts: 126 | Location: Istanbul in Turkey | Registered: December 14, 2008
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Bulent i have made these before but i coat my with shrink wrap like you use on elect. wires too keep from scratching the movement..something else that will work is a plastic coated paper clip.. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Bulent Ogel
posted
Good idea. Thank you Samie.
Bulent

Posts: 126 | Location: Istanbul in Turkey | Registered: December 14, 2008
posted
The correct way to assemble full plate watches is to assemble the train and lever on the top plate.

Doug Sinclair described the process in this post.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
Picture of James H. Miller
posted
i hold mine with a small piece of rodico pushed in from the top.is there nothing that stuff cant do?

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Lawrence i have tried both ways and i find the other way easier for me..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
I do it the way Lawrence shows. I found it helps if I get eye level with the movement.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I posted this picture about 2 years (and about 150 18s full plate restorations) ago. The rodico works every time, and as you only have to set the bottom pivot of the pallet lever or fork, it is always easy "once you get the hang of it". This has helped me immensly on the 5th pinion models which would be a real bear to do the "conventional way".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007