WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Balance Poising quiz (balance is grossly heavy one side) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
This balance is from a 17J 12s Illinois DR movement. S/N: 341080

Can you spot the problem?

I put the heavy side down in both photos....

Laid the balance side by side with a known good balance from a similar movment...

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
Silver speed screws threw me off for a minute. I was concerned someone might have harvested the gold.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
One half of the wheel rim is bent outward too far?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
The curve on the arm is something I will have to address, but is only a minor contributor.

This thing immediately goes to the heavy side.

IHC Member 1613
posted
Difference in weight between a gold screw on the heavy side and a brass screw on the light side???Also, gold screw looks like a domed screw v. brass screws are flat..

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
It's pretty amazing how much difference in weight there is between a gold screw and a brass screw that for all intents and purposes are the same size.

It was so far out of poise, I just sat and stared at if for a couple minutes, counting the weights, checking their locations, comparing to a known good balance in another watch...

And then it jut jumped out at me that the one balance weight was a gold weight. The gold screw is rose gold in color and lacks the patina of the brass weights.

Swapped in a pair of weights from a donor watch and she came right back to normal.

IHC Member 1851
posted
I did some digging.

Atomic weights:

yellow brass 192.5 ;roughly 1part zinc 2parts copper / varies with alloy
platinum 195 sometimes used for meantime screws
gold 197
lead 207

some gold screws are very soft and easily scarred , this I think would indicate a high karat.

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013