Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

is this a Main Spring issue? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi everybody, Todd the novice initiate here.
i have stopped calling myself "todd the beginner" i got one working so i have promoted myself to "novice"
so, here is my question, as many of you know i just finished an 1884 elgin. when i gave it a full wind it seemed to be running fast, 18 hours later it seemed to be running slow. is this affect caused by an old weak M.S.?
P.S.
cleaned a nasty hairline crack on the dial from the center to 3:30 with a members trick. polident.
to quote him, "this dial is bright, clean and minty fresh."
Todd the novice

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Todd,

In your COA did you clean the mainspring and re-grease or oil it? This will make a big difference in operation. (I'm assuming that the gear train is free ... no binding).

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi Serge,
the gear train is smooth as silk in all positions, ran it with no pallet lever in place and it gave a nice little roll back when the MS ran out. i cleaned and greased the MS with KT-22 but had some problem getting the whole spring back in the barrel so i cut it in half. (joking)
i think i am going to buy a new MS and see what happens.
Todd

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
"Fast" and "Slow" have various causes depending on HOW "fast or slow" they are.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi David,
on full wind it runs just under 2 minutes fast over 12 hours, then slows down over the next 12 hours.
Todd

Picture of Brian C.
posted
It sounds like your mainspring might be set. Try a new spring.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Todd are you changing position of the watch during testing? or staying face up for example?

I understand you are just doing these movements for practice now, but when you get into watches you will be carrying it is always best to go ahead and install a new alloy mainspring if it has a blue steel mainspring. Alloy mainspring are far superior and typically last a long time and also you can avoid some of these issues like you are dealing with.

Rob
www.pocketwatchrepairs.net

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Agreed ONLY if you intend to carry it.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
or if you are a lifelong perfectionist like me, if i don't do the best job i am capable of it will eat at me. thanks to everyone, a new alloy mainspring it will be for my beautiful 7 jewel wonder!
Todd