Internet Horology Club 185
is this a Main Spring issue?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/9413937487

March 02, 2015, 23:13
Todd Verriere
is this a Main Spring issue?
hi everybody, Todd the novice initiate here.
i have stopped calling myself "todd the beginner" i got one working so i have promoted myself to "novice"
so, here is my question, as many of you know i just finished an 1884 elgin. when i gave it a full wind it seemed to be running fast, 18 hours later it seemed to be running slow. is this affect caused by an old weak M.S.?
P.S.
cleaned a nasty hairline crack on the dial from the center to 3:30 with a members trick. polident.
to quote him, "this dial is bright, clean and minty fresh."
Todd the novice

March 03, 2015, 08:20
Serge Barlas
Todd,

In your COA did you clean the mainspring and re-grease or oil it? This will make a big difference in operation. (I'm assuming that the gear train is free ... no binding).

Kindest regards,

Serge
March 03, 2015, 17:14
Todd Verriere
hi Serge,
the gear train is smooth as silk in all positions, ran it with no pallet lever in place and it gave a nice little roll back when the MS ran out. i cleaned and greased the MS with KT-22 but had some problem getting the whole spring back in the barrel so i cut it in half. (joking)
i think i am going to buy a new MS and see what happens.
Todd
March 03, 2015, 21:56
David Abbe
"Fast" and "Slow" have various causes depending on HOW "fast or slow" they are.
March 04, 2015, 07:00
Todd Verriere
hi David,
on full wind it runs just under 2 minutes fast over 12 hours, then slows down over the next 12 hours.
Todd
March 04, 2015, 10:06
Brian C.
It sounds like your mainspring might be set. Try a new spring.
March 06, 2015, 08:22
Rob Carter
Todd are you changing position of the watch during testing? or staying face up for example?

I understand you are just doing these movements for practice now, but when you get into watches you will be carrying it is always best to go ahead and install a new alloy mainspring if it has a blue steel mainspring. Alloy mainspring are far superior and typically last a long time and also you can avoid some of these issues like you are dealing with.

Rob
www.pocketwatchrepairs.net
March 06, 2015, 13:49
David Abbe
Agreed ONLY if you intend to carry it.
March 06, 2015, 17:12
Todd Verriere
or if you are a lifelong perfectionist like me, if i don't do the best job i am capable of it will eat at me. thanks to everyone, a new alloy mainspring it will be for my beautiful 7 jewel wonder!
Todd